831     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.8K     2 

Streaming consolidator needed?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There’s too many streaming sites, https://techdaily.ca/streaming-services-canada/#stream. I have Netflix, Disney+ and Prime. Now shows I want are on AppleTV, BritBox, and this new Discovery+.

Is there a service that consolidates all these streaming providers into one package? There has to be a business opportunity here.

I miss cable TV of old, before it was all reality shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
We have none but our son-in-law is a network techy and said that when streaming started there were all sorts of pay-for platforms which drove up piracy, then they industry consolidated down to a few, and piracy went down, now it's going back up. They were actually streaming some UK platform for a while for free (don't ask) but the time shift was weird. They limit themselves to three and move back and forth depending on the offerings.

We have none but our son-in-law is a network techy and said that when streaming started there were all sorts of pay-for platforms which drove up piracy, then they industry consolidated down to a few, and piracy went down, now it's going back up. They were actually streaming some UK platform for a while for free (don't ask) but the time shift was weird. They limit themselves to three and move back and forth depending on the offerings.

No wonder piracy is going up. Streaming is getting expensive! When things get back to normal, i plan on getting rid of some of my paid streaming sites. I may keep Prime or Netflix. That's all i need. I find YouTube has more interesting content and it's free. I watch mostly city walk troughs, architecture and neighborhood tours from around the world. Which i find more interesting than most movies or TV series.

I’m old school (watch sports and have young kids) so I have a rogers bundle with ignite TV. I actually like the consolidated in-system apps so (at home at least) all the content is available in one simple voice activated contol. It doesn’t help on price but it’s just easier to just say what you want to watch and not care what platform it’s on.

I actually held out on disney+ because comcast (which makes the tech) doesn’t have an app for it yet. Gave in this holiday though. I kind of hate watching it on devices though and my tv’s aren’t new generation smart tv’s so I can’t cast it. I’m plugging in devices from a dangling hdmi cable.

Don't forget about the various Reddit sports streams (almost all of which are pirated), which are being shut down for copyright infringement. Many rely on Reddit sports streams as they are free. Even some bars and restaurants used Reddit sports streams.

If legitimate sports streams were much more affordable, there would be less demand for pirated sports streams.

I find YouTube has more interesting content and it's free. I watch mostly city walk troughs, architecture and neighborhood tours from around the world. Which i find more interesting than most movies or TV series.
YouTube I like, but not through my Roku or Fibe boxes as I can‘t run Adblock. Once you have Adblock for Youtube on your iPad or pc you just can’t go back.

I also pay for a video pass for World SBK racing, which isn’t cheap, about $130 a year. However best I can tell there’s no way to watch via my Roku or Fibe box, so it’s hdmi cable from laptop to tv.

Last edited:
For YT, you can get ad free youtube premium for $12/month, and includes access to streaming music.

I got to say that the one thing that I was looking forward to by the time 2020 (err 2021) came around was the advancements in streaming, especially sports streaming. Suffice to say, I think 2005-2010 me would be very disappointed in how little progress has been made in this department.

I currently have Netflix and Prime and am resisting Disney+ though it is admittedly an enticing offer. I think the Americans get a great deal with their Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ bundle for $12.99 a month. I wish we had something equivalent to that here in Canada.

I watch a lot of sports, and I am tired of fighting dodgy streams. The next subscription service that I add will likely be DAZN.

====

By the way, if you guys still have access to your university emails, you can easily switch to the cheaper student plan on Spotify. They don't verify if you are a current or part-time student.

Note the difference between YouTube Premium and YouTube TV. The former allows for ad-free video streaming and music streaming. The latter includes many local television channels.

The latter isn't legally available in Canada yet.

@WislaHD

I too am tired of jumping between dodgy (but free) sports streams found on Reddit. I would happily subscribe to an affordable legal sports streaming service that broadcast Toronto-based teams.

The thing with streaming services I find though is there is just not quite a high enough threshold of desirable content to keep me from cancelling.

I’m enjoying The Expanse but the only reason we have Prime Video is because of my wife’s Prime membership.

The only reason I haven’t cancelled Netflix is because my kids have to watch amazing content like Barbie’s Dolphine Adventure again, and again, and again.

The only reason I got Disney+ is because it’s the winter and a pandemic lockdown. I’ll likely cancel in the spring.

It’s not that there isn’t great original content to see it’s that I don’t see why I would want to retain these service for more than a few months a year?

I’m enjoying The Expanse but the only reason we have Prime Video is because of my wife’s Prime membership.

I‘m beginning to question why I have a Prime membership. I thought it was for free shipping, but almost every time I buy something on Amazon there’s another free shipping option to click, often with faster delivery than Prime. See example, attached.

E4C44483-1674-4070-A67C-CD4C4BD518CE.png

You get free shipping on Amazon.ca for orders over $35, prime or not. They prioritize prime shipments over non-prime, but prime does not guarantee you fast delivery.

Netflix may ban shared accounts after losing 200K subscribers

April 19, 2022

Netflix suffered its first subscriber loss in more than a decade, causing its shares to plunge 25% in extended trading amid concerns that the pioneering streaming service may have already seen its best days.
70c8fc80

The company’s customer base fell by 200,000 subscribers during the January-March period, according to its quarterly earnings report released Tuesday. It’s the first time that Netflix’s subscribers have fallen since the streaming service became available throughout most of the world outside of China six years ago. The drop this year stemmed in part from Netflix’s decision to withdraw from Russia to protest the war against Ukraine, resulting in a loss of 700,000 subscribers.

Netflix acknowledged its problems are deep rooted by projecting a loss of another 2 million subscribers during the April-June period.

If the stock drop extends into Wednesday’s regular trading session, Netflix shares will have lost more than half of their value so far this year – wiping out about $150 billion in shareholder wealth in less than four months.

Netflix is hoping to reverse the tide by taking steps it has previously resisted, including blocking the sharing of accounts and introducing a lower-priced – and ad-supported – version of its service.

Netflix may ban shared accounts after losing 200K subscribers

April 19, 2022
I cancelled my subscription on the last cycle which ended about April 9th. I may go back, but I felt like taking at least a month off because I had run out of interesting new content, or shows that I wanted to rewatch.
They immediately started sending an email every single day asking me to come back, but they haven't offered any discounts.

I cancelled Spotify last year in the summer and after only one week they sent me an offer for three months for the price of one. Then I did it again back in March this year and they sent me the same offer again after about two weeks. So Spotify I've had about 50% off for the past 12 months, which is about right for me since more than half of what I use it for is to access podcasts which have native ads in them.

Back