News   Aug 07, 2024
 226     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 213     0 
News   Aug 06, 2024
 2.3K     3 

The Concert Thread

lol Erik! Bob's kids just went pop, they did it for the money...something tells me they can do much better.

When I saw Galactic at Bonnaroo last year, they were with a bunch of MC's (Blackalicious, not sure who else...), but they put on a good show nonetheless. They are one of those bands that I wouldn't mind seeing live any night of the week.

should we just make a concert thread? I don't want to jack this one, but Lifelike is playing at the social, and Cut Copy (OMGOMGOMG) is at Lee's soon, too. And people should go. Did you get a ticket to cut copy, Darkstar? I heard it's sold out now.

Darkstar,

Have you ever heard lifelike (if not, do yourself a favour and familiarize yourself immediately)? you should come. it's on a Thursday, which is somewhat problematic for me, as i'm not a model of self restraint by any means, but it will be worth whatever hangover i have. I haven't got a ticket yet, but i will.

I sold my Kanye West tickets to a scalper because I didn't want to stand in the miserable rain at the Molson ampitheatre. In retrospect this was a HUGE mistake, as I've since heard that the special effects invovled him emerging from a boiling stage of lava. Apparently it was a set to match Kanye's hubris.

Also went to the Islands concert at the Phoenix. It was an all ages show and the rugrats were behaving like morons. I don't care how much you have to drink, you don't bodysurf to "Rough Gem". A kid got up on stage and began rocking out and Nick Diamonds took one look at him and muttered sheepishly "Good night, Toronto" and gathered up the band. "Fuck", I said, "they're going to rob us of an encore". I could see the band members having an argument backstage and then, reluctantly, they came back and led us through a heartless rendition of "Swans". No more all age shows.

Well, at least I don't feel so bad for missing it in this case. I've also heard the new material doesn't stand up to their first album's stuff, I need to check it out regardless.

Not much else I'm really looking forward to this month either, until Mogwai on the 30th. Hopefully there'll be some last minute announcements, because the summer as a whole seems lacking comparing to last year.

May was a good month for shows... Los Campesinos at Lee's, which was pretty damn good, and then Matthew Good at Massey, which was not as good as his show at Massey last year, but still great.

Saturday night I'm checking out The Dress Whites at Rancho Relaxo. Should be a good one as well.

I've got Kids In The Hall (not really a concert, but hey), Swervedriver, Hidden Cameras, Final Fantasy, Virgin Fest Day #1 & #2 (mostly going for Oasis, Spiritualized, Bloc Party, Paul Weller and MGMT), My Bloody Valentine and Hot Chip all coming up over the next few months.

My Bloody Valentine and Hot Chip are good news, although they're a while off. Calexico, TV on the Radio are my must sees for the next couple months. Rogers Picnic at Fort York is also pretty solid, except whoops, City and Colour?! Way to ruin an excellent line-up (Animal Collective, Vampire Weekend, Chromeo, Cat Power, Tokyo Police Club, and more) by ending the evening with such mediocre headliner. Oh well, I'll have a great day, and then beat the insane exiting rush by leaving when he comes on.

FREE concerts in the Junction area!!

All concerts start at 12:00 p.m. on the Junction Train Platform (Dundas/Pacific, close to Dundas and Keele!)

June 14 (Lantern Making 12:30 to 3:30 pm)
Donné Roberts

June 21
Pagan Jam (Lantern Making @ 12:00 to 3:30 p.m. & Solstice Walk @ 7:00 p.m.) Bring your kids, cold drinks and enjoy the party :)
June 28
Malta Band Club

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Yeah, I heard about this free Bran Van concert
happening this Saturday night at Dundas Square.
You can all dial in if you want to answer
a couple of questions, namely, what is Todd's favourite cheese.
Jackie just called up and said it was a form of Roquefort.
We'll see about that...
Give us a ring-ding-ding! It's a beautiful day!

Man, who knew they were still kicking? Talk about legging it out as a one hit wonder band.

I watched the Dress Whites set last night to kick off NXNE. Great set, very high energy, only too bad there was only 40 people at the El Mo to see it. I guess that's what happens when you're the first band of the night. I wish I could see some of the other NXNE stuff but my schedule just doesn't seem to want to make it work.

Back