News   Jul 22, 2024
 212     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 986     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.2K     7 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

Tims is now serving pizza here though:

As if Tim Horton's couldn't possibly GET any slower, they add more hot food items to the menu 🤦‍♂️ I had the horrible experience recently being trapped in a Tim Horton's drive thru line. Over 15 mins, we couldn't escape. we were trapped in the middle! Next time i will pack an overnight bag just to be safe.

Some big shot at head office who hasn't worked a day in a Tim Horton's restaurant, thought this brilliant idea up.

Last edited:
As if Tim Horton's couldn't possibly GET any slower, they add more hot food items to the menu 🤦‍♂️ I had the horrible experience recently being trapped in a Tim Horton's drive thru line. Over 15 mins, we couldn't escape. we were trapped in the middle! Next time i will pack an overnight bag just to be safe.

Some big shot at head office who hasn't worked a day in a Tim Horton's restaurant, thought this brilliant idea up.
Yes, just brutal. I feel bad for the staff who then need to deal with the abuse.

That happened to me a few weeks ago. It would have been faster to go inside.

That happened to me a few weeks ago. It would have been faster to go inside.
Doubtful. Usually it's one poor staffer working the counter while several work the drive-through. Regardless, I can't remember the last time I did a drive-through anywhere. I hate being trapped behind the vehicle who obviously lost the toss at work and is ordering for the shift. At least as a walk-in, you can turn around and walk down, which I have done.

Doubtful. Usually it's one poor staffer working the counter while several work the drive-through. Regardless, I can't remember the last time I did a drive-through anywhere. I hate being trapped behind the vehicle who obviously lost the toss at work and is ordering for the shift. At least as a walk-in, you can turn around and walk down, which I have done.
This was part of why I stopped goIng to Tim Hortons. The absolute disrespect from management for their walk-in clients.

I guess they don't time and report the service metrics for the cash counter like the drive through, so many locations will focus on drivers and just have one worker trying to serve inside even if there are tons of people.

This was part of why I stopped goIng to Tim Hortons. The absolute disrespect from management for their walk-in clients.

I guess they don't time and report the service metrics for the cash counter like the drive through, so many locations will focus on drivers and just have one worker trying to serve inside even if there are tons of people.

One of my less nuanced positions............a nation-wide ban on drive-thrus.

For any establishment, these are bad for the environment, but even if every vehicle were electric, they'd be bad for public health and land-use.

They were a terrible idea 30 years ago, and nothing has come along to change my mind in that regard. As a driver, I have never once used a drive-thru in the last 25 years.

I think I may have tried it once in High School or thereabouts, and determined how much I hated it even as a driver.

Drive-thrus are miserable. So are eat-ins, why go to a fast food place at all?

From an urban planning standpoint, drive-thrus are the worst. They encourage people to stay in their little cocoon, and fast-food places neglect their walking environment (even if it's just from the parking lot to the front door) as a result. Many places don't actually have anything but drive-thru, so more car use is encouraged. They use ridiculous amounts of space, it's hell on the workers, it's a public health (obesity) disaster, etc. etc.

Yep.

The Tims near me is bad for that. I've gone in several times and actually had to yell "is anyone actually working here? I'd like to get a coffee".

I once had someone look at me, go in the back to get a tray of something and come back out. She then started to prep the sandwich area. I promptly said something while a line formed behind me and everyone else worked drive thru.

They completely ignored me in favor of the drive thru. It's why I don't go to Tims very often anymore. Between waiting 15 minutes in the drive thru and being ignored inside I'd rather not go.

Despite their much fancier coffees, a food/drinks order at Tim's generally takes longer than a food/coffee order at Starbucks (or a third-wave equivalent). I used to only go to Tim's when I was in a super hurry, but now I go to a proper coffee shop even if I'm in a hurry as it generally takes the same time, or is even quicker.

Despite their much fancier coffees, a food/drinks order at Tim's generally takes longer than a food/coffee order at Starbucks (or a third-wave equivalent). I used to only go to Tim's when I was in a super hurry, but now I go to a proper coffee shop even if I'm in a hurry as it generally takes the same time, or is even quicker.

It helps that you can also mobile order at Starbucks, it really expedites things.

I know you can order ahead at Tims via the app but honestly.. do the employees even know how to do a mobile order? Using the kiosks at the stores is no faster than waiting in line, it is actually longer.

It would be great if there were a bike-thru.

It’s like a drive-thru, but for bikes.

I once created a thread discussing drive-thrus:

There, I argued that drive-thrus should permit cyclists.

Back