1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Tories take lead in opinion poll

A

Antiloop33rpm

Its going to be a very interesting election once The Liberals finally lose a vote of confidence. I wont bother making predictions because as I learned very clearly in the last election, Canadian elections tend to swing all over the place. It will be interesting to watch though. Last election The Liberals were able to use The Conservatives stance on gay marriage to keep voters from swinging away. This time, they dont have that strong card they can use. Unless The Liberals can put forward some really good platforms on issues such as government accountability, election reform, and anything else to help rebuild their credibilty, The Conservatives are going to put up a strong challenge (even with Stephen Harper as leader).

So yeah, not much else to say other than Vote NDP!

www.cbc.ca/story/canada/n...51105.html

Tories take lead in opinion poll
Last Updated Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:08:31 EST
CBC News
A new poll conducted after the release of the Gomery report suggests the Conservatives have now pulled ahead of the Liberals in public support.

The poll, conducted by the Strategic Counsel and published Saturday, suggests the Tories have the support of 31 per cent of Canadians, an increase of six percentage points from a similar poll carried out three weeks ago.

Although Justice John Gomery exonerated Prime Minister Paul Martin in his report on the sponsorship scandal, the poll found the issue has eroded Liberal support across the country.

The Liberals have 28 per cent, down 10 percentage points from an Oct. 14 poll. The NDP trails with 20 per cent, and the Bloc Québécois is at 13 per cent.

The pollsters interviewed 1,000 people, starting one day after the Gomery report was released.

The Oct. 2-3 survey, conducted for the Globe and CTV, is considered accurate to within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. With that kind of margin of error, the Liberals and Conservatives could be seen to be in a virtual tie for support.

In seat-rich Ontario, the two parties leading in the poll each had 35 per cent of support. The NDP now leads in British Columbia, while the Bloc has 57 per cent of the francophone vote.

The results may be just the political ammunition the opposition needs to trigger an election, Strategic Counsel chair Allan Gregg told the Globe.

The prime minister promised to call an election 30 days after Gomery's second report, due in February.

Martin will talk about the interim report during his two-minute radio address on Sunday.

There will be an election in the spring. My bet is that there will be another Liberal minority. They will have an uphill battle to win any new seats in Quebec, and may even lose some in Ontario.

Meh, it's a knee-jerk reaction to the Gomery Report... it's happened before. The Liberals will be back up in a few weeks.

Thats my thought too, but then again, you never know what will happen by the time voting day comes around. If the election resulted in another Liberal minority win with the NDP holding the balance, I would be happy. At least then there might be someone to actually put a little pressure on the Liberals to act on their word.

Thats my thought too, but then again, you never know what will happen by the time voting day comes around. If the election resulted in another Liberal minority win with the NDP holding the balance, I would be happy. At least then there might be someone to actually put a little pressure on the Liberals to act on their word.

I think at most they will lose maybe 3 or 4 seats in Quebec. The overall popular support for the Liberals may be down here, but most of the ridings that are Liberal right now are going to be tough to crack.

I think in Ontario they might lose half a dozen or so, at most, but I think a number of those will be lost to the NDP (assuming Jack Layton has learned a thing or two since his first election and is more comfortable doing the election rounds) and a few to the Conservatives of course.

Overall I dont think there is going to be that much change. Like I said before, I think a Liberal minority is likely and the NDP holding the balance of power with around 165 seats total between them. Despite anger towards the Liberals, the country is doing fine and cautious skepticism towards the Conservatives are likely to keep them from gaining ground.

Meh, it's a knee-jerk reaction to the Gomery Report... it's happened before. The Liberals will be back up in a few weeks.

It'll be a Bloc minority government - you heard it here first.

^And they will work to separate Canada from Quebec. I now see the strategy...

I have yet to find any reference to this fairly major (though certainly short-term) political shift in the Star. It may be there somewhere (I only browse the online version), but it certainly isn't getting any significant coverage. And that annoys me b/c the Star has too many readers to be that opennly biased. (post to but who reads it?)
As for the Conservatives lead, I cant see this lasting. But something I think is important is that for a while there it looked like the Liberals had a potential majority going. Now all that gain is wiped away and they need to start rebuilding their numbers and the time span to an electon is sort of fixed - and I see this important because both party's leaders are going to be on the plank unless they win a majority. And that would be a good thing, because though nearly every election since the beginning of time has been between a giant douche and a turd sandwich - I'm ready for some new ones.

Im glad the NDP did the right thing (almost) and is likely to force an election in the next days. The Liberals are still likely to come out minority leaders, but Ive grown tired of their antics over more than a decade of rule and I hope this well help push for more change. Im really hoping that election reform also becomes and issue and we can start to have a serious dialouge on proportional representation or another system that will be reflect the popular vote and how it turns into actual parlimentary representation.

Jack should grow a beard.

head2-lrg.jpg

(For the record, I like Jack and him growing a beard would be a very, very bad idea.)

re: the star's coverage: oh here it is: (ps I like the rainbow, not exacly subtle but nice anyway)...

NDP won’t support Liberals: Layton

051107_layton_ndp_front.jpg

Nov. 7, 2005. 02:26 PM
New Democrat Leader Jack Layton says he won’t support the federal Liberals in the event of a confidence vote in the House of Commons. In a speech at a Toronto hotel, Layton today rejected Prime Minister Paul Martin’s proposed changes to health care and said the life of the current Parliament is likely limited.

Back