News   Apr 22, 2024
 777     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

The Fountains Of Toronto

I also see that University and Queen fountain is shut down again... Does anyone know what the issue is with it? It seems like its never opened anymore.

Grange Park last night. I wish we didn't need the traffic cones... They seem to be covering up holes in the stones that form the base of the fountain.

IMG_0801.jpeg

I was at the CN Tower last night (great meal @ the 360 restaurant) and noticed that the great Salmon Fountain close to its base is again not working this year. It was repaired a couple of years ago but again some tiles seem to have fallen off and it was filled with garbage. A great way to show tourists how we value our public spaces! I realise fountains are not easy but ......

I was at the CN Tower last night (great meal @ the 360 restaurant) and noticed that the great Salmon Fountain close to its base is again not working this year. It was repaired a couple of years ago but again some tiles seem to have fallen off and it was filled with garbage. A great way to show tourists how we value our public spaces! I realise fountains are not easy but ......

I'm not certain my memory is being fair here, but I'm given to think that particular fountain has been broken more often than its been operational.

I can remember Adam Vaughan as a City-TV reporter doing more than one story on it being broken; and subsequent to its having been fixed back then its certainly been down for a least two separate seasons (if not more) prior to this instance.

I'd really like to know if the same features/parts keep failing, and if so why we don't redesign those to put a stop to that; and if its a different part each time, surely we're running out of original parts in this fountain!

I'm not certain my memory is being fair here, but I'm given to think that particular fountain has been broken more often than its been operational.

I can remember Adam Vaughan as a City-TV reporter doing more than one story on it being broken; and subsequent to its having been fixed back then its certainly been down for a least two separate seasons (if not more) prior to this instance.

I'd really like to know if the same features/parts keep failing, and if so why we don't redesign those to put a stop to that; and if its a different part each time, surely we're running out of original parts in this fountain!
I think the plumbing is NOT the problem, the problem seems to be water leakage as the tiles are not done properly. I agree it does seem to be broken more often than it works!

I found an old thread talking about its reopening, in 2005, but it was also totally retiled about 4 years ago. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-recommissions-the-salmon-run-fountain.2626/

I think the plumbing is NOT the problem, the problem seems to be water leakage as the tiles are not done properly. I agree it does seem to be broken more often than it works!

I found an old thread talking about its reopening, in 2005, but it was also totally retiled about 4 years ago. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-recommissions-the-salmon-run-fountain.2626/

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/the-fountains-of-toronto.21480/page-4 - there are more in this thread about it further down. This thread is like Waiting for Godot.

AoD

In the course of my walk yesterday, I passed two fountains that were working and looking quite sharp, so, of course, I took photos, on August 9th, 2022:

First, the fountains in the forecourt of the Provincial Courts on University Avenue:

DSC09014.JPG

DSC09015.JPG

Now, the University Avenue Median fountains at Queen Street:

DSC09021.JPG

DSC09022.JPG

Back