News   Jul 30, 2024
 339     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 464     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Still a lot of ignorance from the downtowners re: T.O?

I can't remember where I heard someone in the media refer to something in the "west end" and the story was about something in Mississauga. It was probably either on 680 News, 99.1 CBC Radio One, or CP24.

It's all about context. If I'm talking to people in a downtown context, I'd never say that I live downtown (in Upper Beach). If I'm talking to people elsewhere in Toronto, I or them more likely to refer to where I live as downtown.

Also for example, when I was overseas and lived in Kitchener, I was more likely to tell people I was near or in Toronto than I was in Kitchener ... as it wouldn't give them any frame of reference. But if I was in Kitchener ... well I told them I lived in Waterloo.

It's all about context. If I'm talking to people in a downtown context, I'd never say that I live downtown (in Upper Beach). If I'm talking to people elsewhere in Toronto, I or them more likely to refer to where I live as downtown.

Also for example, when I was overseas and lived in Kitchener, I was more likely to tell people I was near or in Toronto than I was in Kitchener ... as it wouldn't give them any frame of reference. But if I was in Kitchener ... well I told them I lived in Waterloo.

Similarly-- friends outside the GTA all consider me to be living "in Toronto."

Those within the GTA use "Ajax."

A friend in Niagara complained about all the traffic in "Downtown Toronto". When I asked him to specify where in "Downtown Toronto" all this traffic was, he said "Mississauga".

Last edited:

Wouldn't "I live in the Upper Beach" be suffice to most Torontonians?

Listening to CBC Radio One's traffic report and they reported that the 401 was busy in the west end at Hurontario Street (obviously in Mississauga). I heard this yesterday I think it was. If CBC calls Mississauga the "west end", then it must be true because the CBC cannot lie.

I think we need to face facts...

-the GTA is now 'Toronto'
-Toronto is 'Toronto-Toronto'
-Old Toronto is 'Downtown Toronto'
-Downtown is...come to think of it, I'm sure how 905ers refer to our actual downtown

-Toronto is 'Toronto-Toronto'
-Old Toronto is 'Downtown Toronto'
Not Toronto-Toronto-Toronto?

Does that make the old part of downtown near Parliament and King - Toronto-Toronto-Toronto-Toronto?

Listening to CBC Radio One's traffic report and they reported that the 401 was busy in the west end at Hurontario Street (obviously in Mississauga). I heard this yesterday I think it was. If CBC calls Mississauga the "west end", then it must be true because the CBC cannot lie.

I'll bet they never said the west end OF TORONTO, however.

Traffic reports generally cover the entire GTA.

Yes I've often heard the traffic news report something like "To the west on the 401 at Hurontario there are delays due to lane closures" but the traffic reports I listen to never call it "Toronto".

I expect that folks in Mississauga, Stouffville, Oshawa, Georgina etc. would take exception to that.

Back