News   Jul 18, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 452     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 629     1 

The Condo Game [CBC Documentary]

No. Why are you so hung up on earthquakes?
It will allow smoke and fire to spread, but you're obviously not concerned with that.
Because a few forumers are claiming that a moderate earthquake like what they get in the Ottawa area every so often would result in large numbers of recently built residential buildings collapsing. Which is of course ridiculous and would be a catastrophe the likes of which the industrialized world hasn't seen in any of our lifetimes. Especially for quakes that minor. Nobody is saying that there aren't shady contractors out there or that inspectors never make mistakes. Obviously that happens and I've never argued otherwise.

I guess you didn't bother readthat'sng my posts because as someone who has worked in residential construction, directly with a myriad of architects, builders, engineers, and tradespeople for 14 years I obviously don't know wtf I'm talking about.

Every fucked up thing that could never happen becauseoof the supposed failsafes you mention has always been a figment of my imagination, obviously.

I'm sorry, to me right now you sound insane....or as someone who has a vested financial interest in the industry.

I never suggested that there's a catastrophe in waiting. Nor have I even let my opinion of condos be known (the only urban home I would ever buy).

I'm telling you that, FROM REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE GOING BACK 15 YEARS, THERE IS SERIOUS ROT IN THE RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY.

You don't have to believe me, that's your choice, but you really should.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, since nothing that I posted could possibly provoke such a rant IN ALL CAPS!!! I've never argued that there are no problems in the residential construction industry. I'm simply showing how crazy the earthquake mass condo collapse theories are. In case of an earthquake you're far safer living in a modern building than an old house.

It's kind of funny how many people are trying to debunk claims that nobody is making.

It's kind of funny how many people are trying to debunk claims that nobody is making.

Actually it's just you and one other who keep muttering on about earthquakes, while ignoring everything else that has been posted.

Why, your seeming head-in-the-sand stance provoked it. Not that it was meant as the typical caps as yelling....I post through my phone and use the caps as italics. Bootleg, sure, but I'm a bit of a pirate.

Anyway, my point has been made. I wish I could under all the rubbish. Unfortunately, back to work tomorrow. :)

The earthquake comment was a joke, now it's being used as a red herring. That's what arguing on the internet gets you. Back to the topic at hand: the condo crash is coming, earthquake or no earthquake.

the condo crash is coming, earthquake or no earthquake.

I don't think the thousands of people moving into condos every month got the memo. ;)

There really is only one logical explanation. CBC viewership is higher in the boonies/burbs, and they are therefore trying to dissuade people from moving into condos in order to keep their government funding and crown corporation status.

Actually it's just you and one other who keep muttering on about earthquakes, while ignoring everything else that has been posted.
*Sigh* Okay, I'll humour you, here are the posts I was responding to:
If Toronto ever had an earthquake that is greater than magnitude 5.0 (and has an epicentre closer to Toronto, rather than in Nipissing or in Quebec), I wonder how many condos would collapse.
Every single Urbancorp and TAS one, I'd wager. Those are just the two builders I KNOW are rubbish crooks. Don't know about the rest too well.
With the cost cutting and sheer incompetence of some builders I think a good chunk of these glass boxes could not withstand a sizable earthquake.

Anyway...
Why, your seeming head-in-the-sand stance provoked it. Not that it was meant as the typical caps as yelling....I post through my phone and use the caps as italics. Bootleg, sure, but I'm a bit of a pirate.

Anyway, my point has been made. I wish I could under all the rubbish. Unfortunately, back to work tomorrow. :)
Pointing out the fact that buildings constructed in the last 40 years are designed to withstand earthquakes is having my head in the sand? I feel like I'm on crazy pills here.

The earthquake comment was a joke, now it's being used as a red herring.
Trust me, nothing would please me more than knowing those comments were a joke and I totally fell for it! One has already said it was a joke but the other two seem pretty serious.

Dude, you probably should be on crazy pills.

I already stated I was joking.

No, thinking that having a building code and inspectors in place means that all is automatically foolproof is why I think you have your head in the sand. Stop talking about the earthquakes. It was a joke, ffs.

This guy took a joke and used it as the basis of his argument.

Earthquake or no earthquake, today's condo is generally poorly built and anyone saying that it's impossible because the building code wouldn't allow that is either terribly naive or a downright fool.

Well I'm glad that you guys are joking (although TheKingEast still seems to be half serious). A friendly tip about jokes: they're supposed to be funny.

No, thinking that having a building code and inspectors in place means that all is automatically foolproof is why I think you have your head in the sand.
For the last time, nobody has said anything about everything being foolproof. You sure are getting a lot of use out of that red herring.

Hahaaa, thanks, I'll try to remember to keep jokes humourous.

Geeze, this was a hilarious waste of time.

I don't even agree with TheKSE that they're generally poorly built these days because I haven't seen enough of them. I know some are crap, but I wouldn't generalise.

OK, on with the day.

*Sigh* Okay, I'll humour you, here are the posts I was responding to:

*Sigh*....why did you bother quoting my post if you weren't responding to me? Why ignore all the other points made and concentrate on earthquakes?

For the last time, nobody has said anything about everything being foolproof.

No, but you seem to think building inspectors are some kind of superhero.

Hahaaa, thanks, I'll try to remember to keep jokes humourous.

Geeze, this was a hilarious waste of time.

I don't even agree with TheKSE that they're generally poorly built these days because I haven't seen enough of them. I know some are crap, but I wouldn't generalise.

OK, on with the day.

I stand by that statement. The newer condos are poorly built. Some are well built, but a good chunk are just bad. You can blame the boom for that.

I found it was a typically well produced CBC doc. It came off as a cautionary tale, because that's what it is.

If you don't want to get burned, then don't gamble in the real estate speculation market...buy existing real estate!

I quite agree. Very well produced, if not slightly alarmist for the uninformed. There are bad eggs in the occasional carton and the GTA is harvesting an entire farm so come to expect some notable construction problems.

My stake away is only buy from reputable, experienced, and reliable builders. Now more than ever.

*Sigh*....why did you bother quoting my post if you weren't responding to me? Why ignore all the other points made and concentrate on earthquakes?

It's kind of hard not to focus on something so ridiculous. Had I responded to your comment, I would've focus on the earthquake bit as well, as that is a blatant lie.

Back