News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

TCHC fire sale?

Did you forget how he rammed the land transfer tax and vehicle tax through council despite the fact the council was clearly against them?

"Rammed" them through?? Are you kidding? It was months of debates, compromises, deferrals and heavy lobbying against it on the part of TREB before council voted in favour of both new taxes. At least Miller was able to convince council that you can't just pretend massive budget shortfalls can be illuminated by magic or deferring the problem indefinitely.

Makes you wonder why a govt department should be dumping money into the stock market. But you know, it could be a way of embezzling money as well. For example, you buy a certain stock, then you sell it off for a profit to someone else. On tv shows they usually show someone who owns the stock and selling it for a high price to the company they are trading on behalf of. Hence money from company to money to their own pockets. It's also a tactic used by some people to take over a company. Bankrupt a company you work for by selling goods at steep discounts to a company they own (of course not directly in their own name).

That is a huge leap.....they lost money investing so they must be crooks?

Likely, this is just a case of a bad execution of a flawed investment policy. TCHC probably has a massive float of cash that needs to be invested on a monthly (likely daily) basis. If the people who own the company (ie the taxpayers of toronto) can't stomach them having ocassional losses in the stock market they should insist that the investment policy governing that cash should be amended to limit the investments to government bonds and money market instruments (keep in mind, you can lose money there to but the swings are a bit less). Before you insist on that, however, think how you would react/feel if the posting above said "CP24 is reporting TCHC made $41.4 million investing its cash in the stock market!"......and before they get condemned for losing this money, this time, someone should look at, say, their 10 year history of using some of their excess cash in the market....if they are "net" ahead and then you forbid them from this activity the lost opportunity to supplement their cash flow in this manner will just lead to, either, greater need for subsidies or less money available to house their constituency group!

But your right...they are probably just crooks! ;)

Let's be honest, this is clearly a case of Rob Ford using the report as an excuse to advance his own agenda. Still, it's fun to see TCHC in disarray. Toronto Star had a story about a man being paid $411 rent supplement for an one bed room apartment.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/949239--public-money-private-apartment

I know working couples living in shared accommodations, paying high taxes, yet a single man is living in an one bedroom apartment supported by taxpayers like the working couples. Put him in a basement room, maybe the city doesn't have to pay him at all and we wouldn't have a budget hole.

This is the solution to social housing issues, not the problem.

This man is a prime example of why rent subsidies work. They integrate social housing recipients into the broader community and buildings and neighbourhoods don't get labeled as social housing ghettos.

Sell off buildings where the market permits and use the proceeds to increase the rent subsidy bank.

This man is a prime example of why rent subsidies work.

But the real question is...is he the rule...or the exception?

I doubt it's realistic to think a one size fits all approach will work.

The voucher system is already in use in Toronto, and accounts for about 10% of housing costs. But I think you are ignoring the glaring flaw in this logic...supply vs demand. It will only work (if it does indeed even work) up to a certain point.

The reason the city is in the affordable housing business is because the stock of private affordable housing doesn't exist. 164,000 already in public housing, with another 70,000 on a waiting list. Sorry, but there simply aren't enough private owned affordable housing units to put these nearly 1/4 million extra people if you were to unleash them on the private sector. And what private company in their right mind would think they could make a profit by buying TCHC's housing stock without raising rents, and therefore raising the city's rent subsidies?

Sure, the Regent Park scenario represents a good private-public situation, but only because it can be bulldozed and started from scratch with a high density, mixed income, public-private condo development. Most situations does not allow for this.

The only real solution is for the city to stop being solely in the money-losing business of subsidized housing, and start getting into the profit-making business of real estate development to subsidize the money-losing portion.

^surely if you "unleash" that 1/4 million people on the private sector you would also unleash the units too....so you are still in the same position.

Why would a private sector company buy the units? Well, at a price, there is a profit to be made. There are a lot of private sector guys building small rental projects all over the province in partnership with the province/CMHC/municipalities....it is how most affordable housing is delivered these days. So if I were a private sector guy negoitiating to buy TCHC's portfolio and I knew 2 of the variables (rent from/on behalf of the tenants and cost of refurbishing the portfolio) was fixed and I could quantify how much development potential/profit I could unleash from adding uints/density then the only variable to be moved around would be the price I would pay for the existing units.

I think I read somewhere that someone valued the portfolio at $6 billion.....if, say, that lead to a breakeven situation what is to stop a private sector guy offering $5 billion?

The current mix of rent subsidies and publicly owned housing is a pretty decent model, honestly. The problem with a fully privatized model with rent subsidies is that it pushes anyone living in affordable housing to areas with cheaper rents (the suburbs, in this case) which creates a host of potential problems, including the creation of ghettos, problems with accessibility & transportation, etc.

The private sector certainly has a role to play in our housing strategy, but it's important to find a balance that works. 200 Wellesley, for example, was a privately-managed TCHC building. They clearly weren't properly managing that property.

surely if you "unleash" that 1/4 million people on the private sector you would also unleash the units too....so you are still in the same position.

Oh, but you are in a very fundamentally different position. The mandate of TCHC is “to provide affordable housing, connect tenants to services and opportunities and work together to build healthy communities”. The mandate of private sector is to maximize profits...period. Who's best interests do you think are going to be served by leaving social services for the most vulnerable and marginalized people up to the private sector?

I think I read somewhere that someone valued the portfolio at $6 billion.....if, say, that lead to a breakeven situation what is to stop a private sector guy offering $5 billion?

First off, it would require more than 15% off it's value to entice private developers to purchase it. Secondly, selling off assets is not a sustainable way to manage operating budgets. The city will lose the borrowing advantage of those assets, the huge mortgage subsidies from the province and feds (as well as other upper level government funds for social housing), not to mention the $300 million in revenues these assets generate.

All for what? So the city can be on the hook for escalating rent vouchers based on higher market rents that will cost us more in the long run? No direct control over social housing units? So we can make the responsibility of social housing somebody else's problem? And let's face it, most people in favour of "privatizing" public responsibilities don't care about those who need it...they just want it out of their hair and not have to deal with it.

Did you forget how he rammed the land transfer tax and vehicle tax through council despite the fact the council was clearly against them?
Why are you making up such tall tales about what happened?

What is your motivation to lie to us?

It wasn't rammed through, the process took months and involved public hearings. At the end of the day it even got delated to a later council because people wanted to consider it more. And how can you possibly say "council was clearly against them" when the majority of council voted in favour?

Oh, but you are in a very fundamentally different position. The mandate of TCHC is “to provide affordable housing, connect tenants to services and opportunities and work together to build healthy communities”. The mandate of private sector is to maximize profits...period. Who's best interests do you think are going to be served by leaving social services for the most vulnerable and marginalized people up to the private sector?

I was only questioning your math. In your first post on this you said that "sorry, but there simply aren't enough private owned affordable housing units to put these nearly 1/4 million extra people"....I was suggesting that the majority of those people (by your own numbers) are already housed so you don't need to find units to put them in.

Yes the private sector has a profit motive. What the Province has found through its current affordable housing strategy is that they have been able to meet those needs and working with the feds/cmhc/municipalities has been able to produce over 10k new affordable housing units in the province. It is not a perfect program and not all of those units were developed by for profit companies but it shows there is a formula where affordable housing can be produced and maitained through collaboration.

First off, it would require more than 15% off it's value to entice private developers to purchase it. Secondly, selling off assets is not a sustainable way to manage operating budgets. The city will lose the borrowing advantage of those assets, the huge mortgage subsidies from the province and feds (as well as other upper level government funds for social housing), not to mention the $300 million in revenues these assets generate.

All for what? So the city can be on the hook for escalating rent vouchers based on higher market rents that will cost us more in the long run? No direct control over social housing units? So we can make the responsibility of social housing somebody else's problem? And let's face it, most people in favour of "privatizing" public responsibilities don't care about those who need it...they just want it out of their hair and not have to deal with it.

I am not close enough to know what the discount would need to be or, even, if the $6 billion is a real number. All I was doing was answering your question "And what private company in their right mind would think they could make a profit by buying TCHC's housing stock without raising rents, and therefore raising the city's rent subsidies?". There are two ways, yes, to make that portfolio of housing profitable (and, therefore, attractive) to the private sector.....one is raise the rents as you suggest...that is likely not politically acceptable or practical (most people living in the units are there through need not desire) but the other way is just reduce the price.

Not sure what you mean by the loss of $300 million in revenues being a bad thing. Are those revenues "net", ie is the city making $300 million? If they are then this portfolio is already profitable and you should either be advocating a reduction in the rents (because apparantly profit in housing is bad) or we would not be discussing this issue because the city would be rolling in cash and instead of criticizing the spending at TCHC we should be lauding them for doing a great job and giving the employees some of that as bonuses before they leave to go work for a private sector company.

Likely I think those are gross revenues and are exceeded by the expenses in operating the portfolio. In which case, the gap between the $300 million and the expenses (ie the loss) could be the starting point of the amount of subsidy a private sector buyer should/would seek for purchasing the units.

Look, lets be clear, I don't know enough about this portfolio and its economics to know whether a sale is or is not a good idea. What I do know, from experience, is that there are different models for delivering affordable housing and the government is not the only way to do it (it may be a good way, it may be the easiest way for the public to get its head around and, in the end, it may actually be an efficient way). There are alternatives that balance the fiscal needs of the city and the housing needs of the community. To not, at least, look at the options is (IMO) far to dogmatic a position to take.....particulalry in a city like Toronto at this time when we have tenants upset about the amount of housing and quality of housing available while, at the same time, the fiscal conservatives are not happy with the performance of the TCHC......now would seem the perfect time to, at least, look at the alternative models!

I think innovation with regards to public housing is necessary, as it involvement from the private sector. Strategies like working with new condo developers so that a percentage of units are designated as rent-geared-to-income have proven effective.

What I'm concerned about is a move toward increased privatization that's driven by a desire for cost savings.

I think innovation with regards to public housing is necessary, as it involvement from the private sector. Strategies like working with new condo developers so that a percentage of units are designated as rent-geared-to-income have proven effective.

What I'm concerned about is a move toward increased privatization that's driven by a desire for cost savings.

It is not condo developers you need to get at....they are building to sell not rent. We need to a) spur people to build rental accommodation and b) find a way to make sure that some of those units are affordable. Right now we have very limited building of rental units and the economics are such that only units that are way beyond anyone's definition of "affordable housing" can get off the drawing board.

That is a huge leap.....they lost money investing so they must be crooks?

Likely, this is just a case of a bad execution of a flawed investment policy. TCHC probably has a massive float of cash that needs to be invested on a monthly (likely daily) basis. If the people who own the company (ie the taxpayers of toronto) can't stomach them having ocassional losses in the stock market they should insist that the investment policy governing that cash should be amended to limit the investments to government bonds and money market instruments (keep in mind, you can lose money there to but the swings are a bit less). Before you insist on that, however, think how you would react/feel if the posting above said "CP24 is reporting TCHC made $41.4 million investing its cash in the stock market!"......and before they get condemned for losing this money, this time, someone should look at, say, their 10 year history of using some of their excess cash in the market....if they are "net" ahead and then you forbid them from this activity the lost opportunity to supplement their cash flow in this manner will just lead to, either, greater need for subsidies or less money available to house their constituency group!

But your right...they are probably just crooks! ;)

The money given to them were for repairs that would last 3 years or so. Dumping it into stocks is like gambling especially for short periods of time. The money didn't go into repairs which it should have been for. If you need to fix your house with the cash flow for the next 3 years, would you dump them in stocks hoping to increase the value? Or lose it all and not do any repairs? Stocks is a form of gambling. There is no guarantee for 100% profit.

Dumping money into stocks is very, very common among government agencies. It's rare for portfolios to lose money over the sorts of medium time frames money is parked there, eg a couple years. THe markets are again trading at pre-recession levels; a portfolio might have "lost money" in 2008 but that's since been made back.

That's the thing. it's not a gamble, nor irresponsible. The recent recession was the biggest in decades, and even then portfolios took only a few years to regain the losses. Had they not sold those stocks they wouldn't have lost a penny, and might have made a few dollars. They lost 20 million dollars once, but that same stock portfolio has probably yielded upwards of a hundred million dollars of income in the last decade.

The issue is, where do you keep "spare" money (ie, budget carryovers etc) anyways? The stock market yields pretty easily 7%, which is much higher than the gains achieved from payign down debt or shuffling it around by buying bonds.

The money given to them were for repairs that would last 3 years or so. Dumping it into stocks is like gambling especially for short periods of time. The money didn't go into repairs which it should have been for. If you need to fix your house with the cash flow for the next 3 years, would you dump them in stocks hoping to increase the value? Or lose it all and not do any repairs? Stocks is a form of gambling. There is no guarantee for 100% profit.

Yes...stocks are variable...I get that.....my response was taking issue with your notion/suggestion that these losses make them " crooks"!

An interesting article in the Star:

TCHC: Looking beyond the spin

Published Fri, Mar 11, 2011

By Lindsey Reed

Losses on the stock market? Appliances from China? Splitting purchase orders? Holt Renfew chocolates? What was TCHC thinking?

That’s the question any fair-minded person would ask after reading the Auditor General’s two reports on Toronto Community Housing. It’s certainly the question the housing community has been asking.

We were pleased to see the Auditor General confirm this was not a case of fraud or corruption. Anyone who has ever met or worked with either former CEO Derek Ballantyne or CEO Keiko Nakamura already knows them to be compassionate, competent and honourable. Derek Ballantyne played a central role in the revitalization of Regent Park — an internationally recognized $1 billion project, with $500 million raised from private financing, the sale of private units and other levels of government. Keiko Nakamura’s commitment to social housing tenants was repeatedly cited by tenants at the deputations on March 3.

Those who are watching the media closely are beginning to understand the story behind the headlines. It now appears the $75 million TCHC received from Toronto Hydro was never at risk. The funds that were lost in the crash of 2008 are being recouped, and it looks like TCHC will meet its $200 million investment target by 2015. The appliances from China may have saved over $550,000. Splitting purchase orders allowed TCHC to complete major repairs before the “use it or lose” it deadline for federal stimulus funding. As for the chocolates, all I can say is that most corporate executives, both public and private, understand the value of teambuilding and recognition. And a $15 year-end bonus for 60 volunteers, paid out in chocolate, seems skimpy by corporate standards.

This does not excuse sloppy records or bad procurement practices. Many items still require an explanation. But it’s worth noting that some reports suggest that if you add up the Auditor General’s highest numbers from the procurement estimates, and match it with questionable employee expenses, the entire scandal represents a tiny fraction of the total 2009 operating budget.

We also need to remember that we can’t have it both ways. TCHC is a business corporation. We can’t tell them to act like the private sector — raising private capital, generating investment returns — and then punish them when they do.

While TCHC sorts out their business practices, there are much bigger fish to fry. The 2002 merger of three municipal housing corporations – each with issues of its own – into one mega-corporation never really worked. The time to reform it is long past. Let’s use this opportunity to start fresh.

How? Let’s start with the tenants. Mayor Ford has a strong track record of helping tenants. And every Torontonian of good will want to see good homes for the 164,000 people who now live at TCHC, and the thousands who will come after them.

Tenant rents return $262.9 million back to the public purse. As taxpayers, it’s their turn to speak up and say clearly what you want to happen next. Right now, the public is listening.

It’s also the moment for new approaches. I don’t see privatization as a bogey-man. We can learn a lot from how social housing is handled in other countries. We can also apply methods of financing much needed capital repairs that have proven effective in private sector real estate markets. And we can bring together the experts from the private, public and non-profit realms to solve some of the problems that have beset TCHC.

I’d like to see a Blue Ribbon panel gather the best in housing research, and then come up with a plan that answers the big questions. How do we help the next generation, who may never be able to afford to own a home? How can TCHC better serve as a stepping stone for the under-employed and poorly housed immigrant families it houses so they become financially self-sufficient? How can we enable our growing seniors’ population to live in independence and dignity?

Finally, it’s time to reassure volunteer boards by being clear about their role and accountabilities. Scared boards do not make good business decisions. It’s also hard to attract the best and the brightest if they think the cost to their reputation is too high.

This moment could shape the face of housing for the next 30 years. If we bungle it, we’ll be paying a lot more than $1000 for those chocolates. A high price indeed!

Lindsey Reed has worked in social housing for the past 30 years and is the Chief Executive Officer of the Social Housing Services Corporation.

Back