368     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 411     0 

Tall Buildings data at TOBuilt

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello,

I've finally updated the data and the pages at TOBuilt, to introduce a new resource for tall buildings only. The page has a bunch of clickable lists that rank highrises, graphs that show patterns of high-rise construction over time, and maps that show the spread of high-rises in the city over time.

I did two sets of maps, one shows only those buildings built in particular five-year periods by neighbourhood, and one shows cumulative floors by neighbourhood. The hope is that it shows the spread of tall buildings in a user friendly way. The maps are clickable and will show just the highrises for that neighbourhood for that period. There is also a powerpoint slideshow that you can view (though I'm not that pleased with how it works over the web, if you click through the pages too fast, you get a message about downloading it, but it would take me a lot to do something in flash, with which I am unfamiliar).

There is a small discussion of various difficulties with the data on the main page, but for overall trends I am pretty happy with it.

Awesome. Puts my 400 foot list to shame.

Excellent work.

Amazing site! All your effort is appreciated. Thanks!:)

Primo job, Archivist. A couple of buildings I noticed being absent are Stinson's Sapphire and the original 1991 B-A Centre (the 280m pomo thing with the spire). Maybe you just blocked them out.

Your graphs show that, despite what was seen as an unprecedented boom of development in recent years, the mid-'60s to late-'70s was by far a more fertile period.

Strange, the Sapphire Tower is there in its various incarnations, though as a never built, so it doesn't show in some of the lists. It is sometimes a hard call when you create a "new" proposal when things are updated, so I have a "First Toronto Tower" and I do have "Sapphire", but Downtown Plaza became subsumed under "Sapphire".

The earlier Po-Mo Bay Adelaide is also there, though also subsumed under the late 1990's Bay-Adelaide. I wonder if these really ought to be separated out? I would be open to doing so.

Thanks for the kind comments. Do the maps make sense? I had a hard time trying to explain what they showed.

Yes, our peak highrise was definitely 1969-1972, which I guess is evident enough if you drive around the city much. Our more recent building tends, I find, to be concentrated to a much larger extent in the central city and just a few suburban neighbourhoods.

I also find it fascinating that in 1979 there were still no buildings in what we currently call the Entertainment District that were 12 storeys or more, which helps me to understand why so very much is happening there now.

Very nice Archivist! Any chance of adding a rank field?

interchange,

I wanted to add a rank field, and it turns out that this is one of the most very difficult things you can do in SQL and PHP. A big challenge. So I had to decide whether to go with the page without a rank and get it live, or really concentrate on the rank. You can see what the result was. I haven't given up on it, but I now understand why most sites that list buildings in any order don't rank them - it's really vexing from a system point of view.

Fair enough!

Thanks for the quick response - what excellent service! I'll be sure to tell all my friends!

Excellent website. Great work building that reference site. I couldn't help but notice that Spire's address is listed as 200 Church, however it's correct address is 100 Church. Sorry for the nitpicking. :eek:

Excellent website. Great work building that reference site. I couldn't help but notice that Spire's address is listed as 200 Church, however it's correct address is 100 Church. Sorry for the nitpicking. :eek:
I think Spire's address is actually 33 Lombard St. The actual residential condo entrance is on Lombard. Maybe 100/200 Church refers to one of the retail spaces?

Last edited:

Back