News   Sep 06, 2024
 231     0 
News   Sep 06, 2024
 424     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 1K     0 

Tibetan Suppression by China

I'm all for freedom of expression, and I don't doubt that media coverage in the West is somewhat skewed towards the Tibetans who can do no wrong; however, this event really upsets me. And I'm puzzled why the local coverage of it has been rather slim even as the story has gone international. A similar pro-China (or should I say, anti-Tibetan) protest also happened in Calgary.

--

THE EPOCH TIMES: TORONTO CHINESE RALLY TURNS UGLY
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/8-3-30/68263.html

TORONTO—A rally that was billed as promoting "anti-violence" turned hostile on Saturday as flag-waving Chinese denounced Tibetans who they blamed for the recent turmoil in Tibet in which 100 are said to have died.

Close to 1000 Chinese were in Toronto's Dundas Square for the afternoon event, many of them students.

"Dalai Lama die there!" some Chinese shouted at a group of Tibetans who had gathered across the street from the square to protest. "Leave Canada!" others urged.

Tibetans say the Chinese rally, which began orderly, was designed to incite hate against them.

The event was promoted in Chinese-language press as a rally to tell the "truth" about Tibet and "safeguard the reunification of the motherland."

Several major Chinese-language media outlets in Canada have parroted the Chinese communist regime's line on Tibet, blaming the turmoil on the Dalai Lama and his followers and fanning a nationalist animosity toward Tibetans. ( Read more )

The rally began with a parade of speeches repeating the Chinese regime's line on Tibet: that it has long been part of China, that the Chinese government spent millions trying to help the Tibetan people, and that Tibetan monks and youths led violent protests in Lhasa recently that caused death and suffering of Han Chinese, the majority ethnic group in China.

This series of photos shows a man, identified as university student Yang Shao by other students, charging across Yonge Street with a Chinese flag. He was detained by police but later released. (The Epoch Times)
This series of photos shows a man, identified as university student Yang Shao by other students, charging across Yonge Street with a Chinese flag. He was detained by police but later released. (The Epoch Times)

The speeches were interspersed with patriotic Chinese songs. No mention was made of police violence used to quash the protests, nor of the Tibetan grievances that experts say sparked the initially peaceful protests in Lhasa.

China has helped Tibetans "protect, spread, and develop" their culture, said one speaker.

An organizer who spoke in English claimed the Chinese regime had "helped Tibetan people to improve human rights" by making them literate.

"People were just blind faith to believe in their religion," he said. "They were controlled."

The rally became dramatic when a Tibetan refugee took to the stage waving a Tibetan flag. He was seized by a group of Chinese who dragged him away before police intervened to separate them.

After the incident, the man spoke with The Epoch Times. In tears, he described the suffering of Tibetans under communist rule, explaining that he left Tibet 10 years ago and came to Canada only recently. The man said Toronto Mayor David Miller should reconsider a planned trip to China next month amid the ongoing repression in Tibet by the communist regime.

Angry Chinese turned on the Tibetan protesters, hollering "Dalai Lama die there!" "Dalai Lama lies!" "Liars, liars!" and "Leave Canada!"

They also sang communist party songs.

Police detained one man after he charged across a busy street to where the Tibetans were protesting, waving a large Chinese flag. He was identified as University of Toronto student Yang Shao by other students in the square.

Police at Toronto's 52 Division said the man had been released and no charges had been laid.

A spokesperson for the city office that oversees the Dundas Square said earlier this week that he didn't believe the group organizing Saturday's event would be spreading hate.

Patrick Carnegie, the square's manager of programming and events, said there were rules that governed how the square is to be used, including not belittling any identifiable group and conveying messages only in a positive way.

Any group can use the space "as long as they do so in a safe manner that is in accordance to the bylaws," Mr. Carnegie said.

According to Mr. Carnegie, the event had been approved as a "Love China Concert." When The Epoch Times pointed out that even English-language flyers for the event seemed to suggest an anti-Tibetan theme, he said the group was expected to follow the rules.

Anna Yang and Matthew Little contributed to this story.

Given the ties Epoch Times have with Falun Gong and the relationship between the latter and the Chinese government, I am not sure if either side has much cred.

That said, I wouldn't be suprised if there is ugly nationalism at work here.

AoD

Hmm, interesting Alvin... I was not aware of that association. I saw a brief clip of the confrontation on CityPulse and then googled for the most detailed new article I could find on the topic. Perhaps this helps explain why other newspapers have reported the event in much less detail. Would be nice to know the real story, wouldn't it.

I’m certain people are cancelling their tickets in droves as they realize what is going on. That would be a “good thing†IMHO. What would happen if China hosted the Olympics and nobody showed up? It’s beginning to look that way from here. My guess is that the whole thing will be cancelled by China to further distance themselves from international scrutiny. Looks good on them.

Li Ka Shing is from Hong Kong, not mainland China. There is still a big difference, even though it's now one country. A lot of the money from CityPlace is staying right here in Toronto - he's a huge benefactor for several local institutions.

I am sort of unsure what to make of this whole thing. On the one hand I am heartened by the protests in the torch relay cities; the Chinese government needs to understand that part of being a big player on the international stage is that when you do something bad, you will be criticized. That's how democracies operate, and since (fortunately!) democracies dominate the international system China can't escape that. They don't seem to understand this, but the Olympic protests are helping.

But on the other hand, there's no question this is an extremely sensitive time in China's development as a world power. What happens now and over the next, say, 15 years--China's adolescence as a superpower, if you like--is going to have a huge effect on whether its long-term orientation is one in which it sees the West as a hostile antagonist or a friendly partner. Since in the long run China is going to be an very powerful country, it's certainly in our interest that the view be the latter. But then, the obvious problem: how do we have a friendly, engaging and constructive relationship with China, but also stand up for our values on issues like Tibet (or, for that matter, any number of other Chinese human rights abuses)? I hope someone figures this out.

Poor China.

Can't win. A generation ago China was still the darling of the left. Now it's just a mass of humanity run by an odd and ruthless oligarchy that has managed to get the world's factories to build and employ there.

I'm going to do that bunch of old men a big favour and watch the events here at home on my TV.

The $8000 I saved I'll put towards something more meaningful.

It was run by an odd and ruthless oligarchy even when it was the darling of the left a generation ago.

penn jillette makes some good points in this vid...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=4328870

what's needed in tibet is a free government, not a theocracy. contrary to what we are led to believe from the mainstream, buddhism is not a religion free of historical controversy. communism sucks but religious control isn't that much better. there is always a third option.

many think China is like how Russia is today.

A country that is not that powerful. They will have a rather rude awaking in twenty years....

So the Dalai Lama is a liar. Well, whaddaya expect from someone who looks like Sgt Bilko

Li Ka Shing is from Hong Kong, not mainland China. There is still a big difference, even though it's now one country.
If you have a business in China, even if it's in Hong Kong, you're paying taxes and "fees" to the central Chinese government. Perhaps you get to pay them to the Hong Kong "government", who then of course sends them to Beijing.

Don't fool yourself, every time you buy anything from a Chinese firm, even if the product or service is made or stays in Canada (such as a condo), you're sending money to Beijing.

If I was David Miller (heaven forbid), my reaction to the protests against my trade mission to China would be exactly this....

"Torontonians buy Chinese goods, nearly every toy you buy your kids was made in China, most of the computers (yes, even many of the iMacs) the protesting Torontonians are using were made in China, many of your clothes are made in China and now you're buying condos from Chinese developers. By going to China I am recognizing the obvious, that Torontonians love Chinese products, and that supply of goods needs to be built around a relationship, blaa, blaa...."

Whatever, as long as the violent activities harm innocent people, they should be punished. The overseas people did not see the violence in Tibet. they did not see how civilians are being bullied by the mob.

The Chinese government is not to suppress them in the pursuit of freedom. they are protecting civilians, maintaining order

Chinese people have always advocated unity and reunification. we do not like the split.
Tibetans get along with us well.

there are many preferential policies for Tibetan students .

The riots should be suppressed. Many civilians have been killed by mobs.
If we do not seppress, there will be more people being hurt.

the Dalai Lama has been stirring up ethnic conflicts. Dalai Lama should be punished

Back