News   Apr 29, 2024
 143     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.8K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 774     0 

The Beach(es)

I've noticed on the street signs that they've taken it west of Woodbine now, I guess to include the development from the old race track. I think the signs go as far as Kingston and Queen.

I do wish the police and bylaw would patrol the park and boardwalk more often. I've gone through the park on a monday morning with the dogs and have seen where people have BBQ'd right on the grass, under a tree..and of course all the chicken bones and other food garbage left behind.
They could also start charging those inconsiderate folks with their off-leash dogs at the same time.

Having dogs, I agree with you on that. Signs all clearly state that except for the offleash areas, dogs must be kept on a leash...and I have no problem with that. We (dog owners) have good offleash parks, and we can now have them offleash in the winter months behind the snow fence on the beach. The dog owners that don't care and let them offleash in park ruin it for us that follow the bylaws.

Bylaw was on a blitz a couple of months ago...for dogs offleash. But I haven't seen them back for either dogs or anything else. We really haven't had alot of rain this year, so wonder the thought process into throwing briquettes on the grass, some lighter fluid, and having a little BBQ, under a very old tree. That there hasen't been a major fire there I think is more to luck then anything else.

Yes, control the dogs (and dog owners) but also start controlling some of the humans there also.

RE: Beach bumper stickers. These people are total geeks and really need to take a serious look at making some changes in their lives. They have no idea how dumb they look driving around with their neighbourhood pasted onto their car. Can you imagine someone driving around with Leaside or Rosedale or any other neighbourhood on their car? LOL! What a joke. I actually feel bad for them whenever I see them....they really have no clue how bad it looks. They all look like that hippy with the old VW van covered in stickers and lighted palm tree on Wheeler Ave!

PS. Hate people calling it the Beach. I played lacrosse for years against teams with Beaches on their jersey. Could not imagine a jersey that said Beach. Too weird. Probably these people with the bumber stickers who insist on calling it the Beach. Hasn't been called that in about 40+ years (according to my grandma, a 76 year resident) but for some reason its made a comeback. :(

RE: Beach bumper stickers. These people are total geeks and really need to take a serious look at making some changes in their lives.

Tell them The Beach is just Mimico with some sand. Be prepared for flying fists.

RE: Beach bumper stickers. These people are total geeks and really need to take a serious look at making some changes in their lives. They have no idea how dumb they look driving around with their neighbourhood pasted onto their car. Can you imagine someone driving around with Leaside or Rosedale or any other neighbourhood on their car? LOL! What a joke. I actually feel bad for them whenever I see them....they really have no clue how bad it looks.
Agreed totally. I know several people who live there and none of them would be caught dead with a Beach(es) bumper sticker. Well, agreed, except for the geek part. Those Beach bumper sticker people are an insult to geeks.

And I say that as someone who actually looked to buy a house there. But then again, I've always said my favourite part of The Beaches is actually in Scarborough, just east of Victoria Park, in the Fallingbrook area. Damn expensive though.

Hate people calling it the Beach. I played lacrosse for years against teams with Beaches on their jersey. Could not imagine a jersey that said Beach. Too weird. Probably these people with the bumber stickers who insist on calling it the Beach. Hasn't been called that in about 40+ years (according to my grandma, a 76 year resident) but for some reason its made a comeback. :(
Maybe it's because The Beach sounds more pretentious. ;)

Out of curiosity, is the block bound by Queen, Woodbine, Lakeshore and Woodbine Park considered part of the Beach(es)? Was checking out some of the recent photos on DDOI, and the picture of the houses lining Woodbine Park really caught my eyes, so I went to check it out on Google Streetview (regret it to say I've never really been to that part of town). It looks to me like new development but purposely built with a more urban feel; is that true? And if that's the case what was there before this development?

That's on top of the old Woodbine racetrack ... later called the Greenwood racetrack.

For all intents and purposes it's the Beaches ... though I'm sure hardliners would insist that only the houses on the other side of the street (Woodbine) are the Beaches.

Personally I'm not a big fan. For some reason they remind me of the fake chalets at Tremblant (ski resort).

Ultimately they're mostly semis (attached with small lots) or detached homes that are almost like semis. That in itself is fine, but when I looked at them years ago on MLS I felt they were horrendously expensive for what you got.

Out of curiosity, is the block bound by Queen, Woodbine, Lakeshore and Woodbine Park considered part of the Beach(es)? Was checking out some of the recent photos on DDOI, and the picture of the houses lining Woodbine Park really caught my eyes, so I went to check it out on Google Streetview (regret it to say I've never really been to that part of town). It looks to me like new development but purposely built with a more urban feel; is that true? And if that's the case what was there before this development?

i believe those have been around for about ~10 years now.

i've heard from several sources, including realtors, that those houses are plagued with construction issues resulting in leaks, rust (apparently they used metal studs for construction), electrical problems, etc

Back