News   Jul 16, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

The Weather

Until the phunkster reports in, my weather prediction is for spring followed by summer. Vagueness in terms of timelines is due to the U.S. sub-prime mortgage debacle.

Snowstorm cleanup costs city $3 million
Feb 04, 2008 04:30 AM
Carmen Chai
Staff reporter

It cost $3 million to clean up the biggest snowstorm of 2008.

"This is the largest storm we've had in the new year," said Peter Noehammer, director of transportation services with the city.

Toronto was hit with 20 centimetres of snow on Friday, said meteorologist Bob Klug of Accuweather.

The city fought the storm with a larger than usual army of snow plows. About 1,600 workers operated 600 road plows, 300 sidewalk plows and 200 salters before and after the storm on Friday and Saturday.

"We're in pretty good shape. The roads and sidewalks should be perfect for Monday morning," Noehammer said.

The biggest storm of the season hit on Dec. 16 when 30 centimetres of snow fell. That storm cost $5 million to clean up.

Klug expects more snow this morning with rain following into the evening and tomorrow.

"There could be some decent rain so there won't be much snow left," he said.

Temperatures will rise to nearly 8C tomorrow to thaw Friday's snowfall.

But four to six centimetres of snow is expected on Wednesday along with colder weather. Klug said temperatures will drop to 0C by Thursday.

Noehammer urges residents to clear sewers and storm covers in front of their homes so melted snow and rain can drain away.

By the numbers

20 cm

Amount of snow that fell Friday

Salters

Workers deployed

Sidewalk plows required

30 cm

Size of biggest snowstorm of the season, on Dec. 16

$5 million

Cost to clean up that storm

The trouble with the warm spell is that snow removal crews suddenly vanish, just like the snowfall before Christmas.

Let's face it, snow removal is a euphemism for shoving the snow to the side of the road (and onto the sidewalk).

Snow Storms in 2008: Feast or Famine?

Everyone: I notice that many areas are getting alot of snow this winter-but not us on the Middle-Atlantic coast. Today I am in Philadelphia-where it will be 60 degrees F today and tomorrow one weathercaster is saying 70 degrees F. An example: NYC at Central Park recorded just a trace of snow for the month of January-the first time that has happened since 1933. In my area on LI we had a storm with perhaps 2 inches of snow between Christmas and New Years Day but the ice in it was much more of a problem. That has turned out to be the only weather problem we have had so far.

I see what is happening in the US and parts of Canada and I am wondering where Winter is-It is not that far away-I noticed Chicago for example is having a rough Winter but what about us in the Middle Atlantic? Temperatures this coming weekend will fall to highs around 40 degrees F or lower but not until this strong cold front tomorrow or Thursday ushers in cool and dry air. February is usually our snowiest month though...only time will tell there. LI MIKE

i remember living back in lancaster pa in the late 90's and we used to get lots of snow during the winter months. although by the looks of things, that region doesn't get as much anymore. i remember philly never got any snow even when it was snowing in lancaster.

There has been above average snow accumulation in Ottawa this winter. You don't notice it that much as they go to war against the stuff to get it off the roads and sidewalks.

The high today downtown was 7C (45F), yet another snow melt continues. I think we've had well above average precipitation this winter, partly snow but we've had a lot of rain too.

Environment Canada has issued yet another Winter Storm Warning for the City of Toronto. Another storm formed over Texas earlier and is moving our way. It's over Oklahoma now and it is tracking the same pattern of other storms that have hit us this winter. The temperatures will drop and it's expected to dump more snow and drizzle beginning later tonight and continuing into Wednesday. It's going to be a mess for drivers to and from work again tomorrow.

What with all that slush everywhere, I had to wear heavy waterproof boots to the opera last Saturday, and change into my patents when I got there. Canadians - we're a hardy and resourceful people, and the harsh climate won't stand betwen us and our hedonistic lifestyles.

I saw the first flash in the corner of my eye, then about 5 seconds later came the first clap. I have never heard, or felt, such long and powerful thunderclaps in my life. I thought my windows were going to break, only my subwoofer can do that! I went out to the balcony and heard the first clap trailing off into the distance for about 30 seconds. This heavy snowfall sure adds excitement to a thunder storm.

I was walking my dog in the middle of a large park at the time. The lightning scared the living crap out of me, then the thunder lasted at least 20 seconds.

i always cover my ears if there is ever a freak lighting bolt out of nowhere. Those ones are usually much louder then a typical t-storm bolt for some reason..

Anyways I got 28 cm so far.

Rather its been a strong storm.

Pearson got 16 cm this morning, easily get another 15 again.

i'm loving all this snow. we haven't had a proper storm in awhile.

i was on the streetcar when the lightning happened and thought it had somthing to do with the overhead wire or something until i heard the thunder.

crazy weather.

I'm in South Etobicoke, and this has been a significant amount of snowfall.

I think next year we'll be purchasing a snowblower for our triplex.

Back