316     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 583     0 

The Scourge of Window Film

Let me bring that forward for the click-averse:

1662990660743.png

I think I will solicit @DSC to comment on this one.

Let me bring that forward for the click-averse:

View attachment 426459

I think I will solicit @DSC to comment on this one.
The blocking of the windows in Cannabis Stores is, supposedly, due to the FEDERAL law. I heard this from the Province in January:

"Thank you for your email on December 29, 2021 regarding cannabis store regulations. We are replying on behalf of the Ministry of the Attorney General.

With respect to recreational cannabis, the government’s top priorities are combatting the illegal market while keeping cannabis out of the hands of youth and our communities safe. Public health and safety have guided the development and implementation of cannabis legislation in Ontario. The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), which is the provincial agency responsible for regulating cannabis retail, has developed the Registrar’s Standards for Cannabis Retail Stores which all authorized retailers must also follow.

Regulations under the federal Cannabis Act prohibit cannabis retailers from making cannabis and cannabis accessories visible to youth. In Ontario, the Registrar’s Standards state that licensees must ensure that cannabis and accessories are not visible from the exterior of the premises. However, the exact manner in which these requirements are operationalized is determined by the retailer. While a number of stores have opted to frost or cover their windows, this is not a requirement for cannabis retail stores in Ontario.

For more information on federal requirements, you may wish to contact Health Canada toll-free at 1-866-337-7705 (8am to 6pm EST) or email cannabis@canada.ca " Policy Division, Ministry of the Attorney General

I followed up with the Feds and got this response:

"The Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch (CSCB) is responsible for developing and implementing legislation, regulations, policies and operational programs that support the control of cannabis.

Please allow us to take this opportunity to outline some information that may be of interest to you.

Through the Cannabis Act and its regulations, the Government of Canada is working to better protect the health and safety of Canadians, keep cannabis out of the hands of youth, and keep profits from criminals and organized crime. To achieve these objectives, the Act includes provisions to restrict youth access to cannabis, and to strictly control possession, production, distribution and sale of cannabis in Canada including the advertising and promotion of cannabis.

The Cannabis Act defines promote as:

promote, in respect of a thing or service, means to make, for the purpose of selling the thing or service, a representation — other than a representation on a package or label — about the thing or service by any means, whether directly or indirectly, that is likely to influence and shape attitudes, beliefs and behaviours about the thing or service. (promotion)

Pursuant to section 29 of the Cannabis Act, unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for a person that is authorized to sell cannabis to display it, or any package or label of cannabis, in a manner that may result in the cannabis, package or label being seen by a young person.

In addition, section 30 of the Cannabis Act states that unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for a person that sells a cannabis accessory to display it, or any package or label of a cannabis accessory, in a manner that may result in the cannabis accessory, package or label being seen by a young person.

Please note, the Cannabis Act is not prescriptive of the method to comply with sections 29 and 30. The method used to meet these requirements is a business decision by the regulated party.

The federal government’s approach is centered on protecting youth from known health risks of cannabis use, and working to keep those under the age of majority from accessing it. The specific provisions in the Cannabis Act that are designed to help keep cannabis and its products out of the hands of children include:

• Prohibiting the provision or sale of cannabis to youth under the age of 18 (some provinces and territories have established a higher age limit);

• Creating a new offence for selling or giving to or using a minor to commit an offence relating to the distribution, sale, import, export, or production of cannabis;

• Prohibiting the sale, packaging, and labelling of cannabis products that are considered appealing to youth;

• Preventing youth from being persuaded to use cannabis products by establishing many of the same advertising restrictions that exist for tobacco products;

• Prohibiting the sale of cannabis through a self-service display or vending machine; and

• Requiring childproof packaging, a universal THC symbol, and health warning messages." Cannabis Compliance Directorate, Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch Health Canada

In short there is NO legal requirement to block windows of stores.

Councillor Matlow has been trying to regulated this in the City - so that windows are NOT blocked and so that there are 'eyes on the street'. (“Cannabis stores are prescribed to be walled off from the main street and the community which really dampens the vibrancy of the community itself,” said Coun. Josh Matlow, who represents the Yonge-Eglinton area.) Toronto Star 7 Nov 2021. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...e-right-and-it-may-be-about-to-get-worse.html

The blocking of the windows in Cannabis Stores is, supposedly, due to the FEDERAL law. I heard this from the Province in January:

"Thank you for your email on December 29, 2021 regarding cannabis store regulations. We are replying on behalf of the Ministry of the Attorney General.

With respect to recreational cannabis, the government’s top priorities are combatting the illegal market while keeping cannabis out of the hands of youth and our communities safe. Public health and safety have guided the development and implementation of cannabis legislation in Ontario. The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), which is the provincial agency responsible for regulating cannabis retail, has developed the Registrar’s Standards for Cannabis Retail Stores which all authorized retailers must also follow.

Regulations under the federal Cannabis Act prohibit cannabis retailers from making cannabis and cannabis accessories visible to youth. In Ontario, the Registrar’s Standards state that licensees must ensure that cannabis and accessories are not visible from the exterior of the premises. However, the exact manner in which these requirements are operationalized is determined by the retailer. While a number of stores have opted to frost or cover their windows, this is not a requirement for cannabis retail stores in Ontario.

For more information on federal requirements, you may wish to contact Health Canada toll-free at 1-866-337-7705 (8am to 6pm EST) or email cannabis@canada.ca " Policy Division, Ministry of the Attorney General

I followed up with the Feds and got this response:

"The Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch (CSCB) is responsible for developing and implementing legislation, regulations, policies and operational programs that support the control of cannabis.

Please allow us to take this opportunity to outline some information that may be of interest to you.

Through the Cannabis Act and its regulations, the Government of Canada is working to better protect the health and safety of Canadians, keep cannabis out of the hands of youth, and keep profits from criminals and organized crime. To achieve these objectives, the Act includes provisions to restrict youth access to cannabis, and to strictly control possession, production, distribution and sale of cannabis in Canada including the advertising and promotion of cannabis.

The Cannabis Act defines promote as:

promote, in respect of a thing or service, means to make, for the purpose of selling the thing or service, a representation — other than a representation on a package or label — about the thing or service by any means, whether directly or indirectly, that is likely to influence and shape attitudes, beliefs and behaviours about the thing or service. (promotion)

Pursuant to section 29 of the Cannabis Act, unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for a person that is authorized to sell cannabis to display it, or any package or label of cannabis, in a manner that may result in the cannabis, package or label being seen by a young person.

In addition, section 30 of the Cannabis Act states that unless authorized under this Act, it is prohibited for a person that sells a cannabis accessory to display it, or any package or label of a cannabis accessory, in a manner that may result in the cannabis accessory, package or label being seen by a young person.

Please note, the Cannabis Act is not prescriptive of the method to comply with sections 29 and 30. The method used to meet these requirements is a business decision by the regulated party.

The federal government’s approach is centered on protecting youth from known health risks of cannabis use, and working to keep those under the age of majority from accessing it. The specific provisions in the Cannabis Act that are designed to help keep cannabis and its products out of the hands of children include:

• Prohibiting the provision or sale of cannabis to youth under the age of 18 (some provinces and territories have established a higher age limit);

• Creating a new offence for selling or giving to or using a minor to commit an offence relating to the distribution, sale, import, export, or production of cannabis;

• Prohibiting the sale, packaging, and labelling of cannabis products that are considered appealing to youth;

• Preventing youth from being persuaded to use cannabis products by establishing many of the same advertising restrictions that exist for tobacco products;

• Prohibiting the sale of cannabis through a self-service display or vending machine; and

• Requiring childproof packaging, a universal THC symbol, and health warning messages." Cannabis Compliance Directorate, Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch Health Canada

In short there is NO legal requirement to block windows of stores.

Councillor Matlow has been trying to regulated this in the City - so that windows are NOT blocked and so that there are 'eyes on the street'. (“Cannabis stores are prescribed to be walled off from the main street and the community which really dampens the vibrancy of the community itself,” said Coun. Josh Matlow, who represents the Yonge-Eglinton area.) Toronto Star 7 Nov 2021. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...e-right-and-it-may-be-about-to-get-worse.html

I recalled your previous post on this; which is why I thought you ought to be summoned to contribute here! LOL

It sounds as though Alberta is making amendments to its regulations, which, presumably, they feel will be compliant w/the federal guidelines but perhaps more flexible to businesses.

I recalled your previous post on this; which is why I thought you ought to be summoned to contribute here! LOL

It sounds as though Alberta is making amendments to its regulations, which, presumably, they feel will be compliant w/the federal guidelines but perhaps more flexible to businesses.
As far as I can see we do NOT need provincial Regs changed here; we just need a (strong) Mayor to state that as long as 'children' cannot see cannabis, the store windows do not need to be filmed and should not be covered!

As a general principle I suggest the City should ensure that ALL (or x%?) of ANY store's windows be 'see through' as it's not only film over cannabis windows; store windows in general are often blocked with 'stuff', shelving, freezers etc and having 'eyes on the street' really helps safety (inside and outside the store) and the improves the vibrancy of our sidewalks.

I can see film used to mitigate glare for exposures that face the sun (particularly in the winter when the angle is low). But it would ideally not be fully opaque on a % basis.

I can see film used to mitigate glare for exposures that face the sun (particularly in the winter when the angle is low). But it would ideally not be fully opaque on a % basis.
Better off doing it with the glass itself. IGU fabricators will void warranty if film is applied.

A note here on retail design as it pertains to lots of window film showing up........

I started several application threads the last couple of days and noticed in more than one, a retail design with wide, shallow units fronting the main street.

This design/layout is automatically going to have most retailers looking to make use of a portion of that window space for shelving, storage, equipment and/or work space.

When you lack a deep interior where such functions can go to the rear of the premise, they naturally must come forward. But if you need floor to ceiling storage or display space that can be difficult or impossible to do while leaving the window transparent/unprotected.

We all regularly make fun of the Brad Lamb bowling alley unit design for residential units, and rightly so, where you get one or two windows for an entire unit.

But this is actually ideal for many retailers; where you gain lots of window-less space in the interior for maximum, intense usage and work space, and have a narrow area that you surrender to welcoming/display.

There are exceptions to this, notably restaurants can benefit from additional windows if laid out correctly, but even then, space for kitchens and walk-in fridges and washrooms needs to be thought of; and not allocated up against the windows.

To summarize, wide and shallow retail units are a recipe for window film for most types of retail and should generally be avoided, with the exception being well planned restaurants and corner units, typically for businesses with low storage/back-of-house needs.

Agreed……and shallow units and window film really hinder the devlopement of really, really good Christmas windows! Eatons and Simpsons had those deep window boxes that I only really paid attention to in December. But amazing creativity. And apparently, according to my mother and grandmother, there was a lot of good stuff the rest of the year as well. Who would know? I am sure this is also a casualty of changing retail habits, and the added expense of creative window display design vs added retail floor space. But perhaps window film is one up on those abysmal yellow tinted roller window films that used to be in so many store fronts as well.

We shouldn't be surprised. The city approved the removal of thousands of square feet of appropriate commercial space for these types of businesses. The only new types of spaces being built downtown are what you see in the photo. A grocery delivery company trying to deliver to downtown is not ideally located along the 427, 400, Scarborough or even in Etobicoke.

This just puzzled me, and is honestly just frustrating to see on a new project (though seemingly common).

So I noticed the new LCBO store footprint at Bathurst and Bloor seemed recessed from the back windows, though it's shown they leased that entire area. Seems the back of house for the store is just lazily plopped down along the pedestrian part of the Honest Ed's Alley, thus window film!

There's so many ways this could've been leased out better to not just completely kill any amount of usefulness of the alley section. Either push the store footprint forward and shrink it, allowing mirco units to face the alley; or combine the two available units just south of this.

1686078579751.png

For context, this much of the frontage is going to be covered. WHY??

I hope I'm wrong on this assessment, but with what I can see, this is intended.

1686078632543.png

Last edited:

Back