News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Time to get rid of the TTC

TigerMaster......

Yes, I know what Queen's Park is and I know a lot about Ontario and Toronto. I was borm and raised in London and went to school in Ottawa and Toronto. I spent the first 25 years of my life in Ontario and go back to Lon/Tor every year.

If you do not believe TTC boundaries or tranference over to Metrolinx is possible or even wanted fine but why the hell does Miss and Bram have different systems? It is lunacy for there to have more than one transit authority for each Regional Municipality. If memory serves there are 10 different transit system outside the TTC & GO when there should only be 4...Peel, York, Halton, and Durham. That is one thing that York Region got right.

As far as blaming Queen's Park and Ottawa there is some validity in that but no more of a burden than other Ontario cities have to live under and same for everyother city in the country when it comes to funds from Ottawa.

As far as blaming Ford, again some validity but Miller didn't help. He completely ignored the DRL and TC's price take soared 50% within 18 months of it being announced. His LRT or nothing mentality did also not acknowwledge the reality that some areas needed total grade separation like Eglinton or using BRT along Hydro corridors. Ford may have cancelled Sheppard but where the hell is the TTC on extending DM to Consumer thru a tunnel? Miller's plan included a tunnel thru that stretch as well so why isn't it being built right now. Why did Miller insist on tunnels on the Spadina ext when the only area that needed tunneling was the relatively small section under York. Why the Taj Majal like stations in a city that can't afford it............that was MIller's doing not Ford's.

It was Miller that turned a potential city wide rapid transit LRT network into an improved local service system but putting stations every 2 to 3 blocks. It was Miller who created a totally disjointed TC system where one was going to have to transfer onto another LRT eventhough one would be going the same direction on the same road ala Eglinton/Kingston LRTs. Why didn't Miller put his foot down in the first place and state categorically that the ARL would use EMUs instead of diesel..........he could have played hardball and used obstruction against Metrolinx.

As far as Miller and Ford, neither one has even considered actually paying for ANY of the TTC lines themselves. No other city on this planet expects senior levels of government to pay for 100% of their transit infrastructure costs but Toronto does. Kitchener, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton are all contributing a good chunk of their own funds and hence are getting rapid transit expansion but even the idea of that in Toronto is heresy. Toronto thru the new City of Toronto Act actually have more rerenue power than anyother jurisdiction in Ontario but the idea of paying their fair share is still out of the question whether.

How can Toronto bitch at Ottawa when Ottawa offered $300 million for TC which is exactly $300 million more than Toronto has? This made worse by the fact that they haven't used any of it yet while it could be using it right now to build the DM to Consumers tunnel?

Ford maybe an idiot but Miller flately refused to put his money where his TC mouth was. According to Miller Toronto desperatly need TC { and only his version} but apparently not enough to cough up on dime to help pay for it.

Toronto's refusal to pay for any of it own infrastructure, poor planning, political ineptitudes at City Hall, bureaucratic inertia, enviornmental assesments that have turned into 3 year long make-work projects,and lack of regional planning is at the core of the TTC's problems. No doubt Toronto will continue to bitch but as they do other cities in Canada continue with their mass/rapid transit expansion and Toronto creates new plans with pretty new map and pretty coloured lines on them.

The answer is obviously yes.

Does it cost the TTC more to transport a passenger 100 times per month or 50 times per month.

This arguement leads to the obvious conclusion that there should be no Metropass.

What benefit would the TTC get from making a 20km trip fast and easy, when the revenue from providing that trip is the same as for a 2km trip but the cost is much higher? Fare zones would make express routes more financially feasible. Why do you think it takes almost 2 hours to get from Malvern to downtown Toronto? The answer is providing a faster alternative would cost the TTC too much, and fare zones would help alleviate that.

Where does this idea come from that short trips don't occur in the suburbs? Suburban buses are full of people catching rides to their local plaza, mall, community centre, and employer. The Rexdale resident who shops at the Albion Centre and works in an Etobicoke warehouse would also benefit from zone fares.

Fare zones exist elsewhere. I don't hear tales from London or Berlin being trapped in the suburbs because they were asked to pay an extra fifty cents for their longer trip.

Last edited:
I have been on other cities' transit systems. For example, Montréal, New York City, Atlanta, etc., but Toronto still seems to provide better service than them. The fares, on the other hand, could be improved by getting operating subsidies from the province and/or federal governments, which Toronto only gets from the city.

Toronto does not provide better Service then NYC imo. Of course they get subsides though and are run by the state.

This arguement leads to the obvious conclusion that there should be no Metropass.

Metropass should be phased out.
I have seen several occasions where ttc patrons take the streetcar for 1-2 stops, and it was not even winter.

You pay based on the distance and the frequency you use the system. Fair and square. It will provide more cash flow for ttc in the end. All this "why do you punish the suburbs" is nonsense. Ask someone to pay the same for traveling 3 station as 20 station, that's punishment.

You don't need to "attract" riders. Just ask them to pay for the fair share.
It is not like if you charge $1 more for each trip, they would all of sudden decide to pay $20 a day to park in downtown for work everyday.
Yes people living in the fringes need transit more than those in the core, but that is not excuse for the downtown/inner city riders to subsidize them on a daily basis. Did you realise that when you humanely offer them discounted price, those who take shorter trips are paying more than they should? Do you think St Jamestown, Regent Park and UofT students are all that wealthy enough to subsidize those who live at Yonge/Finch Sheppard/Bayview condos?

Double speak. Everyone pays the same fare. Downtowners are not subsidizing anyone, and like diminutive said, and I totally agree with, it’s unfair to demonize certain areas as leeches, because you couldn’t prove which areas are “leechesâ€
I am tired of hearing "downtowners are rich latte sipping bastards, just ask them to pay more, who cares" kind of statement. Most people I know who lives far from downtown move there to buy big houses, not because they can't afford living in closer areas. In terms of rents, there is no significant different between an apartment at Finch/Victoria Park and one at Lansdown/Dundas. Low incomers would hardly move so far away because rent is cheaper.
Again with the double speak. Downtowners pay the exact same fare as anyone else. Most people I know live far from downtown because that is what they can afford. You’re dreaming if you think everyone should live downtown, or that low-incomer live in transit poor areas because they choose to. It’s a lot more complicated then you think. You do not even know what the downtown boundaries are:
http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_chapter1-5/6_downtown_oct2009.pdf

That is the downtown boundary. Not a large area compared to the size of the city. Quite frankly, I am tired of hearing this “fair share†excuse, because you have shown you have no idea how to determine what’s considered “fairâ€. It’s totally subjective. Quite frankly, I consider Toronto to be a zone, with steels as the boundary. I am sure 90% of member disagree. Totally subjective. Those students at Lansdowne/Dundas will be howling that they have to pay more to travel that short distance. Hell, you’re totally ignoring the students who live in the fringes, but travel to the downtown schools.

My final point on this issue is a simple one. You can get on your soapbox and yell to the clouds about how the ‘burbs are leeching off those poor downtowner’s, but you have no way of proving it. You have no idea what areas are leeches. All you’re doing vilifying an large part of the city, based on some bias towards high density. You do not realize that travel pattern also include a significant number of resident leaving the city to work.. Many downtowner’s travel outside the core to work, just as many suburbanite’s make short trips in the suburbs.

Actually, you want people to pay based on distance and frequency of use. You really want to discourage people from using transit with such a overly complex system.

I know that is how Presto work, the cost of each trip decreases until you reach the minimum number of trips.

Last edited:
I know that is how Presto work, the cost of each trip decreases until you reach the minimum number of trips.
That's entirely up to the operator. Of the half-a-dozen or so agencies now using Presto, as far as I know, only one has the decreasing cost thing.

Back