1.9K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Tim Horton's in Times Square

Diner’s Journal - The New York Times Blog on Dining Out
July 14, 2009, 1:47 pm
After the Doughnuts, Coffee
By Julia Moskin

O.K., we heard you. In response to reader comments about our tasting of Tim Hortons and Dunkin’ Donuts doughnuts, I made a “Timmies run” (note to Canadians: New Yorkers will not be saying that) for coffee this morning from one of the newly opened Tim Hortons in New York.

As at yesterday’s tasting, we tasted it side by side with Dunkin’ Donuts product: black and then with milk and sugar. (Unlike the doughnut tasting, this one wasn’t blind.)

Each small coffee cost about $1.50: cheaper than Starbucks, but more expensive than Midtown’s coffee carts and delis, where the price is $1 or less.

And now to the quality. We’re well aware that many people think Dunkin’ Donuts serves good coffee. Yes, it’s smooth (unlike much cheap coffee), but admit it: DD coffee sorely lacks coffee flavor. Everything that makes coffee delicious: earthiness, smokiness, toast and tobacco, or however you describe that indescribable flavor and aroma, is tamed right out of the cup. (For the record, I don’t like Starbucks drip coffee either: bitter, and over-roasted. Of the mass outlets, in my opinion, McDonald’s coffee is the best.)

But our tasting shows that the many fans of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee will be delighted by the Tim Hortons product. It’s almost identically bland: perhaps a touch smoother and with marginally more flavor.

Overall: Like the doughnuts, a near-draw.

Back