News   Jul 17, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 746     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 618     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
metropolis.ca is still metropolis.ca.

I wonder how long until the website's url is updated, as well as the contents, especially the leasing plan which doesn't seem to have changed in months.

St. Jospeh Media went out and got torontolifesquare.com - so, will they soon be redirecting leasing inquiries back to metropolis.ca, or will they be marketing the place themselves? Hopefully with their media savvy they can do a better job of it that Pen Equity.

Re: Toronto Life Square (UT)

Oh - and should we mess with the forumers who haven't read about this yet, and change the name of the thread? Why not? No reason to start a new thread...

Concerning a building called a "Square"

There's Madison Square Garden.
I can think of at least three things wrong with that name.

And Eglinton Square's a good precedent.

And UrbanToronto Square at 41 Britain St. (shoulda been 42)

Not so lame. It could have been much, much worse. (Times Square, by the way, is named after a publication too.) Toronto Life Square is actually, surprisingly, appropriate. There's a chance that Yonge-Dundas Square's name itself might get subsumed by it.

It's partly the name and it's partly corporate branding gone amok everywhere that annoys me. I thought the name Metropolis was exciting and adventurous. I guess there's more important things in life to worry about than naming rights but I was just expressing disappointment in regards to Metropolis; I don't like it. That said, I still look forward to watching it develop and I'll be there with bells on the day it opens.

Oh great now all the Urban Toronto groupies will know where to stalk me.

One of those rarer, all-male groupie contingents.

I still hate it, but..

I've always hated this project from the start and found it even more embarrassing that this project has been "under construction" since 1999. I am looking forward to the day when that hideous blue hoarding will come down from the intersection and the sidewalk will see the light of day for the first time in a decade.

Another glorified "entertainment centre" in the heart of downtown Toronto isn't unique in this world. The big name foreign anchors never materialized. There is no Disney or Virgin, but instead we will open an 11,000 square feet SHOPPERS DRUG MART, another Jack Asstors and Johnny Rockets which funny enough can all be found at Square One in Mississauga. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the third or fourth floors contained patios overlooking the street.

I'm disappointed that the Canadian Music Museum that was slated for the complex has fallen off the face of the earth. That would have provided a much need "cultural" component to the complex. However, I am pleased that Toronto Life has named the building and committed to programming the outdoor and indoor spaces.

While I still believe this project is tacky, I think it’s time to starting planning the celebration to unveil Toronto’s version of “Times Square†to the world. I know when they officially opened the Potsdamer Platz in Berlin, they held a huge public unveiling ceremony of the building complete with an orchatrea and opera performance to open the building. Or maybe the opening of the building can coincide with Nuit Blanche, or the Film Festival or be the Canadian Site of the LiveEarth concert in September.

Louroz

Im happy with the name. Toronto Life Square isn't bad at all. At least the name of the city is in it. Its not another "Rogers Centre" <-- Ugh that still pisses me off.

It would have been nice to see the name as Toronto Life's Metropolis instead of square though, but im alright with the Square.

I just find it amusing that the fates have thwarted every attempt to remake this tacky part of town and pretend it is something it isn't - hoser central.

I know when they officially opened the Potsdamer Platz in Berlin, they held a huge public unveiling ceremony of the building complete with an orchatrea and opera performance to open the building.

Of course Potsdamer Platz in Berlin is about 20x larger in scale when compared with Metropolis... but yes, it would be wonderful to see some sort of "grand opening" for the perpetually-delayed project.

I don't mind the name Toronto Life Square, but I think Dundas Square will always be Dundas Square (no Yonge-Dundas Square, who calls it that?).

Maybe PenEquity has secured some awesome new tenants and has just neglected to inform us so far?

FM: In regards to you finding it disappointing that a big name international anchor tenant never materialized I say that is probably a good thing. The last thing I would want at the corner of Yonge and Dundas is a Disney store. Disney is the epitome of corporate America.

The Shopper's Drug Mart will be on the lower level, and as far as I'm aware will have no frontage at street level. This location will be a good addition for the people who live and work in the area. As this area of the city is planned to have a large influx of residents in the next decade it would seem appropriate that there are some necessary amenities close to their place of lodging.

The major tenants being AMC, Futureshop are a welcome addition to the area. Futureshop's current locations just north of Dundas St is quite pathetic in both size and quality.

I agree with you that a cultural component to this complex would have been an excellent way to create a more diversified building. As it sits now it's just a glorified shopping mall with a theatre attached to it.
It would have been wonderful if Mirvish had a hand in this building. Adding another live performance theatre to this part of Yonge Street would certainly have brought more life and culture to the area.

Let's just hope the outdoor signage lives up to the press release stating "Canada’s largest high-
definition video display, measuring 30 by 52 feet, and the world’s largest contoured
tri-vision. The video display will be enhanced by 34 surrounding video panels that can be
used individually to create marquee effects or a display area of approximately 2,400
square feet. "

If this materializes it will be quite something. Hopefully the video wall can be incorporated into the shows and events that happen at Yonge & Dundas Square.

Back