News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Stunning Muskoka Golf course (Deerhurst resort)

W

wonderboy905

As a fairly avid golfer (once per week) I couldn't turn down an invitation to go play the Deerhurst Highlands course on Saturday for a mere $30 (regular price of admission is $160). The 4 hour long weekend traffic didn't phaze us as we embarked on a journey to play one of the top courses in the country and the crown jewel of an excellent crop of Muskoka courses which is quickly being recognized (along with the Niagara region) as one of golf's top tourist destinations. I took my camera along for the trip and thought I'd share some pics from the course (I wish I had got some pics of downtown Huntsville afterwards). The course was quite difficult, I shot a 96 (legit, no mully's or any of that nonsense) - I usually shoot mid 80's - low 90's.

The stunning first tee, there couldn't be a more fitting backdrop considering where we were:
13.jpg

A beautiful par 3:
12.jpg

I found it quite odd that the course featured 3 links style holes, you had to go under the highway to get to them. They truly didn't fit in with the rest of the course but that's ok seeing how they were FANTASTIC.
11.jpg

10.jpg

I had this knee-knocker from about 190 yards, I was able to fly the water and bounced it off the green into the first cut.
9.jpg

Birdie putts for myself and Kevin:
8.jpg

The Muskoka chairs are a great touch:
7.jpg

I probably shouldn't have included the chopped up tee-box in this shot:
6.jpg

A truly stunning hole, much better than the elevated tee-shot at the abby:
5.jpg

Another stunning par 3:
3.jpg

1.jpg

That's it, an absolutely beautiful course. Not as flashy as some of the other Muskoka jewel's (Bigwin, Taboo, Rocky Crest, The Rock, GrandView) but one round is all it takes to remind you why this is regarded as the best there is. My Rounds on Sunday and Monday (Deerfeild in Oakville & Carlisle in Flamborough) certainly paled in comparison (despite my much better scores there).

wonderboy: Nice pictures, thank you! And congrats on your good score.

andrea: I take a back seat to few when it comes to environmentalism, but I beg to differ (or, at least, to fine-tune your rather sweeping comment). The problem with golf courses is that they typically consume a lot of water. This is a real problem in certain areas closer to Toronto, especially Halton where there are big concerns about the water table being depleted in some of our best farming country. This problem needs to be addressed. I don't think similar concerns are nearly as prominent in Muskoka, where there is little farming, much less population density than the GTA, and most of all a good water supply nearby.

Deerhurst and similar places generate significant economic activity in an area that can really use it.

Thanks ganjavih, that first view alone made it worth the trip.

Ugh - what an environmental nightmare golf is.

Ugh, what a narrow minded uneducated viewpoint.

www.randa.org/pdfs/the%20ecology%20of%20golf%20courses.pdf

I've played countless courses that have gone to great lengths to protect environmentally sensative areas (that would have otherwise been bulldozed by developers). They can be wonderful for wildlife as well, I've come across many deer, foxes, rabbits and rare species of birds that all make various golf courses their home. A lot of these courses are in Oakville, Burlington and Hamilton where they would most certainly have dissapeared if it weren't for the efforts of the course owners. Golf courses also tend to preserve a lot of the natural beauty an area can have. Their use of chemicals and pesticides has dropped dramatically in recent years and many of them really limit the amount of water they use as well, if you were to cover a golf course with average suburban homes you'd have a much, MUCH worse "environmental nightmare".

*** edit ***

Observer Walt, thanks! (you got your post in just as I was typing mine). You're right about the water, but to keep their own costs down many of them have really been limiting their overall water use lately. You're right about the economic activity generated. People are flying in from all over the world to play the Muskoka's and Niagara courses, they truly are world class. The added jobs and economic activity is tremendously positive (many of them are full resorts that offer much more than just golf).

I'm with you andreapalladio. I don't get the "beauty of a golf course" idea. I'd much rather see the same area in it's natural form before a bunch of engineers moved in with bulldozers, irrigation systems, non-native grasses and white sand bunkers.

To each his own, they say.

Not to mention the fact that they all drive to be their in their completly manufactured, over fertilized, over pesticided, over watered landscape. And then switch to other vehicles to drive around some more.

Wonderboy, OF COURSE the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews thinks golf is environmentally friendly. They would, wouldn't they? ExxonMobil thinks oil is environmentally friendly too.

I can't see how an activity where you don't even work up a sweat can be classified as a sport.

I can't see how an activity where you don't even work up a sweat can be classified as a sport.

You have obviously never played a full round of eighteen in 30+ degree weather. Golf is a lot like bowling, one relies mostly on skill, but without superior physical conditioning you'll be a mess come sunday afternoon when you have to be in peak shape. Walk the course with your clubs on your back and you'll be in for quite a work out. Stating that golf is an "activity" and not a sport demonstrates a sheer lack of ignorance towards both golf and sport in general. It's amazing how many people who don't play a sport like baseball or hockey can be indifferent towards it, yet when people don't play golf there seems to be massive hatred, where it comes from I don't know. People just seem really insecure about it. It's one of those sports that you truly have to appreciate to enjoy and it will take years just to get to that. Don't hate on something you won't ever understand.

I don't hate it. It's just that the logic of hitting a little ball all day long in order to make it fall into a lot of little holes escapes me.

It's one of those sports that you truly have to appreciate to enjoy and it will take years just to get to that.

Can you play with your tinfoil hat on your head?

Can you play with your tinfoil hat on your head?

umm... There's a reason why people spend more time playing and invest more in golf than any other sport. Of course the less ignorant jerks there are on the courses the better.

Apparently there is no limit on whacked out conspiracy theorists though.

It's amazing how many people who don't play a sport like baseball or hockey can be indifferent towards it, yet when people don't play golf there seems to be massive hatred, where it comes from I don't know.

This comes up often as you note, but I wouldn't call it "hatred".

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the "athletes" often display a generous amount of bodyfat, particularly around the midsection, which is something you also see frequently in bowling.

I agree that golfing takes unique skills, but you can't speak of the players' physical conditioning in the same breath as you discuss that of hockey or baseball players.

Other than golf, darts, and sumo wrestling, I can't think of many other "sports" where endomorphs stand much of a chance.

Back