News   Jul 31, 2024
 160     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 207     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Tipping problem

I tend to tip between 13% (basically the sales tax) to 20% though I don't tend to tip based on quality of service. It's mostly just a number that's over 13% that rounds to an even dollar. I don't base it on service because a lot of times it's not the fault of the server if something takes longer than it should. As long as they check in every so often to see if everything is cool, then I'm fine with it. Usually the only time that doesn't happen is when it's a new server who you can tell is struggling.

One cool tip related story: In the early 80s, when my Mom was 20 or so she worked at a restaurant in St Catharines. One night Harold Ballard (former Leafs owner-from-hell) walked in on his way home from a game in Buffalo. The restaurant was at best half full and he demanded that everyone leave the restaurant because he wanted it for himself. So he paid everyone's bills and gave each table money for a meal elsewhere. So with the entire restaurant to himself he made extreme requests like requesting that every time he tapped the ashes from his cigar into the ashtray, that he get a new ashtray. He basically had the 3 servers running around doing everything he asked. When he left, he gave my Mom and the two other servers $1,000 each as a tip. When she got home she basically ran to my grandparents room and jumped on their bed because she'd never seen a $1,000 bill before.

So ya he was a complete ass, but a $1,000 tip ($2,500 in today's dollars) is pretty damn good compensation.

I rarely ever tip. I think servers should be paid per hour and not expect tips. I don't tip delivery drivers or taxis either.

Your parents must be proud.

Last edited:
As some one who has worked in the hospitality industry you could say that I may have a biased opinion. I believe that tipping is only valid when the service has been granted, but even so I still tip more than what I should. What everyone has to keep in mind is that all restaurants that you can make up words of $100 per shift will charge the servers to works there. This is what is called a tip out and it ranges from 2% to 6% of your sales. To put in in perspective if I served a table that spend $300 after taxes I had to pay 3.5% of that or $10.5 into tip out. I am out this money if they did not tip anything, because the restaurant does not care or can not distinguish between people who do tip and those that do not. So please people, make an effort to at least cover the severs tip out by tipping 5% even if everything did not go the way you would have liked and please don't confuse service with not enough alcohol in you drink or not tipping because you did not like the food ect...

thanks
and what part of asia? i'm guessing not all of it?

Korea... but Taiwan and Thailand were the same. I might suspect Singapore to be different since it's the most westernized city in this neck of the woods but I'd have to go there for myself to let you know.

What's interesting is that you always pay for your meals on your way out here, never at the table. Whenever you order a drink or anything extra they update your bill for you (which is always at your table). It's an interesting concept and one that works quite well. Another thing is that the waiters don't come around asking how you're doing, you either press the button for their attention (someone will come right away) or you yell out "hey over here" in Korean it sounds like "Cho-gee-oh") it's not rude to do it and again you get someones attention right away. When I first got here (and had no clue what we were doing) and ordered a dish that was cooked on your table in front of you (we don't have enough of that in Toronto.. dukgalbee, sam gyup sal, shabu shabu etc) they will always help you cut the food, stir it and tell you when it's ready to eat. It felt so wrong not to tip when you got so much attention ... so in those rare cases I have insisted on tipping.

Does anyone know if the delivery charges that are tacked on to pizzas these days (particularly by Pizza Pizza) go to the drivers? I have no problem tipping and I am usually quite generous. But I have serious issues with tipping someone who is collecting a delivery charge anyway.

I have asked several Pizza Pizza drivers and they don't give a straight answer. Ditto for the website, etc.

Does anyone know if the delivery charges that are tacked on to pizzas these days (particularly by Pizza Pizza) go to the drivers? I have no problem tipping and I am usually quite generous. But I have serious issues with tipping someone who is collecting a delivery charge anyway.

I have asked several Pizza Pizza drivers and they don't give a straight answer. Ditto for the website, etc.

There was a huge thread on this on another board but my understanding is delivery charges go to corporate and not the driver.

I rarely ever tip. I think servers should be paid per hour and not expect tips. I don't tip delivery drivers or taxis either.

Your date must die of embarrassment when you don't tip. Or you dine at burger king.

I always over tip at places like Opus or Scaramouch, A few of the waiters remember my name and the brand of Merlot i drink. Little things like that will help in tips.

Even if you go to a fast food place, tip every once in a while, even if it's just a buck. In a lot of places (more so outside of the city) most people working in fast food are students making minimum or student wage and a tip is always appreciated. When I worked at KFC in high school, I would get only a few tips a month but they were really appreciated because of the extra thought that went into giving it since most people don't care about fast food staff. At the time (only like 7 years ago), I was making $6.50/hr trying to save for school. When 2 bucks is the equivalent of 20mins of work, it's certainly helpful. At the very least it's pocket change so they don't need to go into their bank account to buy a coffee or something.

Even if you go to a fast food place, tip every once in a while, even if it's just a buck. In a lot of places (more so outside of the city) most people working in fast food are students making minimum or student wage and a tip is always appreciated. When I worked at KFC in high school, I would get only a few tips a month but they were really appreciated because of the extra thought that went into giving it since most people don't care about fast food staff. At the time (only like 7 years ago), I was making $6.50/hr trying to save for school. When 2 bucks is the equivalent of 20mins of work, it's certainly helpful. At the very least it's pocket change so they don't need to go into their bank account to buy a coffee or something.

I second this. I'll tip 90c for my 1.10 Coffee Time small occasionally.

"Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."

I did however, tip my urologist,

well obviously. how else are they supposed to get into your urinary tract?

p.s, the proper term is glans, not tip. ;)

Tipping etiquette...

MetroMan: Good insight on tipping for services rendered!
You posted a good overview on how tips should be applied.
Yes-People do depend on tips to survive-It's the same in Canada as in the US!
Thoughts by LI MIKE

*Mr. Pink rubs two fingers together*
"Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin, playing just for the waitresses."

In a few months, the minimum wage for liquor servers will be up to $8.90 per hour, almost 50% higher than it was 5 years ago.

Bad tippers can simply dine like Arafat...a different restaurant every time.

There's so many restaurants in Toronto that you don't really have to tip if you think you'll never go back to that restaurant, at least for a few years until there's a staff turnover....:D

I tip the guy at New York Sub--cuz he works hard and makes the best food in the city!

When I get takeaway food I'll walk over and pick it up, I don't have it delivered so I don't tip at the restaurant, I've often wondered if that's appropriate or not. I tip 15% + when I dine out however if I get bad service I won't tip at all. By bad service I mean really bad service and I don't feel bad about it. If the food is bad or if I see the restaurant is understaffed and the wait staff are busting their butts but screwing things up, I'll still tip just as well because there is obviously some kind of a scheduling problem and no fault of the wait staff. I don't tip cab drivers anymore (when I rarely take them) as the fare charge never went down when gas prices decreased.

Back