News   May 03, 2024
 628     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 300     0 

Timothy's on Avenue Rd - Closed

bAuHaUs

Member Bio
Reaction score
Noticed that Timothy's Coffee on Avenue Rd at Melrose has moved out...anyone heard who's moving in?

I used to deliver NOW Magazines to that Timothy's. It always seemed empty to be honest.

It seems like a lot of Timothy's cafes, especially those with ample seating have shut down. There used to be one across from Holt Renfrew at the concourse level, but it's now a Starbucks.

Yup, the one in the Beach area on Queen St E has also closed down...they never seemed to get off the ground in the premium coffee segment, unlike Starbucks & SecondCup.

They have a good product, I guess they never branded an identity. They were always somewhere between Starbucks and Tim Hortons. The Asian couple that ran this Timothy's were always courteous. But the crowds were a block south at Starbucks.

It was always too bright in there, or the patio outside just didn't have enough canopy cover...something has always been missing from the Timothy's locations and the others managed to figure it out.

Closures of Timothy's that I know of in the last year. Bay & Cumberland, Jarvis & Front, Elizabeth & Gerrard, Yonge & St. Joseph, Holt Renfrew Centre, Yonge & Temperance, Bloor & Yonge. What I got from some owners, was that after so many years, they are required to renovate and update the restaurant. This can cost up to $200,000 depending on the size of the place. They either didn't have the $ or didn't think the amount of business justified it, so they just walk away. A very disappointing end for these people. Buying a franchise is really hit or miss.

Hopefully we'll get a Tim Hortons... and the Sun.
Back to basics.

Bye bye organic shrimp cappuccino latte mocha in a venti

I only tried Timothy's coffee twice and both times I found it water and weak. Of course, I didn't go back.

The one at NYCC / 5160 Yonge closed as well last summer/fall. (Starbucks and Second Cup are doing quite well in the same market.)

I always thought that Tim Hortons should just buy Timothy's.

Not only would they get the economies of scale (from a purchasing point of view) that goes with being part of a big organiszation (therefore lowering their costs) but Tim Hortons would have a more upscale brand that they could experiment with at limited cost.....and the names work well ;)

I've seen two Timothy's here in Seoul (in addition to two New York Fries, great to see Canadian companies over here) and one store was huge but the lights were off at 6:00pm on a Saturday night in a busy area, I'm assuming it wasn't open yet or just went out of business, I'll go take another peak. The other was quite small and very busy. Coffee shops here tend to be 3-4 stories and filled with people who are insane enough to spend $4-5 for a simple coffee.

In Toronto I have always felt that Timothy's was the best of the big 3 premium chains, so it's sad to see them go under. It's sad that Starbucks and Second Cup pretty much own the premium market to themselves when the city has truly superior options almost everywhere you look (Balzac's, Moonbeam, Java World, The Green Beanery etc etc etc).

I always thought that Tim Hortons should just buy Timothy's.

Not only would they get the economies of scale (from a purchasing point of view) that goes with being part of a big organiszation (therefore lowering their costs) but Tim Hortons would have a more upscale brand that they could experiment with at limited cost.....and the names work well ;)

When I first saw the brand, I assumed that that is what they were doing.

Back