News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TCHC fire sale?

You're oversimplifying the issue greatly - if there was space available in private rentals invariably market rental pricing would decrease to the point where low-income people could afford to live in them. There is not a glut of rentals available, just waiting for rent subsidies to kick in.

I think integration is important, and evidently so does TCHC - their whole strategy as of late has been integrating market housing with subsidized housing.

The poverty trap is important to consider, but one of the major needs for social housing we're facing and are going to face even more over the next few decades is from seniors. For them, the only escape from the poverty trap is dying.

Actually the escape from the poverty trap is to be fiscally responsible when you were young.

Having said that, could you explain to me why we have so many seniors facing poverty? The maximum OAS+GIS is about $1000 for single person, $1500 for couples. That's a lot of money comparing to Ontario Works benefits.

Peepers:

Actually Fife's mandate is not just to provide housing (shelter) per se - but housing w/ support services to people living with HIV/AIDS, plus transitional housing and homelessness outreach. And just because there are 15 management staff listed doesn't mean the organization only has 15 staff. Clearly someone should do some research instead of pulling numbers out of an annual report, count number of names mentioned on a website and do some remidial grade 3 math before evoking the gravy train.

AoD

Last edited:
If you're asking whether TCHC should sell off *all* its properties and cease to be, then my answer is yes. I think Ford was talking about giving individual residents rent subsidies so that they could afford to move out of TCHC complexes, and I think that's definitely an idea worth exploring. The present system doesn't seem to be helping anyone.

Housing agency calls emergency meeting to deal with scathing report

The Toronto Community Housing Corp.’s board of directors has called an emergency meeting to deal with a scathing report expected to be released by the city’s auditor general on Monday.

Said to be extremely damning in its nature, the intricate details of the report are still unknown to the 13 directors of the TCHC board who have nevertheless scheduled an emergency meeting for Thursday.

On Saturday, the Star’s Joe Fiorito reported that a portion of auditor Jeffrey Griffiths’ probe will reveal how agency staff misused public funding that could have been used to fix up some of the city’s dilapidated community housing buildings.

Among the expense improprieties allegedly committed by TCHC staff: an $1,850 boat cruise; $1,925 in manicures and pedicures; a $40,000 staff Christmas party and $1,000 in chocolates purchased from Holt Renfrew.

More.....http://www.thestar.com/news/article...mergency-meeting-to-deal-with-scathing-report

The report is out and it appears that the problems go way beyond inappropriate expense reports. According to the Toronto Star coverage - multi-million dollar un-tendered contracts were awarded to Chinese suppliers using "agents" friendly with (unamed) TCHC employees. This stinks of corruption! :mad:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...-housing-ceo-promises-discipline?bn=1#article

Despite these facts the Chair of the TCHC - David Mitchell had this to say:

"Mr. Mitchell said there are no immediate plans to ask police to investigate.

“The auditor has indicated there are no indications of fraud that would require a criminal investigation at this point.â€

He also expressed his complete confidence in the CEO :confused:

I hope that Mayor Ford will fire both the Chair and CEO of the TCHC along with any of the employees involved with inappropriate expense reports or contracts. I hope he will also ask the police to launch a full-scale corruption investigation into these suspicious contracts.

UPDATE

This has just been posted by the Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/946156--ford-to-replace-housing-board?bn=1

Rob Ford isn't wasting anytime in cleaning up this mess. :D He has asked for the resignation of the board (including Chair David Mitchell) and will be meeting with the current and past CEO's "to discuss their future with the city" (past CEO Derek Ballantyne currently heads up "Build Toronto".

Despite these facts the Chair of the TCHC - David Mitchell had this to say:

"Mr. Mitchell said there are no immediate plans to ask police to investigate.

“The auditor has indicated there are no indications of fraud that would require a criminal investigation at this point.â€

That David Mitchell guy just looks incompetent and untrustworthy.

Mark_Corrigan.jpg

:p

That's not David Mitchell, or at least the David Mitchell of TCHC. He is black.

That David Mitchell guy just looks incompetent and untrustworthy.

Mark_Corrigan.jpg

:p

who's that pic you attached because it's not the Chair of the TCHC - David Mitchell.
The pic in the newspaper article shows that Mr. Mitchell is black.

CP24 is reporting TCHC lost $41.4 million investing in the stock market!

EDIT: Ah this is yesterday's news it turns out.
Did The Star cover thisat all? I can't find the report.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, this is clearly a case of Rob Ford using the report as an excuse to advance his own agenda. Still, it's fun to see TCHC in disarray. Toronto Star had a story about a man being paid $411 rent supplement for an one bed room apartment.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/949239--public-money-private-apartment

I know working couples living in shared accommodations, paying high taxes, yet a single man is living in an one bedroom apartment supported by taxpayers like the working couples. Put him in a basement room, maybe the city doesn't have to pay him at all and we wouldn't have a budget hole.

Back