News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

Supertall and near-Supertall Rumour/Speculation Thread

It might be this. The Financial Post is reporting that Oxford might be moving ahead with a 900k square foot tower in the area of the Concourse Building at 100 Adelaide West. The tenants at 100 Adelaide have been given lease termination notices.

I hope whatever they build incorporates the existing structure somehow--and in a much more sympathetic way than this diagram illustrates.

Nope. We've known about that for a long time and renderings show it being likely sub-200 metres tall.

900,000 square feet isn't going to get you close to super tall status. Considering the old WTC in NYC had 40,000 square feet on each floor an office building with a similar floor plate would only get you 22-23 floors. WTC did have a large floor plate, but still.

not allowed to say anything more than this, so don't ask, but something HUGE is coming to the downtown core.. but not supertall huge. (probably one of dozens of projects on the go right now, but this is the first/only one I have ever had insider knowledge of.)

Ok, as a couple of other posters have mentioned, I think that a logical place for a near supertall is where tower 2 of First Canadian Place was supposed to go -- you know, it was supposed to be a twin towered development ( ah, just feeling a bit mischievious this afternoon ). I do mean that this would replace the TSX building, which is a mere stub of what it was supposed to be.

Actually, the parking lot at Church and Bloor, as far as I know, is part of the little hospital there, Toronto Grace Hospital. Back in the 90's I was hired after finishing my clinical there. Back then I worked as Lab tech, we were told that the hospital would be closed, so they layed me and half the staff off. It's only 118 beds, all palliative care, quite outdated, and in desperate need of a make over. Well, nearly 20 years later it's still in operation, however, if they were to finally follow through with the original decision to sell, the hospital combined with the parking lot, would make a huge chunk of land to build pretty much what ever you wanted to. I don't like going on rumors, but a friend of mine is still a nurse there. They have been told to expect massive lay offs this year or next, with the prospects of demolishing the hospital, and, thanks to an apparently over egar builder, create, what she's been told, a massive tower. She swears that's all she knows, I suspect she knows more since her hubby is an architect that may be working on this project that doesn't really exsist! Haven't talked to her in ages, think I'll give her a call. If I hear anything, I promise you, you'll be the first to know! (fingers crossed, it's an ideal location, on the Bloor subway line, far enough away from other tall towers except One Bloor, and if they attempt a supertall, the intersection already has towers on all corners, with condos on both sides of Bloor all the way to Yonge, so they can't use shadowing as an excuse not to build it! I've always felt that to be a pathetic excuse not to build tall, if it was in the burbs I could understand, but in the downtown core? This is the same city council that allowed condos to literally block our views of the lake, right up to the shore, but won't allow 50 Bloor to move forward because of "shadowing" in an area surrounded by tall towers? I just don't understand the logic, or lack thereof! Ill keep you posted, but please, if you hear anything about the Church and Bloor lot, let us know, thanks!

I really hope the North-West and South-West corners of Bay/College get demolished/redeveloped in the next few years. a supertall would look great at those locations imo, esp with Aura in the neighbourhood

Last edited:
I really hope the North-West and South-West corners of Yonge/College get demolished/redeveloped in the next few years. a supertall would look great at those locations imo, esp with Aura in the neighbourhood

What???
The SW corner of Yonge/College is College Park. Why on earth would anyone want to demolish that building? And the NW corner should not be demolished either.

Ah yes, those are eysores. I live at the Met and everytime i pass by that corner i'm always hoping i see a redevelopment sign.

Ok, as a couple of other posters have mentioned, I think that a logical place for a near supertall is where tower 2 of First Canadian Place was supposed to go -- you know, it was supposed to be a twin towered development ( ah, just feeling a bit mischievious this afternoon ). I do mean that this would replace the TSX building, which is a mere stub of what it was supposed to be.

Interesting. Didn't realize First Canadian Place was originally to be a 2-part'er.

Why so short? Why are they not able to build taller there?

170m for Bloor & Church isnt exactly short. They aren't able to build taller because of zoning bylaws. These bylaws can always be revised or voted down, or in some cases bought off, but they exist for many reasons.

As for Bay street, sure, what the heck, it's already a row of tall towers, what's one more? Lol!

There are no towers taller than 160 meters in height anywhere on Bay north of Queen....so I don't see why a 300+ meter tower at Bay and College is a "sure, what the heck" scenario

It seems a lot of your posts are either facetious or at the very least unfounded thoughts of optimism/speculation...genuinely not trying to be rude, your post just confused me enough to make me check your other posts...

It seems a lot of your posts are either facetious or at the very least unfounded thoughts of optimism/speculation...genuinely not trying to be rude, your post just confused me enough to make me check your other posts...[/QUOTE]

As I have stated in my previous posts, I'm a medical professional, not an architectural one, the only reason I have joined this site is because of my interest in tall towers and this city. I have absolutely no knowledge of the intricacies of how or where a tower goes from the computer screen to the finished product. I was hoping, in a way, I'd be able to learn more about it on this site, and if, along the way, I choose to comment, I'm not expecting a critique, moreover, a friendly reply. I'm sure I am not the only one here in the same boat, so please, if you don't like or disagree with something I, or another member, has said, keep the negative comments to yourself, and simply state what you believe. As for the towers on Bay Street, honestly, how many others, aside from yourself, would actually know the height of the towers? But now that we are on the topic, where, exactly, would you place a supertall in the downtown core? If your arguement is it has to fit in with the neighboring buildings, there is only one are that comes close, the podium of First Canadian Place. Anywhere else a supertall would stick out. I've spoken with councilor Wong-Tam about this, the biggest concerns for her and her fellow councilmen are,

1. Nothing close to our beloved CN Tower, they want nothing obstructing the view of our cities most famous building.
2. Shadowing, they don't want a supertall blocking out the sun over an entire neighbourhood.
3. Area beautification, they insist that any structure, short or tall, add to the ascetics of the area it is built in.

So where does that leave us? Unless its built outside the downtown core, it will be a very long time, if ever, that we will see a supertall, such a shame. I am very proud of living here. I was born and will brobably die here, during my time I've watch Toronto grow from but a few tall towers to a sea of them. I've always believed, if you're going to do something, do the very best. We've lost our claim to the worlds tallest structure, so wouldn't it be wonderful if we could claim, at the very least, having the tallest skyscraper in all the Americas?

Back