News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

The Weather

SNOW!

A good thing and bad thing. Good, because me dogs can frolic in it, they love snow. Bad...everything else. lol

SNOW!

A good thing and bad thing. Good, because me dogs can frolic in it, they love snow. Bad...everything else. lol

I've come to tolerate winter in the past decade or so only because my dogs love the snow so much (Labrador Retrievers). It's fun just watching them have so much fun after a substantial, fresh snowfall.

Bring it on!

literally not much more than a dusting on the waterfront. I went up to York U today and it was like a winter wonderland.

From the Weather Office:

First Major snowstorm of the season..
-------------------------------------------------------------
==weather event discussion==

A Major winter storm left a blanket of heavy wet snow over much of
Southern Ontario Wednesday. For regions outside the traditional
Snow squall areas this was the first significant snowfall of the
season. Precipitation began very early Wednesday morning and ended
In the afternoon or evening. Snow amounts varied with the highest
amounts over Eastern Ontario. Lesser amounts were reported elsewhere
as the snow changed to rain for part of the day before changing back
to flurries. Strong gusty southwest winds accompanied the storm.

Total snow amounts and significant winds are listed below.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Location snow amount (cm)

Toronto Pearson 6
Toronto lakeshore trace
Toronto Buttonville 8
Maple 12
Oak Ridges 14-17
Kitchener 4
Wiarton 12
Coldwater 12
Orillia 8-10
Beatrice 7
Trenton 24
Stirling 15
Kingston 13
Hartington (N of Kingston) 17
Kaladar 17
Coe hill (S of Bancroft) 18.5
Cornwall 20
Franktown 20
Ottawa airport 22
Russell (se Ottawa) 15
Powassan 12

Time(lcl) location wind speed and gust (km/h)

9 AM Long Point 87 gust 106
4 PM Windsor 63 gust 91
4 PM southeast shoal 83 gust 100
6 PM Buffalo 63 gust 96
8 PM Toronto Island 70 gust 89
8 PM Toronto Pearson 54 gust 76
1 AM Cobourg 67 gust 87
9 PM Long Point 93 gust 111
1 AM Point Petre 83 gust 100

Looking at the national weather over the last few days, it seems like we have lucked out here.

Minden has 121 cm of snow!

Well, they're in a snowbelt. Toronto is not.
I think what we have lucked out on is temperatures. Out west they have been making record low highs and overnight lows. Extreme windchills.

December 20-21 Atlantic Coastal storm...

Everyone: I would like a White Christmas as much as anyone but...TWO FEET
of snow here on Long Island...one of the biggest December snowstorms in the history of weather records in the NYC area...Coastal areas like LI,Southern NJ
and eastern New England were hit hardest but it was felt inland also in states like Virginia and West Virginia which got upwards of a foot of snow in this storm...the timing was bad because the Saturday before Christmas in recent years has become the busiest shopping day of the year.

From traveling around LI the past three days things are super busy at most any shopping venue thanks in part to the snowstorm and the low temperatures that followed it-it barely got above freezing today (12/23) and that wind chill factor is rough...we finally got a taste of what WNY and the Niagara Region and to a lesser extent Toronto deals with in the Winter season each year...

One final thought: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all here at Urban Toronto and may the coming 2010 Decade be a success for all...
Long Island Mike

I feel your pain, Long Island Mike. Two feet in one dumping might be pretty in terms of looks, but it can't be fun to shovel.

We've largely dodged the bullet here with regards to snow. Seems that everyone else is getting our share - but please don't blame us!

That said, hoping you have a Merry Christmas, too. At least your neck of the woods will look very seasonal!

Has anyone noticed something strange going on with these arctic cold blasts? Cold weather records are being broken on several continents and it's only early January. Something I haven't read any reporting on is a potential for a shortage of fruits and vegetables from the American south. Florida is losing their citrus crops and southern California is in year three of a drought where rich farmland has been greatly reduced to a near dust bowl status. I'm a little concerned about the impact of food supply and prices in the coming months.
It all makes me think that with Global Warming/Climate Change that we should be seriously rethinking vertical farming in and near population centres as job stimulus projects and to secure food supply.

UK blast shuts towns:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...now-go-zone-with-16-inches-falling-today.html

US National Forecast:
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/nationalforecast/index.html

Race to save Florida crops:
http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI140329/

China slammed:
http://www.theage.com.au/world/extr...ge-say-chinese-20100104-lq2e.html?autostart=1

^ Sure, let's inconvenience farmers to appease whining urbanites.

How about we move population centres closer to farms? Any volunteers??

It all makes me think that with Global Warming/Climate Change that we should be seriously rethinking vertical farming in and near population centres as job stimulus projects and to secure food supply.

Sorry, but cold weather has nothing to do with global warming.

Back