News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.8K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.9K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 673     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Imagine if a single advertiser bought that entire center column and put up something really dynamic and captivating.

Key word: Imagine!

I thought of that just the other day. A Times Square Coca-Cola type customized tv screen would be incredible down that center column.

Also, I'm hoping that SHARP replaces the box that they have under the screen with contoured lit letters for their logo.

/\ That would be very cool, especially if it is a high-profile advertiser like Coke, as you suggested. Also, are there any outdoor versions of the hologram thing which greets you in the Future Shop? A massive hologram somewhere could bring something to the table...

/\ That would be very cool, especially if it is a high-profile advertiser like Coke, as you suggested. Also, are there any outdoor versions of the hologram thing which greets you in the Future Shop? A massive hologram somewhere could bring something to the table...

The "hologram" is simply a projector producing an image on to a glass. It wouldn't work during the day, but it could theoretically be done by erecting a large glass panel with no window pains on the roof of the building and placing a projector capable of projecting an image as large as that glass.

A genie head in thin air effect could be achieved like this at night.

somethign like this maybe...

IMG_0102.jpg

You people are driving me crazy. For those of us who don't live in the GTA could someone please take and post a picture. I feel like I am listening to a hockey game on the radio. I need a visual. Thank you.

You people are driving me crazy. For those of us who do live in the GTA many of us drag our cameras around in sweaty summer temperatures and when the wind is blowing and -20 in the winter. Then we spend the time resizing, cropping, uploading and then pasting links on UT so that the good members here have visuals to enhance the written contributions which take place here. Many of us help insert visual updates into the discussions. One only needs to click their mouse a couple of times to easily locate them.
Thank you.

Geeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people are driving me crazy. For those of us who don't live in the GTA could someone please take and post a picture. I feel like I am listening to a hockey game on the radio. I need a visual. Thank you.

I don't live in Toronto and I just posted new photo's of what went up on Sunday.

As much as I dislike the weak, unoriginal cop-out of trying to be Times Square, I must say that I just walked up Yonge Street south of Dundas and wow, does it ever have presence when that behemoth of a screen is lit up. The power emanating out from that sign pulls you in. (Wish I had my camera with me).

In the vain of David Letterman's "Is this something?" I'd have to say, yes, this is something.

I have to add an observation to casaguy's comments.

When I took the photos a couple of pages back on Friday evening I stood around for about five minutes after I was done to take in the crowd, it was very busy at roughly 5:00-5:30pm. What I noticed was at least half a dozen people also taking pictures of the area and I saw dozens of people literally stop walking and gaze in awe at what was happening around them. There were truly wide-eyed, slack jawed people standing and looking around in amazement. I'm not promoting the area with my drivel, I'm mixed on it to be honest, I'm just noting an observation.

Next time anyone is down there at night, stop and observe people's reactions. It will put a smile on your face.

I don't think he likes it....:p

We don't deserve this horrorchitecture

TheStar.com - News - We don't deserve this horrorchitecture

January 14, 2008
Christopher Hume

Under any circumstances, the new Toronto Life Square would be a disappointment, but given its particular history, it's doubly so.

In case you hadn't noticed, the "square" is the nasty dark grey bunker that now occupies the northeast corner of Yonge and Dundas Sts. It looms over one of the city's most important intersections with all the charm of a high-security prison. Big, bulky, busy and boring to the last rivet, it is a building untouched by architecture, or any other civic concern for that matter.

If this weren't injury enough, the insult lies in the fact that the complex was built on prime real estate expropriated by the city back in the late 1990s for the purpose of revitalizing the neighbourhood. But even before this galactic coal-carrier is finally finished later this year, it's clear it will add little to the area, except its sheer bulk.

And as for the contents of this lumpen excuse for a building, they will include Future Shop, Shoppers Drug Mart, AMC Theatres, as well as the inevitable Tim Hortons.

How exciting is that?

What makes it all so laughable is that Toronto Life Square likes to pass itself off as this city's answer to Times Square in New York. That might lead one to expect noisy crowds, commercial kitsch and vertigo-inducing video ads, all of which can be fun in small doses once or twice a decade. Instead, we get a building so dead and inert, one feels uncomfortable walking past it.

Since the project was launched all those years ago, a lot has happened in the area. Yonge-Dundas Square opened in 2003 and has become a genuine civic space. Always under intense pressure to pay its way, the square has even started to make money.

Recently, Citytv announced it will take over the former Olympic Torch building on the east side of the square, a move that will generate activity.

"Citytv could be adventurous in its use of the square," notes its co-designer, architect James Brown. "They could appropriate it so the square would become a studio."

As for Toronto Life Square, the best hope is that much of the unrelieved grey of its surfaces will eventually be hidden beneath the advertising that will provide whatever identity it has. Indeed, the building might best be understood as an armature for video screens, billboards and the like.

There's no shame in background buildings – that's what most urban structures are – but they need to be well designed, decently appointed and, above all, part of the larger whole. At Yonge and Dundas, they also need to define the square, which is, after all, an open space surrounded by buildings.

Unfortunately, Toronto Life Square (whose original name, Metropolis, made a lot more sense), looms over the square ominously, too big for the corner and barely contained within its site.

The industrial references – exterior fans and exposed air ducts – seem singularly inappropriate in this context. If the designers were going for a Pompidou Centre-like mechanical aesthetic, which could have been fun, they failed. Perhaps because of the grey exterior, which some might see as urban camouflage, and the easy awkwardness of its utilitarianism, the building takes on a strangely military quality. It could be a post-apocalyptic battlefield headquarters, or something built for the permanent warfare envisioned by Orwell in 1984.

But smothered in advertising, corporate logos and the clutter of commercial branding, the building will be largely invisible. Just as well, too; its appearance is a painful reminder of how low architectural standards are in Toronto. The developer, PenEquity, has committed not just an offence against good taste, but a crime against urbanity.

Mr Hume should call this building dead when all the tenants have moved in (i.e AMC), and walking on the passing sidewalks becomes a chore likely to get you kicked onto Dundas or Yonge Streets.

What a stupid comment from Hume. Next he'll write a review of Bay Adelaide whining about the exposed concrete core and the unadorned steel I-beams.

Not like anyone here needed proof that he's a total moron.

He is doing a review of an unfinished building, what does he expect?

It's the usual Hume over-the-top rant....but I really like this.."a crime against urbanity"

Good one...:D

Back