News   Aug 13, 2024
 570     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2.1K     3 

The Retail Apocalypse

Forever 21 Goes Bust, Adding 178 Stores to Retail Apocalypse

Eliza Ronalds-Hannon and Lauren Coleman-Lochner
Bloomberg September 30, 2019

(Bloomberg) -- Forever 21 Inc. filed for bankruptcy, joining the growing list of fashion retailers felled by heavy competition, high rents and the defection of shoppers to online outlets.

The Chapter 11 filing on Sunday in Wilmington, Delaware, allows Forever 21 to keep operating while it works out a strategy to pay its creditors and turn the business around. The plan so far includes shutting 178 of its approximately 800 stores.

All told, the retailer employs about 6,400 full-time and 26,400 part-time workers, court papers show. Forever 21 said it expects to exit most of its outlets in Asia and Europe, and it will shut all of its 44 Canadian stores that provide about 2,000 jobs, according to company statements.

Forever 21 Goes Bust, Adding 178 Stores to Retail Apocalypse

Eliza Ronalds-Hannon and Lauren Coleman-Lochner
Bloomberg September 30, 2019

(Bloomberg) -- Forever 21 Inc. filed for bankruptcy, joining the growing list of fashion retailers felled by heavy competition, high rents and the defection of shoppers to online outlets.

The Chapter 11 filing on Sunday in Wilmington, Delaware, allows Forever 21 to keep operating while it works out a strategy to pay its creditors and turn the business around. The plan so far includes shutting 178 of its approximately 800 stores.

All told, the retailer employs about 6,400 full-time and 26,400 part-time workers, court papers show. Forever 21 said it expects to exit most of its outlets in Asia and Europe, and it will shut all of its 44 Canadian stores that provide about 2,000 jobs, according to company statements.

Why Forever 21’s Lack of Customer Experience in Canada Led to its Demise: Expert

October 02, 2019

I saw in Yorkdale a Forever 21 having 90% off almost everything sale.

I saw in Yorkdale a Forever 21 having 90% off almost everything sale.

I'm 29 now, so it's probably time that I depart from this brand anyways lol.

I used to occasionally shop there several years ago. But with Uniqlo now in the Canadian market, and other similar market brands like Zara and even H&M to a certain degree offering better selection, I drifted away completely from Forever 21.

Who really killed Blockbuster?

With one store left in the world, the video retailer's approaching extinction is a reminder of all the things that can go wrong in retail.

By Ben Unglesbee

October 7, 2019

The 'retail apocalypse' is an apparel apocalypse

Most retailers in bankruptcy, or on the brink of it, sell clothes. Maybe that's their problem.

Daphne Howland
Published Oct. 14, 2019

Who really killed Blockbuster?

With one store left in the world, the video retailer's approaching extinction is a reminder of all the things that can go wrong in retail.

By Ben Unglesbee

October 7, 2019

If Blockbuster bought Netflix when it had a chance to, it could have survived. Unfortunately, Blockbuster was run by non-avian dinosaurs. Changing tastes and technologies are bringing Blockbuster to extinction.

News from overseas:

Domino's to pull out of Scandinavia and Switzerland

Pizza delivery giant’s increasing losses prompt plan to sell up and leave four markets

Julia Kollewe

Thu 17 Oct 2019 10.24 BSTLast modified on Thu 17 Oct 2019 10.49 BST

Domino’s Pizza will pull out of Scandinavia and Switzerland after sustaining significant losses.

Britain’s biggest pizza delivery company, which operates under licence from its US parent, will sell its 115 shops in Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland after a six-week review of its international operations.

Certain elements of American pop culture are pretty popular among the young generation in Europe. Fast food is common to see, along with American music, social media trends, and even clothing brands like American Eagle and Abercrombie.

Back