News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 869     0 

Swansea / Bloor West Village

Darn I wonder why it always seems busy no ? Any idea who may be replacing them ?

Darn I wonder why it always seems busy no ? Any idea who may be replacing them ?

They stuck around just long enough to take out Book City's Bloor West Village location. Mission Accomplished.

(No, I'm not putting all my stock in that theory, but I have a real hate for Chapters/Indigo.)

Shoppers Drug Mart to take over old ‘Runny’ theatre after Chapters moves out

From InsideToronto.com, at this link:

Shoppers Drug Mart won’t have far to move when it takes over the Runnymede Theatre, currently home to Chapters bookstore.

The pharmacy has confirmed it will be relocating from its spot at Windermere Avenue and Bloor Street West into the Chapters Indigo space in the summer of 2014.
The new store will offer a “beautyBOUTIQUE” along with other enhancements that have yet to be confirmed.
“We look forward to offering our customers and patients an enhanced level of the everyday health, beauty and convenience products and services they have come to trust,” said spokesperson Lana Gogas.
Shoppers assured it will be retaining all of the existing historical features, interior and exterior, including the stage and interior walls.

Parkdale-High Park Councillor Sarah Doucette said she has been in touch with the city’s preservation services to determine what Shoppers can and cannot do in terms of renovations.

Chapters must vacate the premises by March 31. The bookstore will close about a month beforehand, said Drew McGowen, vice-president of real estate for Indigo Books and Music Inc., who had nothing, but compliments for the store and the neighbourhood.

Chapters’ 15 year lease is up and the landlord “can get far more money than we are able to pay,” he said.

McGowen called the store “an icon.” Its architecture and heritage “goes hand-in-hand with a bookstore,” he said.

“The neighbourhood is so fantastic. It’s a store that has little to no parking, but people walk to it all the time,” he told The Villager in an earlier interview.

In 1999, Chapters redeveloped the old theatre, the “Runny” as it was affectionately called, into a bookstore while keeping the cinema’s atmospheric interior in tact. Built in June, 1927, the vaudeville theatre – designed to transport patrons to exotic places – was the first of its kind in Toronto. Designed by Alfred Chapman, it was known for its music and stage shows and could seat as many as 1,400 people. The ceiling was painted to depict a blue sky with puffy clouds; its complex lighting system projected a starry night and airplanes.

The atmospheric-style theatre is one of only three left in Canada.

What will become of the old Shoppers Drug Mart? Will a bookstore open in there? A restaurant? Department store?

Last edited:
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...possibility-of-staying-in-bloor-west-village/

Chapters will host a public town hall meeting in the new year to discuss the possibility of remaining in the Bloor West Village area, a spokesperson said Friday, Nov. 29.

The meeting is scheduled for January, yet details have yet to be ironed out, according to Janet Eger, a representative of Indigo Books and Music Inc.

Well if they're interested in staying in the neighbourhood, I've heard that there's a decent square footage retail store front that is currently Shoppers Drug Mart will be available soon. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if they open up an IndigoSpirit which is a small "boutique" size Indigo that is similar to Coles. There are a few of them in the PATH system.

Upcoming online community consultation for public realm improvements along Bloor West Village at the Bloor & Durie St, Willard Ave, Windermere Ave and Armadale Ave corners.

Open House: Bloor West Beautification Improvements

Community Visual Open House

Monday, February 7, from 6:30–8:00pm

Register for the meeting at: Bloorwestvillagebia.com/events

You are invited to join members of the Bloor West Village BIA, myself and City staff at a Virtual Open House to review the designs for the beautification of four public spaces that will be completed in 2023.

Forest and Field Landscape Architecture Matthew Sweig and City staff will be on hand to walk you through the designs. The project will include the retrofit of four public spaces that will transform former areas into vibrant green spaces. The designs include seating, large canopy trees, perennial plantings, and original poetry by the City’s Poet Lauraute. The four proposed locations include Durie Street, Willard Avenue, Windermere Avenue and Armadale Avenue. The public spaces will be constructed by City-approved contractors and maintained by the Bloor West Village BIA.

willa.jpg

Back