News   May 15, 2024
 255     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Diapers are one way to ensure that you don't have to miss any of the movie because you gotta go to the washroom.

Thanks for sharing, CSW2424. People who have never had the joy of working in customer service just don't know the life experiences they missed out on!

I've worked in movie theatres since I was 16 and managed them for over 20 years (I always help the staff clean in between shows) and I've never seen or heard of the items described. At worst snotty tissues after a sappy movie and the odd beer or liquor container.

I can't wait to check out AMC TLS, I won't go to Scotiabank unless I have no choice. I have no brand loyalty myself but I prefer the Varsity because they have staff who can keep a movie in focus, it's clean and I like the sane environment.

I find AMC to be an inferior movie experience. Their theatres have the smallest screens, their sound is muted (sorry but I require it loud enough that I can't idiots talking over it) and their stadium seating is HORRIBLE. The first 10 rows or so are never banked thus making all the other rows of seating behind far away from the action... and lets not talk about their horrible concessions. Sure Cineplex/Famous is overpriced but at least you have this thing called variety, it's quite novel... I just wish they still served Pepsi products instead of Coke.

I've become something of a Rainbow fan myself and have enjoyed my experiences at Empire since they took over... but never has AMC been anything but mediocre, I hope the masses realize this and continue to support Cineplex and the smaller chains/theatres because they are nothing more than the Wal-Mart of movie theatres.

I've worked in movie theatres since I was 16 and managed them for over 20 years (I always help the staff clean in between shows) and I've never seen or heard of the items described. At worst snotty tissues after a sappy movie and the odd beer or liquor container.

I can't wait to check out AMC TLS, I won't go to Scotiabank unless I have no choice. I have no brand loyalty myself but I prefer the Varsity because they have staff who can keep a movie in focus, it's clean and I like the sane environment.

Oh by so grateful you've never run into the pure grossness. We had to clean up puke far too often but the other stuff only happened once (each) during my 3 years working for Famous Players in high school. But having worked/clearned in a movie theatre you must have repressed hatred of cleaning up to that music/end credits too.

And you're right about Varsity vs. the chaos of Scotiabank. I think most movieplexes went too themepark and loud when FP expanded in the 90s. The Silvercity I worked at had all the bells and whistles (the business plan was to create a full entertainment environment, not just a movie-going experience). The problem was that the games room (especially the airhockey table) made it so noisy that movie guests complained all the time. The new Silvercity in Oakville shows that they've tamed it down a bit. It is a hybrid Varsity/Silversity. AMC, from what I remember, didn't go as crazy on the gimmicks like FP did, so hopefully TLS will not overstimulate.

I would imagine that this would be a problem. I also wonder how long the theater/classroom arrangement will work out because I don't think that a cinema environment is all that conducive to learning. The lights are always dim, the seating is way too plush to concentrate for over an hour in, and the best courses are taught on blackboards, anyway. Everytime a class was taught in Power Point, I usually scored about 5% lower than a class where the prof broke out the chalk.

I hate lectures by Power Point, and now I find PP is a part of my job now (at least our slides are intentionally very simple, with a blank background and no animated junk). I had one class at the Carlton one year doing my undergrad at Ryerson, and stopped showing up after the second class because the prof would put up her slides on the student web service. Thank goodness the tutorials were much better.

I, too, can foresee some potential problems with the theatre/classroom setup. I can't function in a classroom unless it has left-handed seats...can the theatres easily accommodate both [probably folding] desks and cup holders? Cup holders are an invitation to bring all kinds of food and drinks to class. Like, are they going to sell popcorn in the a.m., too? If someone was slurping a big drink next to me during a lecture, I'd scream at them.

OISE's basement classroom has plush seats at the back...I'd rather have comfortable seats. Unlike watching a movie, text may be impossible to read from the back of a long, narrow theatre, and if the class is crowded, sitting closer may not be an option.

And re: power point - I adore PPT lectures and I've gotten some of my highest marks in classes where the presentations are nothing more than pictures, maps, quotes, etc., overlaid by talking.

I worked at AMC in Scarborough for several years when they opened, and then at Galaxy in Waterloo during my first degree. I've cleaned theatres, done customer service, served food and for the most was a projectionist. I cleaned up most of the gross stuff CSW2424 cleaned as well, minus diapers and tampons. I've cleaned up lots of vomit (usually kids movies), thrown out cups full of piss, and walked in while people were f$%*ing.

I know a lot of people who prefer AMC over the others because of its lack of all the bells and whistles. Sure some of the screens are small, but I find there's a more mature crowd with less talking during movies and screaming and rudeness in the lobby. I'm looking forward to AMC opening up at TLS and I only wish it had opened sooner now that I'll be done at Ryerson this April.

I know a lot of people who prefer AMC over the others because of its lack of all the bells and whistles. Sure some of the screens are small, but I find there's a more mature crowd with less talking during movies and screaming and rudeness in the lobby. I'm looking forward to AMC opening up at TLS and I only wish it had opened sooner now that I'll be done at Ryerson this April.

So... the AMC at Yonge/Dundas is going to draw a more mature crowd then Scotia? Manulife? St. Clair? Are we taking wagers here? Most of what you described I remember seeing at the old Eaton Centre theatres. What you touch upon is a very valid point, the people around you in the theatre have a tremendous impact on the experience. If they're busy slurping drinks and stuffing their face full of popcorn munching as loud as they can for the world to hear and constantly talking above at a level well above a faint whisper then a great movie can be a horrible experience.

However singling out AMC as a place to avoid such people is just plain ridiculous. What you experienced would have more to do with the demographics of the areas the theatres were in. The AMC24 and Silver City in Mississauga/Oakville that are 5 minutes apart draw the same kind of crowd (mostly because they split all the big movies between the two so people are forced not to favour one over the other). The only difference is those who go to the Silver City get to watch their movie with a much higher quality sound system, much, MUCH bigger screens, more comfortable chairs (minus the folding armrests) that are banked much closer to the screen and actually have more to choose from when it's time to get ripped off at the concessions then $9 or nachos or a $6 hotdog.

AMC is really a generic movie experience and I'll only go there if it's my only choice... however according to you there's going to be a more mature crowd somehow flocking in at Yonge and Dundas of all places which will help overcome their incredibly underwhelming audio/visual experience, I look forward to it!

earlier, somone mentioned that AMC has a customer loyalty program? i've never heard of this. is it a point based system like it is at cineplex?

right now i'll probably still go to cineplex because of the rewards program. the only way i'll go to AMC is if they have the same sort of program, have lower prices which offset cineplex's reward system, or if i'm just too lazy to go all the way out to the scotiabank on richmond.

earlier, somone mentioned that AMC has a customer loyalty program? i've never heard of this. is it a point based system like it is at cineplex?

right now i'll probably still go to cineplex because of the rewards program. the only way i'll go to AMC is if they have the same sort of program, have lower prices which offset cineplex's reward system, or if i'm just too lazy to go all the way out to the scotiabank on richmond.

Yes they have their own program...don't know what it's called but you get $2 off the the regular ticket price and points towards concessions, movies etc.

Yes they have their own program...don't know what it's called but you get $2 off the the regular ticket price and points towards concessions, movies etc.
oh very nice. i'll have to check this out. i hope there's some sort of info on their website.

thanks for the head up VoR.

AMC has the "Movie Watcher Card". Points towards concessions and movies, etc., etc. I never actually suggested that Yonge/Dundas will attract a more mature crowd necessarily, it was just personal observation i had noticed at the AMCs i went to, mainly Kennedy and Whitby. The Kennedy location does not get every movie, it competes with STC Coliseum for different movies. Only one location will show a particular movie, therefore people go to the theatre that shows the movie they want to see. Sometimes it depended on the distributor of the movie as to where it will be shown, sometimes not.

here's a couple of pics from today..

dwtn021614.jpg

dwtn021604.jpg

Thanks for getting us back on topic. The way this dicussion was moving I was afraid I was about to learn the secret of movie popcorn 'butter' before I learned anything new about TLS.

Google it. It's not pretty.

Back