News   Jul 31, 2024
 44     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 281     1 

Tipping problem

Tipping bartenders generously often has advantadges. The good ones will remember you and often give stronger drinks or ocasional freebies or let you get away with little extras like having one more drink after last call or not kicking you out exactly at closing time, or inviting you to the afterparty... they always have an afterparty to go to!

Tipping bartenders generously often has advantadges. The good ones will remember you and often give stronger drinks or ocasional freebies or let you get away with little extras like having one more drink after last call or not kicking you out exactly at closing time, or inviting you to the afterparty... they always have an afterparty to go to!

I remember one time at Schmooze... I was with some friends. I don't know what I did, but I ordered my first drink (it was around 10:30pm, just starting to get a bit busy) and I left my usual tip (a loonie or toonie) and for some reason I drank free the whole night, no explanation... whenever I ordered a drink from him, he'd put it up, then go serve another customer, no questions asked, I hung around the bar the first few times... Maybe he liked me, maybe someone said to put my drinks on their tab... I don't know, but I did get pretty hammered that night for free :D

^ lol...

I know many bartenders and they do have the discretion to treat a customer or two to free drinks to get the word out about how cool the bartenders are at that particular club. They usually pick somebody outgoing who looks like they have lots of friends and yes, somebody who tips well. They call it "fishing for sharks" (you'll come back with all your buddies next time and tip well). Looks like you were the lucky one that night.

Takeaway food?? When did this site become Urban London? ;)

I've two good friends originally from England and a third who stays with me each summer for a month or so. They all use takeaway which I think has a kitschier sort of ring to it than takeout, so I use it. I used to refer to unseemly types as sketchy, my friend from Nottingham describes them as dodgy which I like a lot so I adapted that as a favorate a few years back too.

I associate the term "dodgy" with the British comedian Norman Vaughan who used to be on telly in the early '60s - his patter consisted of thumbs-up "swinging!" and a thumbs-down "dodgy!" comments about this and that, and became a pop cultural expression like Letterman's "top ten" list.

Back