Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

It's still too early to render a final judgement as far as I'm concerned—the balconies up here are not clad yet, and there are other finishing touches to go—so how can you tell what the final effect will be yet?

Sure the building isn't finished, but I highly doubt that very specific design flaw(IMO) I took issue with is going to change. It's highly unlikely that they'll be removing the glass panels up there. Though its possibly they might install something in the gaps, I'm certainly hoping that they do.

Whereas you react negatively to what look like uneven floors to you, I see a cue that the building is finishing up with special detailing, and I appreciate the wide expanse of reflective glass. Not sure if there will be lighting in behind this section, but possibly the gaps are there for interesting nighttime effects.

Not sure why they would need any gaps in the glass cladding for any such night lighting installation, they could just put it behind the glass. It may be highly reflective in the daytime but its certainly not at night. As for "special detailing", why bother with the gaps at all? The mechanical would of looked great with it being clad entirely in glass, without the empty spaces.

That said, that they have "messed up" is entirely subjective on your part, VS.

You don't say? And here I thought that understanding was a given, a persons posts being their opinion.

I too usually am a stickler for symmetry, but I think that the appearance of unevenness at the top adds to its character and flavour.

I have no preference for either(symmetry/asymmetry). But if one of a buildings core features is its symmetry, the lack there of in one specific region is a little off putting/jarring. That's not to say that I think it "ruins" the building, overall its a positive addition to the skyline. I just think it would of looked better with symmetry.

I also don't like the gaps in the glass. I think it would have looked better with all glass up there. I will wait until it's 100% complete to really say for sure though.

I have no preference for either(symmetry/asymmetry). But if one of a buildings core features is its symmetry, the lack there of in one specific region is a little off putting/jarring. That's not to say that I think it "ruins" the building, overall its a positive addition to the skyline. I just think it would of looked better with symmetry.

Well, at risk of bandying semantics, if a core feature of the building is its symmetry, but then that pattern is broken, that would amount to asymmetry. It's just that now 'symmetry' itself becomes a term in the relation rather than the description of the relation.

But whatever, you're entitled to your judgment that the top looks 'off'; I'm not disputing that.

Pic taken May 7, 2014

ez4MJcQ.jpg

Does anyone know if they are doing anything for that swiss cheese roof? It looks a little unfinish with that patchy looking exposed concrete.

Today:

ice (1).jpg

ice (2).jpg

ice (3).jpg

ice (5).jpg

ice (7).JPG

ice.jpg

Attachments

• ice (1).jpg
    ice (1).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,872
  • ice (2).jpg