News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 892     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
If you are thinking of a medical office-, then, it should be ok. You might have to do some publicity, though.

Across from RoCP1, there is an office of a family physician. It has stopped taking new patients. There is also a walk-in clinic. It is extremely busy. I live in R0CP 1. A few months ago, I went to walk-in clinic. I was told to stick around or feel free to come back after 2.5 hours. When I came back, I still had to wait for 20/25 minutes.

Theres a walk in clinic in Atrium at Bay. I have never had to wait more than 30-45 minutes to see a doctor. They are quite quick!

The fire on Yonge Street did some damage to the siding at the north end.
Shot Jan 10-11
5341493332_54dbd84a94_b.jpg

The property on which this is built is now considerably more valuable than when the block was expropriated. Yonge Dundas Sq. is thriving and the concept has been proven. The new owner has much deeper pockets than PenEquity, the original developer. It'll only be a matter of time before this whole place sees a major overhaul to enable the new owners to extract as much of its value as can be. I doubt we'll see the whole thing demolished because parts of it are very popular and profitable but I wouldn't be surprised to see entire floors closed off for redeveloping.

Having seen this thing being built, my assessment is that it would cost more to demolish this than it would to perform a significant redevelopment of the property. It's a massive concrete and iron bunker. The exception would be if the HMV could be purchased and the whole block could be brought down by dynamite. That may sound excessive but it's probably the only cost effective way to clear the block.

Last edited:
I really would like to see them take HMV and the property that burned down, and put on an addition.

I assume you hope they get it right next time? A far better use of the site woulld be for Ryerson to buy it and I heard their President on the radio recently saying he wanted it so that a proper "entrance" to their campus could be built - with the new Student Centre on north side of Gould and something n south side. The problem is the usual lack of $$.

Metreon is an older, albeit smaller version of Metropolis (I've always like the name). Guess who's going in? Target! Maybe if they expand in the fallen building, or HMV, Target can build something downtown too!

The tenants in Metropolis are fine. It's the common areas and the flow within the building that need a major overhaul.

Earlier in this thread, I had proposed moving the lobby to the corner of Yonge + Dundas where the Adidas store is now. Imagine a 3 story lobby facing Yonge with a criss cross escalator along the back wall. Each level would overlook the lobby. This would fix the flow with a relatively straightforward renovation. Adidas could move into where the lobby is currently. FutureShop would continue on the 2nd floor and the food court still on the 3rd from which you'd have the existing escalators to the 4th floor (AMC + full service restaurants).

The tenants in Metropolis are fine. It's the common areas and the flow within the building that need a major overhaul.

Earlier in this thread, I had proposed moving the lobby to the corner of Yonge + Dundas where the Adidas store is now. Imagine a 3 story lobby facing Yonge with a criss cross escalator along the back wall. Each level would overlook the lobby. This would fix the flow with a relatively straightforward renovation. Adidas could move into where the lobby is currently. FutureShop would continue on the 2nd floor and the food court still on the 3rd from which you'd have the existing escalators to the 4th floor (AMC + full service restaurants).

What Tenants are fine???

The lower level is a dead zone as well part of the 3rd floor.

Not sure if that office space has been lease.

Tear the sucker down 100% along with HMV and the parking structure and do it right this time. Put all the parking undeground.

With the lost of the hotel, it will allow TTC better access to built the new north entrance and connection to Ryerson.

Come on Down Target, Wal-Mart and others and be part of this complex.

The area will die some what for 5 years until the new complex is in place. A nice 40+ building set back or in the centre would look nice with a solid 6-storey podium

What Tenants are fine???

The lower level is a dead zone as well part of the 3rd floor.

Not sure if that office space has been lease.

Tear the sucker down 100% along with HMV and the parking structure and do it right this time. Put all the parking undeground.

With the lost of the hotel, it will allow TTC better access to built the new north entrance and connection to Ryerson.

Come on Down Target, Wal-Mart and others and be part of this complex.

The area will die some what for 5 years until the new complex is in place. A nice 40+ building set back or in the centre would look nice with a solid 6-storey podium

The building was just compromise after compromise. Firstly, Ryerson should have never kept their parking lot and bookstore there, and forced them to build TLS overtop of it. The end result is a blank back facade with ugly supports that cut the sidewalk in half.

I agree with what others are saying here. Blow the damn thing up, tear down the entire block, and restart with an integrated and cohesive development. Do retail and a movie theatre on the south side, let Ryerson have a part of the building on the north side (give them a nice gateway on both sides of Gould St at Yonge), and then put either offices or a hotel above there. I would venture to say that hotel rooms directly overlooking Dundas Square would be able to go for a pretty penny.

Last time I checked there's actually 0 office space available in the entire building i.e. it's all leased out. Google even has it's Toronto office here (marking).

I think the office space is pretty attractive to tenants - retail and the like, clearly not so much.

The bottom floor is just a disaster - and I'm scared this is foreshadowing what will happen at Aura (i.e. college park).

I'm not really sure what's wrong with it to be honest. Yea we complain about the architecture and lack of quality - but the majority don't care about that - so there are other issues at play. The bottom floor is extremely busy but it must be the type of traffic, everyone is just walking through.

It's strange, I'm not sure what would work.

But what works very well are the big box stores / restaurants that are there - they all do extremely well. Maybe convert the bottom to some chain restaurant.
The food court is OK as is.

I use to visit this place all the time while it was opening up. From day one I knew that the bottom floor was going to be a complete disaster. The reason is simple. Its basically a food court. It currently has a subway. But it use to have a Sushi Restaurant and a Cinebon. The problem was and is that there was absolutely zero seating to eat your food anywhere. As a result people simply went up stairs to the actual food court and used the basement as a nice hall way to the subway. You cant sell food without offering a place to eat it. Its really that simple.. From what I can tell the retail (futreshop, Shoppers, and Adidas has been extremely succesful) I cant discredit a whole building based on a basement which even I (who is anything but a architect or interior designer) knew was flawed from the very beginning..

All that to say I would hope that HMV is bought out and on this site they extend 10 Dundas East but with another attraction on top.. Somewhere in the old Toronto Life Square threads there were pictures of Box malls in Asia that looked pretty cool with indoor ice rinks and stuff. I dunno if that would work. I would suggest a PLaydium type store but no one visits arcades anymore.. A bowling alley? Oh wait we just got one downtown? Anyways something interesting.

Back