News   Jul 26, 2024
 845     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.9K     3 

The CityRail Concept: Real Regional Rail for the GTA

Why would we approve a train between San Fran and LA? Particularly now that it would seem to be a duplicate service to the one California is building? ;)

Because the LA - San Francisco HSR would be Canada's gift to the United States for 200 years of friendship. Much like how the Statue of Liberty was France's gift to the United States.

But in all seriousness I was talking about approving HSR inside of Canada. (eg Windsor - Quebec City)

The Stouffville corridor can be upgraded to REX-capable, but that would require grade-separations and double tracking (not exactly cheap, but doable). Same goes with the Barrie corridor, but to be honest I can't really see the demand being there for a full REX service.

Would the OneCity plan help by removing TTC completely from the corridor - well at least for a 4 km length?

I won't believe we're being serious about mode shift in this region until I see daycares being built on top of or at least right beside transit stations and it being mandatory to have a daycare in all new commercial buildings in Toronto CBD (the existing daycares prioritise workers in their own building so if you don't work in such a building you're screwed). I'd love to see numbers of how many regular commuters the TTC/GO lose every year when people become parents and how soon they come back if at all. Obviously that's not the end of the story but it would be an important sign that the current generation doesn't like to schlep so you're going to have to meet them part way. The failure to integrate light commercial and municipal services above the Spadina Extension stations is in my opinion an error - those stations should be destinations and not merely transfer points, particularly where future timed transfers would allow people to transfer in and out of the fare paid area without undue penalty.

I think the planners have been really caught off guard by the growth in residential in the lower 416 after decades of stagnation - they assumed peak oriented regional rail was going to be the demand leader when the downtown streetcar and bus lines are going to be slammed for years now because of an assumption that we didn't need DRL yet and that Queens Quay East and Waterfront LRT and the Union Loop rebuild could always be pushed behind something else.

I also think it's an error that CP wasn't depressed through Weston along with the CN lines. It's going to make introducing transit service on CP MacTier with a 3rd track harder in my view when presumably it could have been done with relatively (compared to later) small expense. Also, while I get that Metrolinx is not yet in a position to introduce service on CP Don Branch but felt they had to buy the track or see it lifted, they should be putting geotextile under the alignment to keep the vegetation under control until someone breaks open the piggy bank required to build what CP wants to allow transit services north of Redway.

Back