News   Jun 14, 2024
 855     0 

The 3-inch condo is here

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Hahaha, finally a place i can hide my stack:D

A Toronto developer has plans under way to develop what they believe will be the first condominium building comprised of safety deposit boxes.

Parallax Investment Corporation has purchased a lot in Markham, Ont., to construct its 16,000 sq. ft. ultra high-tech security project comprised of safety deposit boxes that range in size. About half the project will be devoted to client parking, and 2,000 sq. ft. of it will be vault space. There will be around-the-clock security, client reception areas, and small private suites.

But instead of operating as a rental, SafeBox Condominium Vaults will operate as a condo, with presales launching March 31. It will have a completion date some time in spring 2013. Although there won't be anyone living in the building, it will operate like a condo development, says Parallax's Nigel Lawson.

Owners will run the building collectively by a condo board, and residents will cover repair bills, pay condo fees and property taxes.

However, unlike renting a safety deposit box, they will be able to sell their boxes or rent them out. While there are lease-style projects in other countries, he says this will be the first condominiumized safety deposit box property.

“We are offering a product you can't get anywhere else,†says Mr. Lawson, who, as a lawyer, oversees the legal aspects of the company's acquisitions. “Because they will own it, they have more flexibility.â€

“If a bank closes, you lose your safety deposit box, you have no certainty of continuity.

“As well, you have a purchase price upfront, and when you sell it, you recoup it. There's ability to make money off it…you have the same rights and privileges that any homeowner or business owner has.â€

The price of the three-inch high, 10-inch wide, 24-inch deep gold box is $3,600, with an annual fee of $109, and taxes of $64. The platinum box, which is the same length and width, but eight inches high, has a price tag of $5,500, with an annual fee of $273 and taxes of $97.
More..............http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life... RSS/Atom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2384851

Hahaha, finally a place i can hide my stack:D

A Toronto developer has plans under way to develop what they believe will be the first condominium building comprised of safety deposit boxes.url]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/real-estate-development/the-3-inch-condo-is-here/article2384851/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2384851[/url]

On a serious note, Automation Gallery, a few days ago, there was a news item on BBC that the local banks have started advising East Indian clients to start removing their gold jewellery from the safety boxes as the banks, in case of break ins, will no long guarantee the contents of the boxes rented.

About 2/3 months ago, there was a small news item, in The Star I believe, that the police has busted a gang that was breaking into the houses, mainly in Brampton, of East Indians where marriages were soon to take place. Families had brought jewellery from safety deposit boxes for upcoming marriages.

May be the time for a 3-inch condo has really come.:)

There definitely is a market for safety deposit boxes. If anybody has ever tried to secure one, you'll know that it can be quite difficult finding a bank in Toronto that even has safety boxes available.

Back