42     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 495     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1K     3 

The World's Best and Worst Squares

#1. Rynek Glowny - Krakow, Poland

I agree. Truly magical place.

I can totally see why the Italians have quite a few squares on that list. However I'm surprised not to see Red Square anywhere: it's one of the world's best known squares.

The idea is squares that work Mislav -- people may know Red Square, but it's the Downsview Park of squares.

Old Havana should have made the top list with one of it's many squares.

Cathedral Square, and Central Park

30.jpg

276.jpg

Parque%20central%20half.jpg

Dundas Square is just a shooting gallery! Bulldoze it and turn it into a big pit and bury the gang bangers!>:

From my 'Food That Really Schmecks' Mennonite Cookbook:

FUDGE FROM ELLA

2 cupfuls white sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 squares chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons corn syrup

Combine the sugar, milk and corn syrup; add the chopped chocolate and cook slowly, stirring until the chocolate and sugar are melted; then stir occasionally. Boil until 238 degrees (or the softball stage) is reached. Remove from fire, add butter without stirring. Cool until lukewarn, or 100 degrees. Add vanilla and beat until it loses its shiny look. Pour into a buttered pan and mark into squares.

Il Campo in Siena ( which makes the list ) is one of my favourite squares, though it isn't "square" but shell shaped, sloping, and symbolically divided into sections. Ambrogio Lorenzetti's "Good government / bad government" murals are in the Palazzo Pubblico on one side, and the Duomo which has a gorgeous ornate interior with bold striped columns is on the other. You emerge from the narrow little streets into this vast and rather surreal open space ... what a feeling. The Sienese hold their colourful Palio there every summer, much as we have our delightful winter Slush Festival.

Il Campo is treeless too, thank goodness, just like the Piazza Navonna in Rome, another of Babel's favourite Italian promenades and people-watching places. It is home to a wacky Borromini church too.

There's also a circular "square" in Lucca, surrounded by 4 or 5 storey buildings, residential I think, that has a wonderful enclosed feeling to it. I think it was built on the site of an old Roman ampetheatre, though it is much more recent.

Back