News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Streaming consolidator needed?

I’ve subscribed to Britbox. By far the best streaming service so far.
I subscribed to it for a few months after they pulled a lot of the BBC content off netflix and prime. I have a bit of a weakness for british crime dramas.

I cancelled my subscription on the last cycle which ended about April 9th. I may go back, but I felt like taking at least a month off because I had run out of interesting new content, or shows that I wanted to rewatch.
They immediately started sending an email every single day asking me to come back, but they haven't offered any discounts.

I cancelled Spotify last year in the summer and after only one week they sent me an offer for three months for the price of one. Then I did it again back in March this year and they sent me the same offer again after about two weeks. So Spotify I've had about 50% off for the past 12 months, which is about right for me since more than half of what I use it for is to access podcasts which have native ads in them.

I find Netflix has been going downhill with the programming for a while now. My brother has a subscription that I share, but I've been advising him to cancel since it's been so seemingly underused.

My cousin got Disney+ on a 1-year free trial from his parents' Rogers service upgrade or something, and I've been using it to binge on old seasons of The Amazing Race. It's also got a lot of Marvel movies which I'm trying to catch up on the ones I haven't seen before.

Tbh, I'm not a huge follower of shows. I don't even pay for Prime, I just wait every 3 or 4 months for Amazon to offer the next 1-month trial to batch order on household goods to be delivered and watch Prime Video. They have an okay selection, but really add too many new things. I just use it to re-watch the old Canadian made travel series called Departures.

Last edited:
I find Netflix has been going downhill with the programming for a while now. My brother has a subscription that I share, but I've been advising him to cancel since it's been so seemingly underused.
Just canceled Netflix. I’ve been on it since 2019, but there’s just nothing on and with inflation I can’t justify the $220 a year for the multi user account, sorry kids at uni. Whereas on Disney Plus I’m watching some interesting shows.

Amazon Prime might be next to go, though it’s my main source for background music when working. I just don’t buy enough stuff to need the free Shipping.

Just canceled Netflix. I’ve been on it since 2019, but there’s just nothing on and with inflation I can’t justify the $220 a year for the multi user account, sorry kids at uni. Whereas on Disney Plus I’m watching some interesting shows.

Amazon Prime might be next to go, though it’s my main source for background music when working. I just don’t buy enough stuff to need the free Shipping.

Same. Our (formerly shared) Netflix subscription is now officially cancelled for a couple months now. Disney+ is still good and have some other interesting travel and adventure shows by National Geographic. Although they have quietly removed the Amazing Race from their offering at the beginning of this month which irks me a bit.

I have Disney+, Crave, Apple+ and Prime, but I dropped Netflix recently. It is getting expensive, but then again I don't have cable: I cancelled it 15 years ago. Whenever I try to watch regular TV, either in an Airbnb or at a hotel, I last no more than 10 minutes. I have become allergic to commercials. Once a friend who invited me to dinner had it on; I told him, please turn that off before my head explodes.

I have Apple+ as part of Apple One - I got also gotten Crave for two months just so that I can watch the new Trek shows. I suspect that will be my subscription pattern - and frankly I have a deep distrust against streaming vs. physical media (and the Rogers outage just confirmed it).

AoD

Canceled Britbox too. Once more seasons of Shetland come on I’ll reconsider.
Just finished Season 5, all on dvd. There's something about the geography that I find fascinating. The missus (and me sometimes) needs closed captioning. Uk crime shows are a refreshing change from US fare.

Just finished Season 5, all on dvd. There's something about the geography that I find fascinating. The missus (and me sometimes) needs closed captioning. Uk crime shows are a refreshing change from US fare.
Born in the UK. No help. Need subtitles throughout the series. Though the tele-typists gets it wrong themselves - I can imagine them asking, what the heck did he say?

US crime dramas are unwatchable.

If you liked Shetland, I thought Traces was decent. I liked Taboo, too but that's a period piece (with some liberties).

Born in the UK. No help. Need subtitles throughout the series. Though the tele-typists gets it wrong themselves - I can imagine them asking, what the heck did he say?

Because of the wife's hearing we use CC on occasion. They all miss some and I just assumed it was automated. At least it's better than the robo-voice they use with the national alert system.

US crime dramas are unwatchable.

If you liked Shetland, I thought Traces was decent. I liked Taboo, too but that's a period piece (with some liberties).
The Brits do crime dramas like no one else. Though the Shetland Islands must have a per capita murder rate equal to Tijuana.

I'll look for Traces, but I've today just canceled Prime. I find that most things I order offer free shipping even without Prime, and for background tunes I can run YouTube with Adblock. When Ms. Mazel comes back I'll renew temporarily.

By canceling Netflix, Britbox and Prime I've just saved myself $400 of after tax income, or at least $600 of before tax income. If you're making a hypothetical $100k that's a greater than 0.5 % savings. That's where these micro charges can make a big difference. I changed my motorcycle insurance and saved $10 a month - that's $120 a year. It all adds up.

Last edited:
The Brits do crime dramas like no one else. Though the Shetland Islands must have a per capita murder rate equal to Tijuana.
I liked Longmire, too. However, it did stretch credulity how much murder and mayhem was happening in a sparsely populated rural county in Montana.

Back