News   Jul 16, 2024
 274     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 389     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TCHC fire sale?

This is unbelievable. TCHC owns 50 derelict homes in PRIME Cabbagetown with an estimated value of $30 Million!

Even if these single family homes were in good condition why would we house TCHC tenants in one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Toronto:mad:

As they stand the homes are just bringing down the character of the area. I don't think that there can be any question that they should be put on the market straight away.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...splays-ills-of-social-housing/article2054954/

Where do expect these people live now the area has become an upscale area for the snobs??

People should have the rights to live and have things as the snobs do since they are forced to work for peanuts by the snobs in the first place. Some of the low class people are not there by choice in the first place.

In some cases, some of these low class people want a free ride and are not prepared to look after the homes they get for a faction they should be paying for in the first place. They should be replace by people who have pride and will look after the place a lot better.

Cabbagetown was not the nices place to live years ago until the area started to change for the better.

I guess you must be one of the snobs, since I am not one, considering I grew up in Cabbagetown in the first place in a run down house. I live very well today.

Where do expect these people live now the area has become an upscale area for the snobs??

People should have the rights to live and have things as the snobs do since they are forced to work for peanuts by the snobs in the first place. Some of the low class people are not there by choice in the first place.

In some cases, some of these low class people want a free ride and are not prepared to look after the homes they get for a faction they should be paying for in the first place. They should be replace by people who have pride and will look after the place a lot better.

Cabbagetown was not the nices place to live years ago until the area started to change for the better.

I guess you must be one of the snobs, since I am not one, considering I grew up in Cabbagetown in the first place in a run down house. I live very well today.

First of all Cabbagetown didn't just recently become upscale. This area started gentrifying in the '70's so this is not a case of poor people being displaced by "snobs" as you like to call them ( and no, I don't live in Cabbagetown ).

Where should we house the poor? Certainly not in single family homes along streets where the average price of a home is well over a $Million. This is insane!

Instead the city should sell every single property it owns in these upscale areas, e.g. Cabbagetown, Riverdale, the Beach, etc. and use the substantial proceeds to build affordable housing in areas where land is still affordable. For each property that they sell in Cabbagetown the city could probably build 2 new town homes in a less expensive area of town. The proceeds of the sale of one vacant home in Cabbagetown would probably cover the cost to bring 10 dilapidated TCHC apartment units up to livable standards.

Where should we house the poor? Certainly not in single family homes along streets where the average price of a home is well over a $Million. This is insane!

Why is it insane? This is what an urban mosaic is about. Are you actually suggesting that we marginalize the less fortunate to pockets of the city where "the rest of us" can ignore them and the social issues that displace them in the first place?

If you want a city with homogenized neighbourhoods, that's what the suburbs are for.

Why is it insane? This is what an urban mosaic is about. Are you actually suggesting that we marginalize the less fortunate to pockets of the city where "the rest of us" can ignore them and the social issues that displace them in the first place?

If you want a city with homogenized neighbourhoods, that's what the suburbs are for.

i don't know if peepers is saying the poor should not be living in areas like cabbagetown, but the idea of housing people in SFH isn't as cost effective and the best use of public funds as providing housing in apt/condos ... at least that's what i got from it.

alot of the new TCHC buildings going up now are centrally located and in mixed-income areas like Regent Park and Cityplace with all the market value condos ... it worked well for St. Lawrence market

I agree. Nothing wrong with publicly owned housing in Cabbagetown per se, but single family dwellings are not the way to do it. Incredibly inefficient. Dorm room housing with shared bathrooms and kitchens generally isn't the way to do it either though, cuz nobody wants to live there.

For sale Vancouver BC - Essential Business Service – Business Valuation in Vancouver BC

THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO BUY OR SELL A BUSINESS.
A viable business that creates both employment and profit is far more valuable than a traditional job and often provides more freedom and security for the owner.
PROPER VALUATION IS ESSENTIAL!
Opportunity for you to work under license. – Earn $400 per client.
Earn while you learn.
Because of the unique method we use we can give our client a very accurate valuation for $1,000
The alternative for the client is to try and sell a business that has no proper explanation of the real rate of return on their business.
How can anyone possibly sell a business without proper proof of value?
The alternative to our service is usually $3,000 to $10,000 and generally not as accurate.
Want to be a referral agent- License not required - we pay up to 20%

VALUATION EXPLANATION
SELLERS - BUYERS - VALUE FOR DIVORCE - INSURANCE - TAX NEEDS - LOANS
I have 38 years experience in business and use a unique formula I developed from the perspective of a Charted Accountant and a formula used by a resume broker who understood how to put a value on the skills and knowledge of people.
I am unique. I understand what questions to ask. Most business valuation companies only recognize the information given to the tax department. In my opinion they do not understand the value of human capital or the true value of a business, most especially a small business. This is how my service is different.
The report I return to you will be something easily understood by both you, and those you present it to. It will be practical. It will have reasons that will make sense. It will take into consideration much more than just the tax numbers, and it will be a lot cheaper than any valuation you might get elsewhere. Unless you are asking me to do something unusual I will give you my report for a very economical $1,000 (one thousand dollars) plus applicable taxes.

Vancouver BC (604) 200-2489

i don't know if peepers is saying the poor should not be living in areas like cabbagetown,

I'm not saying that the poor should not live in areas like Cabbagetown. Regent Park and St. James Town are part of Cabbagetown and are already home to many poor. What I am saying is it makes no sense to provide single family housing in PRIME Cabbagetown to people on social assistance. Lets sell those 50 SFH dwellings and use the proceeds of the sales to improve TCHC units in St Jamestown and Regent Park. What could be wrong with that:confused:

The houses were probably bought back in the time when Cabbagetown was still a slum. Anyways, the TCHC should either renovate those houses into multi-unit apartments, or sell those homes and build new ones in other neighbourhoods.

Housing proceeds to go back into TCHC, Ford now says

In a subsequent memo to members of his executive committee, Ford’s office said he “fully agrees” with Ootes.

“It’s good to know that he’s big enough to know when he’s wrong. But for those of us who are unsure about his judgment, it just tells you why we are,” said left-leaning Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina). “He makes policy up on the fly. And for the people who live in those homes, they got a good shot of anxiety for a day and a bit while the mayor mused about their living arrangements publicly.”

I'm not sure I see the need to start selling functioning houses no matter where they are.

But couldn't we all agree if the property is sitting vacant because there is no money to fix it, that it can be sold?

I'm not sure I see the need to start selling functioning houses no matter where they are.

But couldn't we all agree if the property is sitting vacant because there is no money to fix it, that it can be sold?
I would say that using single family dwellings in expensive neighbourhoods is a poor allocation of resources. So vacant or not, I might support selling them off. For the occupied ones, they can be sold off later rather than sooner.

Besides most neighbourhoods in the city even "upscale" areas have plenty of potential development sites or conversion opportunities for multi-residential housing.

Philosophically I also agree with the idea, even if it is being implemented in stealth, to shrink not expand the size and mandate of TCHC. There are some who believe that all "poor" people should be housed in public housing. I don't share this view. I don't think working poor people should be the focus or mandate of TCHC. I think the working poor would be best served by a rental subsidy. I think people who are difficult or impossible to house in the private system should be TCHC's focus. These people should be given MORE resources per capita.

In essence what I am suggesting is that TCHC should shrink in size and mandate and devote more resources to each indivdual resident and keep their smaller portfolios of properties in a good state of management and repair.

I have no birthgiven right to live and own my house in Cabbagetown. I worked for it, and paid for it. If I didn't have the brains or good fortune to earn a good living then I wouldn't have the money for pay for the Cabbagetown house and thus would not be living in the area. That doesn't make me a snob, but if my thinking that "if you want something you must earn it" seems unfair and even snobbish, so be it.

Having neighborhoods of nothing but poor people is a problem, but so is having areas with only rich folk. There are a lot of TCHC buildings scattered in the Annex. Houses, but subdivided into apartments, or with a dozen or so people living communally. A lot of the people living in them are artist and activist types.

If the houses were sold, they'd most likely be converted into single family homes for lawyers or Bay streeters. As has happened to many of the other big houses in the Annex. In the long run this would make the Annex a much drabber place, more like Forrest Hill than the vibrant neighbourhood it is now. TCHC buildings in Cabbagetown and the Beaches create a bulwark against a rich people monoculture in those areas as well.

Back