News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

The Weather

My brother, wife and family live about 1/2 mile from Blue Mountain in Shanty Bay, it's beautiful up there. They bought a lot, hired an architect, designed and built their dream home there last year. Once I finally got up there and saw it in June, I see why they love it so.
Winters are rough though.

Last edited:
Wiarton and the Bruce Peninsula are fantastic as well plus the water is far more clearer on the shores on Lake Huron. I went to the Singing Sands beach up at the end of the Bruce and the water was like If I was in the tropics, it was so CLEAR and the Air was so Fresh.

Some of my friends who are hard core city folk, ask what the hell is up north, its just trees and rock and "hillbilly's" :mad:

I don't understand why some people think you go a few miles from a city that everyone becomes a racist. I have been treated very nicely by everyone while I have been up North with my family more so then I have in the city. :rolleyes:

However due to the Winter's I would not live up there. ;)

Lightning distrupts my internet since Thursday

Last Thursday, the day of the F2 tornadoes in Vaughan, the lightning storm in the Jane & Weston area melted my dry loop on the phone lines outside my house. No internet for 5 days.
In addition, my security system went off, two GFI circuit breakers in my home went out, my telephone's base transmitter is now toast. Wasn't home at the time.
My internet modem was on a surge protector, but the problem was outside my home. Bell was backlogged before they could reconnect my dry loop.
Have to buy a new telephone base.
Cable television is still working, but since I have Rogers telephone, guess that the lighting followed the electric wires and jumped my surge protector for the base. Will have to get a better surge protector for my new telephone transmitter.

I don't understand why some people think you go a few miles from a city that everyone becomes a racist. I have been treated very nicely by everyone while I have been up North with my family more so then I have in the city. :rolleyes:
The rural folk here are actually very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather summary for all of Southern Ontario and
The national Capital region
Issued by Environment Canada Toronto at 9:16 PM EDT Tuesday 25 August

Summary of the tornado outbreak over Ontario on August 20.
-------------------------------------------------------------
==weather event discussion==

A triple barrelled severe weather outbreak struck Ontario last
Thursday.

Shortly after noon a supercell storm developed just south of Lake
Huron. This cell tracked northeastward for a remarkable 200 km
producing the Durham and Thornbury tornadoes. The storm cell
Finally weakened over Georgian Bay toward evening.

At the same time a squall line developed over lower Michigan then
tracked across Southern Ontario during the afternoon and evening
hours. This feature produced straight line wind damage to several
locales from Windsor to well northeast of Toronto as well as the
destructive Vaughan and Newmarket tornadoes.

Finally in the early evening isolated supercell storms tracked
To the east of Georgian Bay. One tracked northeastward to produce a
probable tornado over the area between arnstein and North Bay as
Well as a waterspout over lake Nipissing.

Another tornado tracked through the Gravenhurst area before lifting.
This storm or one near spawned a tornado that went through the
redstone lake and kennisis lake district. This brings the total thus
far for the August 20 storms to 8 confirmed tornadoes, 1 probable
tornado and 2 possible tornadoes.

There was one fatality with the tornado in the south end of Durham.
Several of the tornadoes were rated as f2 damage on the Fujita
Scale. F2 damage is equivalent to wind strength of 180 to 250 km/h.

The following is a list of tornadoes and associated damage assessed
by a total of five separate Environment Canada storm damage teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Date
Tornado location/path damage overview

Tornado 1 5 km sw of Durham to Markdale f2 tornado damage
(confirmed) (roughly 20 km) (significant house
+ trailer damage,
Trees down)

Tornado 2 from south of Thornbury to the f2 tornado damage
(confirmed) southeast of Thornbury (path (many trees snapped,
Length unknown) Georgian peaks sustained
Damage, roofs removed,
Homes damaged)

Tornado 3 Woodbridge/Vaughan f2 tornado damage
(confirmed) (several km long (hundreds of homes
+ 50 metres wide) damaged, trees down,
Cars flipped)

Tornado 4 Newmarket area f1 tornado damage
(confirmed) (hockey arena almost
Demolished, royal
Canadian riding academy
Sustained damage)

Tornado 5 Gravenhurst area f0 tornado damage
(confirmed) (path about 10 km long (shallow rooted
And up to 1 km wide) trees down)

Tornado 6 Milton f1 tornado damage
(confirmed) (light standards down,
Roof damage of medical
Centre and nearby hotel,
Trees and fences down,
Minor home damage)

Tornado 7 Haliburton forest and wildlife f1 tornado damage (very
(confirmed) centre(northwest of Haliburton) large swath of trees
Damaged)

Tornado 8 redstone lake f0 tornado damage
(confirmed) (minor roof damage)

Tornado 9 arnstein to restoule to north waterspout/tornado
(probable) bay (path length unknown at sightings (damage details
This time) uncertain at this time)

Tornado 10 carlow Mayo area (east of funnel cloud sighting
(possible) Bancroft) (large area of tree
Damage)

Tornado 11 turniff (se of Bancroft) large swath of tree
(possible) damage, and hunting cabin
Damage.

Environment Canada continues to evaluate the damage from the storms
and will update this message as necessary.

Yeah, you are right, this is Ontario, not Quebec. The rural folk here are actually very nice.
As an Anglo with very poor french, I've spent a lot of time in rural Quebec. ... and the rural folk there have always been very nice - I can't recall a single incident. And I can't recall any comments from my non-white relatives in rural Quebec.

What's with all these racial remarks?

Wow.

Having travelled through parts of rural Quebec (even with my not so great French), I found many friendly and helpful people there. Geography certainly does not set standards for cordiality.

August 20th Southern Ontario severe weather...and some other observations...

Everyone: I saw videos on TV here of the Vaughan tornado and from some searching I now realize how rough things got in the region on that day.

On this past weekend the Northeast USA had a stalled front that was blocked in part by Hurricane Bill - Some areas got heavy rain from strong thunderstorms but there is a "feast or famine" thing also - My part of LI has
only received about half an inch of rain for the month-far below normal.

It amazes me sometimes how localized strong thunderstorms can be and how
they sometime rain themselves out-it has happened in my area twice in the last 10 days- and we got little if any rain even though other areas on LI and in the NY-NJ region have been hit quite hard from recent storms.

LI MIKE

Last edited:
As an Anglo with very poor french, I've spent a lot of time in rural Quebec. ... and the rural folk there have always been very nice - I can't recall a single incident. And I can't recall any comments from my non-white relatives in rural Quebec.

What's with all these racial remarks?

When you have been refused service at restaurants in rural Quebec because you are not white, then maybe you will understand.

Having spent months in Quebec last summer, I can tell you that it is a province of extremes: some of the nicest and most polite people I have met, but at the same some of the rudest and meanest people ever. That's the truth.

And sad I just noticed my post has been censored. I just speak from experience, if you don't like it, you can speak your experience if it is difference, instead of censoring all opinion you disagree with.

Last edited:
The rural folk here are actually very nice.

Yeah its true...

I went to Sudbury one time and the waiter at a restaurant asked where I was from. I said "I was from Toronto" and the person said "How are things down there, any news?"

"I said the air is way fresher here but everything else is fine"

It was funny because the person was asking like he was referring to a place thousands of miles away. :D

When you have been refused service at restaurants in rural Quebec because you are not white, then maybe you will understand.

Having spent months in Quebec last summer, I can tell you that it is a province of extremes: some of the nicest and most polite people I have met, but at the same some of the rudest and meanest people ever. That's the truth.

And sad I just noticed my post has been censored. I just speak from experience, if you don't like it, you can speak your experience if it is difference, instead of censoring all opinion you disagree with.

I'd guess that your post was edited because you were making a vast generalization about the people of rural Quebec based on personal experience. The trouble with such generalizations is that they are sweeping and make no distinctions. This post clears things up somewhat.

So, anyway... evenings sure have turned cool again haven't they? :)

You get racists everywhere ... the only times I've encountered friends who said their parents would disown them if they didn't marry someone of the same colour, they were non-white dating someone who was white. It's hard to believe that such bigotry would exist in Canada today.

I've an aunt and cousins who are non-white; and I've had no problems eating in rural restaurants in Quebec with them. However, when I was in Asia with them, I found I was being charged higher prices for admission to various locations than they they were because I was white.

the only times I've encountered friends who said their parents would disown them if they didn't marry someone of the same colour, they were non-white dating someone who was white. It's hard to believe that such bigotry would exist in Canada today.
:confused::confused::confused:

actually that is quite normal in immigrant families.

Of course disowning is way to much, but my parents would not be very happy If I married someone outside my culture. They would be a bit angry but in the end they would accept. However I intend to marry inside my culture anyways.

Its more about parents being far more concerned about what others would say about their family then caring about what the child wants.

Also before blasting immigrants for bigotry, I would imagine most Canadian parents would "prefer" their child marry someone of their own culture and the fact is most still do and really so what! Its normal, people tend to prefer to marry to someone they relate and having the same language, culture or religion is a major plus!

Back