News   Jul 15, 2024
 77     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 604     1 

The Weather

Only stupid people will refuse to admit the warming trend is good for Canada. It is the truth yet "liberals" never talk about it as if it is a taboo. Canada can benefit so much if the average temperature is higher by 5C on average. Toronto will have New York's weather, and Montreal/Ottawa will probably have Toronto's. and imagine all those frigid land in the north.

yeah, sea level will rise and we will likely lose some land, which is mostly barren and useless to start with. In return, Canada will get probably 10% more arable/habitable land, isn't that fantastic?

You're empirically challenged. Global warming is there.. Change is not good, hot or cold. If there is not enough rain to make up for the lack of snow the ones that are going to be suffering are the farmers and in the fall out us, as consumers.

how do you know? You are assuming whatever condition we have now is optimal, which is doubtable.

What we have now is better than the world our children & grandchildren could be dealing with in the latter part of this century. Entire land masses will be lost due to sea level rising (bye-bye London, New York City, Florida, thousands of miles of coastlines, parts of Asia etc.), rain forests lost, severe weather patterns, new drought zones - it's all bad.
I noticed that someone had posted this on Facebook after I posted yesterday on this thread - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=global-warming-close-to-becoming-ir

^^ I guess London, NYC, Florida, etc. is all that barren, uninhabited land kkgg7 was referring to in an earlier post ...

What we have now is better than the world our children & grandchildren could be dealing with in the latter part of this century. Entire land masses will be lost due to sea level rising (bye-bye London, New York City, Florida, thousands of miles of coastlines, parts of Asia etc.), rain forests lost, severe weather patterns, new drought zones - it's all bad.
I noticed that someone had posted this on Facebook after I posted yesterday on this thread - http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=global-warming-close-to-becoming-ir

and you think the Earth hasn't endured changes like this before?
People adapt to it. Whatever city is lost (very gradually) will be replaced by new centres elsewhere. Some landmass will be lost, what about the new land that becomes inhabitable?

You're empirically challenged. Global warming is there.. Change is not good, hot or cold. If there is not enough rain to make up for the lack of snow the ones that are going to be suffering are the farmers and in the fall out us, as consumers.

The total amount of rain still always remain the same. We won't lose any rain since it is whatever that is evaporated from the earth the start with.
yes, some areas will have less rainfall, but it will happen very slowly and farmers will be able to adapt to it by farming in land which becomes more arable. You can't say "change is simply bad". The Earth and we the people are in constant change. You think humans thrived during the past millions of years because nature hasn't changed and always remained the same?

Put good/bad aside, the efforts we are trying to stop "climate change" is completely futile. Stop the Earth from entering a warmer cycle by driving less? Good luck with that. The earth and the environment is fine. In 300 years, our children may move to a new planet, who knows. Fussing about CO2 every time is silly.

Judging from this thread, I'm left wondering if the gov't job or whatever that kkgg7 claims to have is "community service". Y'know, like, making licence plates or something...

I'm not sure if the warming trend is good for Canada.
It has an already settled climate that raised generations. We got used to it. We became stronger because of the cold weather.
If it gets warmer it will affect peoples behavior, and then the whole nation. It's not the future I imagine for this country.

and you think the Earth hasn't endured changes like this before?
People adapt to it. Whatever city is lost (very gradually) will be replaced by new centres elsewhere. Some landmass will be lost, what about the new land that becomes inhabitable?

Not with the climate changing at such a rapid pace. Should the rain forests be lost for example, cities, rainfall and farmable land won't matter much, the quantity of oxygen in the air - or lack of - will present a much more pressing problem.

I didn't go looking for this, I stumbled across it - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/28/world/americas/antarctica-satellite-survey/?hpt=hp_c4

Not with the climate changing at such a rapid pace. Should the rain forests be lost for example, cities, rainfall and farmable land won't matter much, the quantity of oxygen in the air - or lack of - will present a much more pressing problem.

I didn't go looking for this, I stumbled across it - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/28/world/americas/antarctica-satellite-survey/?hpt=hp_c4

Sorry, kiddo. The earth is flat. And you don't need to bother invoking "experts" to prove otherwise.

I'm not sure if the warming trend is good for Canada.
It has an already settled climate that raised generations. We got used to it. We became stronger because of the cold weather.
If it gets warmer it will affect peoples behavior, and then the whole nation. It's not the future I imagine for this country.

let's not pretend for a second the cold weather did any good to Canada or Canadians, or most Canadians just like long and frigid winters. If given a choice, I am sure 95% of the population would prefer a much warmer climate. There is no intrinsic link between cold and being a Canadian. Nor should cold weather define Canada.

Affect people's behavior? of course. Not having to dig cars out of 2 feet of snow every winter? Go play basketball in March every year? No more snow tires? Longer growing seasons? No need to fly to Florida for winter break? Saving money on tons of winter clothes? Cities having longer tourism seasons (therefore more income)? Toronto and Montreal becoming more attractive to talented immigrants?

I can't find one single reason why being warmer will do any bad for Canada and its cities.

Your argument is like someone born with only 4 fingers essentially thinks 4 fingers are actually better than 5, and having 4 fingers defines "who he is". If an operation is possible to give him the the fifth finger, he would be scared that too much change will happen and the future will be unimaginable.

Your argument is like someone born with only 4 fingers essentially thinks 4 fingers are actually better than 5, and having 4 fingers defines "who he is". If an operation is possible to give him the the fifth finger, he would be scared that too much change will happen and the future will be unimaginable.

Go for six! And a prehensile tail! Wooo-hooo!!!

Actually, climate is synonymous with change. Before it was attributed to human activity, climate change meant just that: natural variability in the climate - variability which is constant over time. According to the satellite data, on a global basis, there has been no averaged global warming in the last twelve years. Climate is measured over a period of thirty years. It's not daily or weekly weather, nor is it one season.

2011 and 2012: A Wintertime Weather Comparison...

I'll take it too! My dog loves the snow though (typical Lab!).

Sketch_rollinginsnow_Feb12-08sm.jpg

I DON'T miss spring meltdowns

meltdown.jpg

DTG: I wanted to mention comparing the tough winter of 2011 to the almost non-winter
of 2012 after the NYC area had one of its smallest seasonal snowfalls (about 5 inches)
and I will also note that in March 2012 NYC (Central Park) recorded no snowfall at all
and only about a half-inch of rain was recorded until 3/31 when we got another half
inch here on LI keeping us from setting an all-time record for driest March on record...

March 2012 was also one of the warmest Marches on record in the NYC region and
noting that picture of the melting snow it reminds me of one year ago when the NYC
area suffered thru that snow melt debacle...and in parts of the northeastern USA it
resulted in record flooding...What a difference one year makes weather-wise!

LI MIKE

Actually, there is nothing unprecedented with respect to the contemporary climate. There have been more rapid and more extreme climate changes in the past 11,000 years. The climate record for the most recent glacial period also shows periods of extreme variation as well - none of which was caused by either CO2 or human emissions of CO2. Tree stumps washed out from underneath Alpine glaciers are a clear indicator that forests once grew where today only mountain glaciers exist. The tree line in northern Canada was once over 100 kilometres further north than it presently is. So while it is warmer today than it was in the middle of the Little Ice Age of 400 years ago (and which only ended about 150 years ago), there have been warmer eras in the last 11,000 years of the Holocene, warmer eras in which corals didn't die off, polar bears didn't go extinct or ice caps totally melt. The fact is, the earth is still in an Ice Age. We just happen to find ourselves in an interglacial warm period instead of having Toronto buried somewhere underneath a kilometre of ice (as it would have been 20,000 years ago).

Oxygen is still 20.95% of the atmosphere. Second only after nitrogen.

Last edited:

Back