News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Stunning Muskoka Golf course (Deerhurst resort)

Wow, the ignorance displayed on this thread is incredible. Do you guys think that Jon Daly is the only golfer on the PGA? Do you realize that if you lined up the top 50 money earners on the PGA tour less than 5 would qualify as overweight? Do you realize that Tiger Woods probably has a more impressive physique than anyone in the NHL?

I'd rather hang out with a group of NIMBY's than some of the narrow-minded ignorant folk here. There's no harder sport to play consistantly well than golf, for those of us who golf.. that's a big part of what keeps us coming back.

I'm all out of reynold's wrap though, sorry guys...

Do you realize that Tiger Woods probably has a more impressive physique than anyone in the NHL?

No, I didn't realize that - maybe because I've never seen him as the focus of any discussions of physique or fitness (which, by the way, is common for baseball, hockey, and soccer players).

I used to buy fitness magazines monthly and distinctly remember an article in one of them on golfer Mark O'Meara. It included his workout routine, and as these magazines always emphasize physique photos, was accompanied by step-by-step pictures of the cardio and weight exercises being demonstrated. I remember it distinctly because:
1) I had never seen a golfer in any of these magazines
2) I was thoroughly impressed with his physique - very lean and muscular.

It was months or maybe years later that I saw Mark O'Meara on a televised golf tournament and realized the pictures in the fitness magazine were not of him, but of a fitness model demonstrating his routine...

Everyone who is bad mouthing golf needs to play 18 holes of golf carrying their clubs around. You'd all be dragging your asses by the 9th hole.

BTW the golf swing is an extremly complex motion and it takes alot of ability to do it properly. There are probably more brutal golfers than in any other sport because it is so difficult. This forum is extremly narrow-minded on alot of issues so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Perhaps those in here ought to channel their "inner Scotsman" to properly appreciate golf----and heck, it's not like it's the only sport certain of UT's denizens might find perplexing. The dominant UT tenor is artsie, not jock, after all.

Ultimately, I guess, the problem certain folk have w/golf is more socio-cultural; that is, as a sport associated with the vulgar rich gated-community class, the pasty affluent straight conservative white males out there (Tiger Woods notwithstanding). And those golf courses tend to look horrendously artificial and loaded w/pesticides and other horrors. I mean, if I may channel the oppositional mindset beholding this, what kind of utterly DEAD BORING MEDIOCRE individuals (and probably lousy lays) are these golf fanatics? It's like viewing c18 Georgian, or early c20 neo-Georgian, through the prism of a modern-day overscaled McMansion. Ick. Ick. Ick. Enough to turn *any* aesthetically sensitive non-converts off for keeps.

Though in that light, there's the paradox of women's golf, with its longstanding reputation as a fulcrum for the, er, "Anne Murray crowd" out there. (Then again--as w/Annie herself, physically, musically--it may be more like a drag-king rendition of the aforementioned pastiness...)

My cottage is right on that golf course. I play the 3 holes around my cottage during the evenings. It's such a gorgeous setting. In front of us side we have the lake and the golf course all around us.

I'm not interested in golf... never played it and probably never will. But really, the snooty anti-golf comments are just silly.

Mine is more of a metacomment on snooty anti-golf comments, though...

Maybe there are other ways to liven up the game
HarryLuceyBandVgolfing400.jpg

Back