News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Swansea / Bloor West Village

voxpopulicosmicum

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the wake of recently reported acquisitions at Jane & Bloor, I foresee a great hue and cry from the yuppies and ukies about the redevelopment plans for Bloor West in the Village.

No time like the present to rally the anti-NIMBYist forces at urbantoronto.

(discuss)

Next thing you know, they'll fight filling in the valley north of High Park and Bloor and east of Runnymede. Then they'll fight putting in a road and high school over that creek. And probably be against naming one of the avenues after the owner of the property, Mr. Kennedy.

fo1244%5Cf1244_it2301.jpg

And even paving Riverside Drive or South Kingsway, maybe even both.

fo1244%5Cf1244_it0517.jpg

And even paving Riverside Drive or South Kingsway, maybe even both.

fo1244%5Cf1244_it0517.jpg

Those are great pix. I sometimes walk my dog on that hill where the transmission tower is located. The tower is long gone (the line was relocated beside the railway tracks 500ft south), but a couple of the concrete pilings on which it stood are still there. Riverside Drive is, apparently, the head of the Carrying Place Trail that predates whitey's arrival in North America (I'm not favourably disposed to viking claims of discovery).

Vandalism is becoming a problem on Runnymede Road. Every small business is accumulating large tags from Bloor to St. Clair. The public school and utility poles are becoming heavily tagged.

Cobs *so* suits Bloor West Village. Just as it'd suit the Kingsway, if it hadn't chosen to locate in Humbertown, instead...

Cobs *so* suits Bloor West Village. Just as it'd suit the Kingsway, if it hadn't chosen to locate in Humbertown, instead...

Their pastries need more icing and greater dollops of filling. Oh wait, I can go to Tims for that.:D

3 March 2009 Bloor West Village photo update: new shops

First, a sign of the times (aka, Spring is near.:))

dsc02131.jpg

Did Coffee Tree get a new look? I don't seem to remember this sign from the last time I was here (5 months ago.)

dsc02150u.jpg

Another look at Motoretta West:

dsc02155k.jpg

And beside Book City, another new bakery (Sweet Flour Bake Shop) is opening 23 March 2009--hopefully it will be superior to Cobs. (Bloor West Village must have the most bakeries per capita of any neighbourhood in Canada!)

dsc02152.jpg

Rescheduled city-run community meeting re 2500 Bloor

cross-posted from the 2500 Bloor development thread

The required city-sponsored public meeting about this development is scheduled for next Monday night - 5th Oct. @ 7pm in St. Pius X. This replaces the 25th June meeting that was canceled due to industrial action by city-workers.

The design charette meetings are scheduled for Oct. 21st and 28th @ 6pm at The Old Mill.

Any word on Tridel's application at 2500 Bloor West? It's been quiet since Old Mill GM dealership moved out and up to Jane/St Clair.

Back