Would you buy an EV from a Chinese OEM?

• Yes

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 70.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 18.4%

• Total voters
Most BEVs have higher embedded carbon because of the amount of materials required and the processing to create those materials. This is where jurisdictions with a high proportion of emissions free power helps. Not sure what the embedded carbon will be in an Ontario built battery pack, but it's still probably going to be slightly higher than an Ontario built car and that's okay, because those battery packs don't burn gas for 12-15 years.

That makes the use of EV technology look better, yes.... but coming from another vantage point.... if Ontario has only so much carbon to emit, are we getting the best economic benefit from deploying it to build batteries for EV's? As opposed to some other product or commodity that we could sell for more with more job creation and more net revenue?

If we needed to redeploy that carbon to some other industry, say the non-battery mineral extraction in the Ring of Fire.....how many degrees of freedom to switch do we have?

I'm not arguing one way or the other, just pointing out that giving VW that boost to their carbon portrait has a cost to us and we must believe that it's the best option for Ontario to do so in preference to something else (that something else being hypothetical rather than something I'm proposing....).

- Paul

From the grocery sector, from test, to order to rollout; the first Loblaws battery electric truck that is part of the permanent fleet has been rolled out:

From the above:

1681821602371.png

1681821626592.png

1681821644432.png

From the grocery sector, from test, to order to rollout; the first Loblaws battery electric truck that is part of the permanent fleet has been rolled out:

From the above:

View attachment 470178

View attachment 470179
View attachment 470180
Will they start hauling potatoes or potato chips?

Looks like GM once again tries to kill the electric car.

GM is trying to kill their own business.

I don't see it like that. The Bolt platform was rather poor. Sales weren't great. Profitability was terrible. They are moving to build all their EVs on the new Ultium platform. This is why they killed the Bolt. Logical business decision.

I don't see it like that. The Bolt platform was rather poor. Sales weren't great. Profitability was terrible. They are moving to build all their EVs on the new Ultium platform. This is why they killed the Bolt. Logical business decision.
IDK. It's only a matter of time before the US gov't closes the loopholes that allow financial incentives for producing eSUVs over electric cars.

Yes, the Bolt was a bad product that lost money and never gained traction. Doesn't mean GM isn't running the company into the ground. They scaled back Cruise to flatter their financials, whether that is wise in the long run we shall see.

IDK. It's only a matter of time before the US gov't closes the loopholes that allow financial incentives for producing eSUVs over electric cars.
Us government is specifically rewarding SUVs over cars with a higher cap on purchase price for the credit.

New proposed rules from the EPA might actually do this. We'll see if it gets passed.

Yes, the Bolt was a bad product that lost money and never gained traction. Doesn't mean GM isn't running the company into the ground. They scaled back Cruise to flatter their financials, whether that is wise in the long run we shall see.

I agree that they aren't handling the transition well. They aren't the only ones faring poorly here. That doesn't mean ditching the Bolt doesn't make sense. Ultimately, all these large carmakers have too many brands with too many models across too many platforms. They can't push the kind of economies of scale that Tesla gets on EVs. Consolidation is logical here.

Last edited:
all these large carmakers have too many brands with too many models across too many platforms.
Now that China has fallen out of love with American car brands, I can see GM ditching Buick, like they did with Oldsmobile, Saturn and Pontiac. They have Cadillac and Chevrolet for cars and SUVs to cover the luxury and basic customer.

And GM may have learned a great deal from both the Volt and the Bolt. And many market factors may have changed over their life cycle. From other media reports, I’d say

- Paul

Back