News   May 08, 2024
 650     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 907     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.1K     3 

The World's Best and Worst Squares

I'm kinda surprised the Grand Place in Brussels didn't make the list. It's one of the most impressive places I've ever been seen.

Grand_Place.JPG

Heving been to both places, I can say that Grand Place in Brussels is a more intimate smaller square, Rynek Glowny is larger much larger.

I'd go with the intimate and Grand Place has more interesting architecture.

Surprised it didn't make the list either.

Ahhhh Place des Vosges, one of my personal favourites too! To me it's what a square should be in the sense of being a culmination and a destination. Place des Vosges encumpases all that is the Marais. It is a place to go as well as a place to be. Good architecture (although quite specifically historic in this case), human scale, opportunity for various forms of activity (retail and dining around the edges, a museum or two, and lots of space for enjoying the park and the fountains), and lots of foot traffic.

I suppose we can argue which squares are the best or worst, but anybody who's travelled through Europe as an example knows that squares and circles and roundabouts, formal and informal, planned and accidental are everywhere to be found. They are one of the true features of European urban landscapes. I only wish this were a bit more true in North America but due to our ridgid grid patterns only the most planned and formal of squares seems to emerge for the most part. If I could project a desire for distinct urban planning in Toronto, within a North American context at least, it would be for more public square type configurations...bring em on!

If real New Urbanism principles (something better than the New Urbanism styled suburbs we see in places like Cornell) are followed in developments all over the GTA, then I think public squares might be able to make a comeback.

I only wish this were a bit more true in North America but due to our ridgid grid patterns only the most planned and formal of squares seems to emerge for the most part.

The little square at Logan and Danforth is arguably the best public space anywhere in the GTA. It's located in a heavily gridded neighbourhood, but the square is located at an anomaly in the grid where Logan curves slightly before it meets Danforth.

But if one consideration here is how well a square works as a public space where people gather, and that acts as a focus for social and cultural interaction, Brussels' Grand Place probably wouldn't score very highly, since it is packed with tourists at all times of the day, and doesn't really feel like it belongs to regular citizens of Brussels at all. That, at least, was my experience of it.

^ I'm not sure that's really true. My ex's cousin, a lifelong resident of Brussels, held her wedding there, and apparently this is not unusual. It seems to be more of a 'ceremonial' space than an everyday gathering spot. Either way, it's very impressive.

Anyone heard anything recently about either the square proposed for Kensington at College & Augusta (to be dubbed Al Waxman Square, I believe?), or the one proposed for Corso Italia? I'd love it if both of those happened - we need more of 'em. I hope that big parking lot at Queen & Peter also becomes a square, at least in part. The Dominion parking lot at College & Crawford seems to be another obvious spot for one. Where else would you like to see a square in town?

Btw, for those not in the know: there's a very cool little 'hidden' parkette/square just south-east of College & Spadina on Glasgow street.

College and Augusta? Would that kill the strip mall?

Please say yes, someone!

Jean Sibelius square up in the Annex has a certain charm and proportion that fits well with the surrounding detatched houses. By no means comparable to any public spaces mentioned here, it is an excellent example of a neighbourhood square in my opinion not because of the quality of the program in the square, but it's proportions and context with the surrounding buildings.

I've always thought that St. Lawrence Market, North Building, is an ideal place for a square. You'd have it sandwiched between St. Lawrence Hall and the market, and you could have outdoors stalls in several different seasons. I loathe the rendering that is around for the mock-old building that they are planning for the site, and think just having a square would be incredible on that site.

Queen and Soho across from the Black Bull is also high on my list.

Regardless of how you feel about the results at Dundas Square, it's the ideal location for a square. I used to walk by there in the 90's and think "this should be a square".

Bloor could use something, but I can't think of anywhere it's possible.

My fantasy square is the Dominion on College in Little Italy. The grocery store can say (well, maybe it could be prettier) but the parking lot removed (make it all underground?) and it becomes a piazza.

Buried garrison creek might get in the way though -- maybe it could be piped through in a clear glass tube, that would be neat.

Lots of great ideas to put squares. So when does the letter writing campaign begin?

Queen West just seems such a natural choice as it's always so full of pedestrians and more importantly, people just hanging out. Give 'em a space I say. In a more mercenary way perhaps, wouldn't the crowd just add to the draw to this Boho neighbourhood? This being one of the premier people-watching areas.

Can anybody post some pics of good ideas/places for squares, maybe some renderings? Maybe something like this could be submitted to somebody. Hey, nobody seems to be coming up with these ideas without us!!

On a lesser note too, to me any break in the grid pattern, although rare in Toronto but still occurring where one street may veer off course and merge unexpectedly into another, should be a perfect opportunity for some public art or urban planning scheme if only for aesthetic reasons. If there's an interesting intersection of streets it should be dressed up! These are the small things, or visual pleasures, that living in winning cities offer day to day.

A friend of mine who was taking architecture coures once had an assignment to do a concept for that queen site mentioned, so we are far from the only people thinking about it. If I recall the site is owned by a dentist or something who is sitting on the property using the parking revenues. The likelyhood of it becoming a public square in the future is pretty low in my opinion.

When Dundas Square was built there was an article in the Star which did a mock up of the Little Italy strip mall as a square. Looked nice.

I think the Little Italy Square was to have a vague multicultural theme.

Nice to see Montreal's charming St. Louis Square on the list.
Indeed, probably one of the best public spaces in Canada. Still, I think of it more as a small park than a square to be honest.

Back