News   Jul 23, 2024
 201     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 799     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 2K     0 

Still a lot of ignorance from the downtowners re: T.O?

p.s. I was refering to the article that was highlighting the cuts to the arts programs.

I'm going to have to play wait and see on that. Inflation isn't zero. Melanson might work out well if he isn't overstepped. Ford doesn't seem like the kind of person to let someone run with a task. He seems like the type of person to call a time-out and tell them what to do and if they don't carry out his will threaten them with being benched.

The Star edited the article to include the following:

This raises a major issue, one which was reflected by Ford’s election, during which the citizens of Toronto’s suburban areas carried him to victory, while downtown constituents mostly voted against him.

Typical ignorant downtowners.

Oh, please.

Ford isn't going to do anything to bridge the gap (and there is one) between suburbanites and Torontonians — I mean, downtowners. If anything, he's only going to make it worse. As for downtowners being ignorant about the suburbs, most of us (myself included) are from the suburbs (Scarborough in my case) which is why we moved downtown.

One wonders though if downtowners are often people from suburban or satellite / small town communities would our opinions not be tainted by a paradigm that reacts against what we rejected instead of advocating for that which we believe? If so than how could you expect to not get push back? The difference is you can be for say, cycling in our community, without being against people who do not cycle or live in places where this is not feasible.

As for downtowners being ignorant about the suburbs, most of us (myself included) are from the suburbs (Scarborough in my case) which is why we moved downtown.
Heh. I moved from downtown to Scarborough. Sick of the noise and the cramped condos. Downtown was fun, but it's not too easy to buy a detached home at King and John. ;) Then again, you CAN buy a semi-detached at King and Draper.

And yes, I was an ignorant downtowner, just cuz I didn't know any better. I'm not from Ontario, and came to Toronto and lived downtown for my job downtown.

Last edited:
One wonders though if downtowners are often people from suburban or satellite / small town communities would our opinions not be tainted by a paradigm that reacts against what we rejected instead of advocating for that which we believe? If so than how could you expect to not get push back? The difference is you can be for say, cycling in our community, without being against people who do not cycle or live in places where this is not feasible.

Exactly. Someone pointed out a while back that it seems a lot of people move to the city with a small town chip on their shoulder and feel the need to out-Toronto Torontonians. It's amusing as someone born and raised in the GTA to be criticized as a suburbanite by a segment of the "urban" population that probably hasn't even lived here for more than five years.

Exactly. Someone pointed out a while back that it seems a lot of people move to the city with a small town chip on their shoulder and feel the need to out-Toronto Torontonians. It's amusing as someone born and raised in the GTA to be criticized as a suburbanite by a segment of the "urban" population that probably hasn't even lived here for more than five years.

I don't know if it's so much a 'chip on the shoulder' thing. Maybe it's just that those are the people that actually opted-in to the Toronto urban lifestyle, rather than being defaulted into it by birth. They moved here with an idealistic vision of what city life should be, and subsequently may have certain expectations that don't necessarily align with reality.

It's great that we live in a city where you can 'choose' between an suburban or urban setting. I am not saying that the suburbs don't serve a purpose. They do. Many who live there like downtown, they just don't want to live here. That is fine. Just don't try altering it by turning it into another suburb. I don't go to the suburbs and demand that roadways be narrowed so sidewalks can be widened, or that speed bumps and traffic lights be installed to slow down traffic and be safer for pedestrians and bicyclists. The benefits of the one shouldn't impede on the benefits of the other.

I don't know if it's so much a 'chip on the shoulder' thing. Maybe it's just that those are the people that actually opted-in to the Toronto urban lifestyle, rather than being defaulted into it by birth. They moved here with an idealistic vision of what city life should be, and subsequently may have certain expectations that don't necessarily align with reality.

Same thing may be said, however, of those who chose to live in the suburbs; visions of white-picket fences and summer BBQs dancing in their heads. There are plus and minuses to living in either the 'burbs or downtown. Destroying the reasons why someone moved to either in order to appease the other is not a solution.

Heh. I moved from downtown to Scarborough. Sick of the noise and the cramped condos. Downtown was fun, but it's not too easy to buy a detached home at King and John. ;) Then again, you CAN buy a semi-detached at King and Draper.

And yes, I was an ignorant downtowner, just cuz I didn't know any better. I'm not from Ontario, and came to Toronto and lived downtown for my job downtown.

Buying a house (unless your totally loaded) is only possible really in the 'burbs (not so much with a condo; they're the same price downtown as they are in the 'burbs). It's a lifestyle choice.

But, as ignorant as some downtowners are of the 'burbs, suburbanites are just as ignorant of downtown. I usually hear about how dangerous it is downtown. What??? I feel much safer downtown than I EVER did in Scarborough.

Why is it always a downtown versus the suburbs dichotomy? Whatever happened to all those many walkable and vibrant neighbourhoods of houses, apartments (and sometimes condos and lofts) and commercial strips that are the middle ground between the intensity of downtown and the dull, lifelessness of suburbia? There are plenty of opportunities to buy houses there, and in some parts, people have realized this and house prices are rising. But not everywhere. These areas go from west of Bathurst to about Etobicoke, and in the east along streets like Queen and Danforth. There are also the pockets of small urban neighbourhoods that are the legacy of the former towns that got absorbed into post-World War II suburbs as well as the dense communities that developed at certain points along subway lines.

Why is it always a downtown versus the suburbs dichotomy? Whatever happened to all those many walkable and vibrant neighbourhoods of houses, apartments (and sometimes condos and lofts) and commercial strips that are the middle ground between the intensity of downtown and the dull, lifelessness of suburbia? There are plenty of opportunities to buy houses there, and in some parts, people have realized this and house prices are rising. But not everywhere. These areas go from west of Bathurst to about Etobicoke, and in the east along streets like Queen and Danforth. There are also the pockets of small urban neighbourhoods that are the legacy of the former towns that got absorbed into post-World War II suburbs as well as the dense communities that developed at certain points along subway lines.

Sometimes I think we should start using the term 'outer-city' rather than suburb to refer to former Metro Toronto. Even before 1998 these places were thought of as being part of the city. The municipalities adjacent to Toronto can be the new 'inner-suburbs' while further out places such as Oakville and Newmarket can be thought of as the new 'outer-suburbs.'

Last edited:
Buying a house (unless your totally loaded) is only possible really in the 'burbs (not so much with a condo; they're the same price downtown as they are in the 'burbs). It's a lifestyle choice.
? Condos and townhouses are a lot more expensive downtown. What are you talking about?

But, as ignorant as some downtowners are of the 'burbs, suburbanites are just as ignorant of downtown. I usually hear about how dangerous it is downtown. What??? I feel much safer downtown than I EVER did in Scarborough.
Where did you live in Scarborough? I'd have to say that many parts of downtown are a lot sketchier than where I live (which is in the Bluffs). The good part of downtown though is even if it's sketchy, you can feel safe in that there are lots of people around usually, so sketchiness may not be as problematic. If you're stuck in a sketchy area of Scarborough, you may be all alone with the sketchiness.

Anyways, pretty much every Scarberian or Etobicokan I've met has been to downtown multiple times and had a look around. I can't say the same thing about downtowners. I should know, as I was one of them.

Back