Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

by me

sany0122.jpg

Here they are in the midst of excavation - seemingly oblivious to the fact that office vacancies are very low - completely focused on condos and overlooking the fact that with a little effort, they could start excavation on the office building as well. Clearly I am missing something because this seems like such an missed opportunity.

Iceoffice.jpg

Last edited:
It does seem strange, especially since even with the unexpectedly high demand for new office space, the first one or two office buildings built should have a big advantage in attracting clients who want space soon, while the projects that wait too long might not be filled for a long time, with almost all the immediate demand filled by the projects ahead of them.

I meant land suitable to be built on though. The Leslie Street Spit has made for a surprising, and pleasant, park, but wouldn't be able to hold any significant structures. I'm no civil engineer, but I imagine the amount of work required to create stable, water-free ground would be a lot more difficult and expensive.

I see infilling along the central waterfront in front Harbour Square and as suitable a good option for creating new public spaces in front of all the massive space-consuming buildings of Harbour Square, not because I feel we need to keep building further out into the lake. Indeed, it could challenging to create lands suitable for building.

I agree. We don't to actually "build" anything there. Even if it was just a public grassy knoll I'd be fine with that.

It does seem strange, especially since even with the unexpectedly high demand for new office space, the first one or two office buildings built should have a big advantage in attracting clients who want space soon, while the projects that wait too long might not be filled for a long time, with almost all the immediate demand filled by the projects ahead of them.

From how I see it... a lot of Toronto's office towers are becoming dated. Towers compete for tenates, so if there is a new office tower that offers a more comfortable environment... then it puts pressure on older towers to revamp themselves.

Thats why you see some of the office towers in DT are getting retrofitted, recladded... because they have to compete.

There are still huge blocks available despite the recent higher than expected demand for office space. Sublet space is being snapped up at a discount. Who knows how much sublet space is being withheld as well.

A better question may be why anyone would speculate on an office tower? To say a few bucks on shoring? Why not wait for the opportune time with a blue chip lead signed during a period of high lease rates. Of course throwing 180 million on red is easy when it's not your money.

this is a big site. A problem I see with many of the large developments is that the street level does not have enough variation and texture to make for interesting retail and experiential environment for those on foot. I've seen the renders, and it does not look like Ice addresses this concern. It provides a nice entry point for cars and beautiful interior amenities but would people want to spend time hanging out in the public realm in the area -- i.e. on patios along the street there? Will there be a range of restaurants, shops and grocery stores, including both mom/pop types and chains/franchises?

Back