News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 743     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

The Beach(es)

Art student friends used to rent rooms in homes there in the early '70s because it was cheap and nobody went there unless they lived there. Taking the streetcar that far east was an adventure.

Then, sometime in the '80s, it became California.

I always tell people that I live in "The Lower East Side," or Queen East of Woodbine. IMO, saying that I live in "The Beaches" sounds a little snooty. Feeling the need to place a "Beach" bumper sticker on ones car is like annoucing to the rest of Toronto, that you're a snooty person.

Other then that, I like it here.

I noticed a few "Beach" bumper stickers as far north as Woodbine & Gerrard. I wonder what the folks south of Kingston Road think of them?

I always tell people that I live in "The Lower East Side," or Queen East of Woodbine. IMO, saying that I live in "The Beaches" sounds a little snooty. Feeling the need to place a "Beach" bumper sticker on ones car is like annoucing to the rest of Toronto, that you're a snooty person.

Other then that, I like it here.

Well that's the funny thing about the Beach/es. It's always been solidly middle class or bourgeouis but some of the people that live there think it's Rosedale east.

My favourite part of The Beach(es) is not in the Beach(es). My favourite part is Fallingbrook. Walking distance to the shops and restaurants, but infinitely quieter and less congested. Much nicer houses for the most part too (albeit expensive).

My favourite part of The Beach(es) is not in the Beach(es). My favourite part is Fallingbrook. Walking distance to the shops and restaurants, but infinitely quieter and less congested. Much nicer houses for the most part too (albeit expensive).
I'd think for all intents and purposes, the 3 or 4 blocks of Scarborough between Kingston Road and Queen Street that is east of Victoria Park, and cut-off from the rest of Scarborough by that golf course would be considered "The Beach" - more so than the Upper Beach section.

Personally, when house-hunting, I avoided anything south of Kingston Road, as I drive often enough, I didn't want to deal with the congestion on Kingston Road and Queen Street ... and the battle of finding a parking spot. And I wanted to be walking distance to the subway (as though I often drive, more often than not I don't).

I'd think for all intents and purposes, the 3 or 4 blocks of Scarborough between Kingston Road and Queen Street that is east of Victoria Park, and cut-off from the rest of Scarborough by that golf course would be considered "The Beach" - more so than the Upper Beach section.

Logically, yes. But many of the Beach(es) denizens feel quite strongly that one may as well be living on the moon if one is east of Victoria Park.

Really, unless your house is south of Queen street, you're not in Beach(es) area. Everything further North is real estate chatter.

Actually, it's south of Kingston Rd. The real boundaries of the Beaches are North: Kingston Rd, East: Vic Park and West Woodbine Ave. South would be the lake.

But in the 80s real estate agents began extending those boundaries to include Gerrard St. to the north and Coxwell to the west.

No I've heard of some even going as far as to include Danforth Ave. as the Upper Beaches.

Thanks for being considerate :)

Moving along... are there any family grocers along Queen East? I'm thinking Wineva going east?

If you venture 2 blocks West of Wineva you'll find "Carload" right beside the IGA. It used to be owned by Suzy, but she retired and they remodelled the interior. Great produce.

I know Cirone's has been around a long time, but I find that he doesn't move inventory fast enough. There's even dust on the chocolate bar wrappers!

There's another Carload on Bloor near Windermere. I think it used to be a quasi-chain of greengrocers...

I've been living in The Beaches for about 18 months now, and can't bring myself to call it The Beach...as one poster above said, and to me, it sounds like I live in a tent down at the beach.

I love the area, especially the dog friendly atmosphere, but do agree there are alot of families here, and have to wonder whats going to happen when they all reach teenager at the same time. The crowds along Queen St. in the summer can be a hassle for a resident just trying to go about normal business (groceries, library etc)...but having two dogs and an offleash area basically a block away makes up for it, most of the time :)

I do wish the police and bylaw would patrol the park and boardwalk more often. I've gone through the park on a monday morning with the dogs and have seen where people have BBQ'd right on the grass, under a tree..and of course all the chicken bones and other food garbage left behind.

Back