News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 857     0 

Throw away buildings - CBC

The episode this morning on the radio was particularly irritating.

The "expert" real estate agent explained that condos today are built of "steel and glass", instead of concrete and bricks. As we all know, there has never been a steel condominium built in Toronto (though there were some steel apartment buildings built in the 1950's).

She then cooled off her excited clients looking at a glass-walled corner suite by closing the curtains and then asking them how they felt about the suite without the view. They said it felt "claustophopic". The conclusion: glass walls are misleading purchasers (as opposed to analyzing the proportions of the rooms).

What started out as a dubious campaign against window-wall failures and lack of environmental responsibility has degenerated into scatter-shot criticism of new tall buildings in general.

Why shouldn't the media criticize the new tall buildings? This isn't an assault on "urban living". 30, 40, 50 story apartment buildings are here to stay. Nobody is going to demolish all the condos in Toronto and replace them with single detached houses and cul-de-sacs.

The issues here is developers aren't building big enough units for families, using cheap building materials, dubious cladding, inefficient designs, etc. Developers are more interested in catering to the "investor" or landlord crowd - bachelor apartments, low cost building materials, etc.

We need to put pressure on developers to build good quality housing, not take all the crap they shovel to us!

Last Rant for me... ;)

Despite my criticisms of the feature, I'm not a proponent of pure glass towers. And I actually agree with a lot of what they said. I do have strong issues with their presentation/editorialzing/one sided approach, as I mentioned several times before.

--START RANT--

Probably the last of my written criticisms of the piece, as I am sure its getting tired, is how the implication is made that people who buy into glass towers are buying into the vanity of a building. Frankly, I think a lot of glass buildings are very ugly, some look like naked scaffolding to me.

For me the number one reason floor to ceiling glass is appealing is light. And the number two reason is making the space appear bigger/airier. Both of these, to me, are functional reasons of livability, not aesthetics and vanity. (It's also why 9ft celings are popular as well.). Vanity to me is chosing to buy say designer underwear when Fruit of the Loom does just the same job.

If you do think its vanity, think of living in small jail cell with one small window vs one wall that is entirely a window, and see which one preserves your sanity/health better.

Evaluating window coverage is not too different than evaluating a condo based on its floor plan. Two units may both be 600 sq feet, but one may use that space effectively, whereas the other does not (ie. dead space, etc).

Ironically enough, in episode 3, the 'real estate' agent touches upon floor plan differences, making this differentiation.

However, in speaking on the issue of floor to ceiling glass, only a negative example is presented, ie. by drawing down the blinds on floor to ceiling windows. A valid comparison would be to present the same size condo, that only has a small window or no window at all.

The gimmicky demonstration pulling shades down in the condo unit making the space seem a lot smaller can be done in any room, in any space, and it will appear smaller. Its pure psychology. Anytime you are cut off from the outside world, you will have this effect. Having the CHOICE/OPTION is the feature, and it is a positive.

Living in a congested urban environment in a small condo space, it would only be natural that such buildings would try and maximize their sense of space. And it no surprise that this appeals to consumers, and that it has taken over/dominated the market.

Unfortunately the trade off has been buildings that are not as durable or energy efficient as other building materials. And regardless of how long the lifespan of glass is, yes this is a problem.

--END RANT--

Alternatives?

I am happy that they mentioned there are new energy efficient building codes coming on-line. I'd like the trend to move away from pure glass and the sooner the better.

As a consumer, I like a lot of what some buildings have done in their podiums. Specifically Market Wharf, One Cole, East Lofts, Pure Spirit, just to name a few. I even wouldn't have even minded a lot more brick. All of these do a great job of giving good window coverage, but effectively creating a skin/cladding that is durable.

If these types of podium designs were extended upwards to mid-rise or high-rise, it would definitely be appealing to me, especially if it mean it was more energy efficiency and more durability.

So the old high-rises in Toronto, which don't have a lot of glass, apparently need major retrofitting because they waste so much energy. And now also the new high-rises, which use a lot of glass, will need major retrofitting because they waste so much energy...

Whatever.

The solution is staring us in the face: return to the "Chicago School" of design, encompassing big windows with masonry cladding:

chicago.jpg

To achieve LEED Gold, awnings will be added:

postcard-chicago-ymca-building-earlier-one-note-the-awnings-1909.jpg

Last edited:
I would say your have rather high quality windows - the double pane ones at my place were replaced about 10 years ago due to gasket failures - and at that time they're barely 15 years old. Ditto the roof - clearly the worksmanship and material quality of new subdivision houses are wanting.

Friends and neighbours say that Pella windows are good, but I'm doing more research before I decide. Artistic installed my two recent skylights, and the one they did in 1999 is as good as new.

Roofs ... ah roofs ... do your research before getting a roofing company! There are so many, and the cheapest isn't necessarily the best.

The episode this morning on the radio was particularly irritating.

You just summed up CBC news and CBC news shows in general - irritating. The CBC is the kid in class that reminds the teacher they forgot to hand out homework. I always feel like crap after listening to the CBC. It's the pessimist's network. Glad $1.1B of our tax dollars go towards it.

You just summed up CBC news and CBC news shows in general - irritating. The CBC is the kid in class that reminds the teacher they forgot to hand out homework. I always feel like crap after listening to the CBC. It's the pessimist's network. Glad $1.1B of our tax dollars go towards it.

It's money well spent. With rare exceptions like this one-sided and sensationalist story, their journalistic standards are generally high. On TV, CBC News seems to be the most passionate and knowledgeable about Canada's cities. Hockey coverage is iconic. They build and promote Canadian culture, instead of regurgitating long blocks of American programming. One could listen to the diverse topics on CBC Radio One for hours a day. They've contributed so much to Canadian culture as opposed just pushing American content.

Thanks for posting that- albeit a bit depressing. As someone who regards their condo as an investment and stepping stone it is also quite worrying.

Building Authorities

"Unlike single, detached houses and do-it-yourself building additions, condo towers are designed by licensed professionals. Building authorities rely on these trained individuals to have exercised due diligence with respect to compliance with minimum codes and standards. They cannot enforce better design and construction practices and are left to administer the lowest common denominator. In some cases, as with the Toronto Green Standard, the planning department can intervene at the early stages of a building project to negotiate a "greener" than typical building, but ultimately there are limits to this advocacy role. New buildings seldom exceed minimum code requirements, and even if they do, this is not reflected in any official building rating system. If new buildings were students, most would come home with reports indicating they passed with barely more than 50% in each course. There are no "A"-condos in Toronto on the basis of how they compare with the minimum code requirements."

"Inferior quality building envelopes and deferred maintenance will eventually deflate the prices of resale condo units. A generation of new condo buyers that is planning to build equity and eventually move up to single family detached housing as they form families will be stranded with devalued assets. And so will the empty nesters who cannot sell their homes and get on with retirement. If anyone other than new condo buyers should be concerned about the glass tower condo conundrum, it is the baby boomers who are expecting the appreciation in their real estate investments will be realized along with their retirement plans. When it comes to the real estate market, we are all in it together and the attitude that “I’m okay” among one market sector is a false
security that can quickly become unraveled. "

From the above posted article:
The Glass Condo Conundrum
Ted Kesik, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Professor of Building Science
University of Toronto

Building authorities rely on these trained individuals to have exercised due diligence with respect to compliance with minimum codes and standards. They cannot enforce better design and construction practices and are left to administer the lowest common denominator.

It is the building authorities who set the bar, they have lowered the minimum standard in Toronto.
In the past, cinder block or poured concrete walls were required to separate dwelling spaces in multi unit buildings. This standard was lowered to permit two layers of type x drywall to suffice. This helps the developer, since it's cheaper, and hurts the purchaser.

I had way more problems with water leakage in my wood construction shingled-roof townhouse than anybody I know living in Cityplace.

Back