News   Jul 22, 2024
 223     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 991     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.2K     7 

State of Snow Clearing in Toronto for Non-Motorists

remember when it get really cold, you can throw 10 pounds of salt on a side walk and It wont do much.

Then the question is, who keeps open dirt in their house...

Toronto Sun is a joke, last winter they were saying how the city was spending to much money on Snow when there is no Snow.

IMO the city should spend more money on cleaning sidewalks but not on local streets.

Well, one could say the city plowers did get lazy over the last few winters. However, they should get their act together.

It seems reasonable that the city offer bags of salt to residents for use on sidewalks, free of charge. I doubt it would cost all that much relative to the improvement in sidewalk safety.

remember when it get really cold, you can throw 10 pounds of salt on a side walk and It wont do much.

Yeah. On Monday I was amused to be walking up the steps to the Math and Computer Building here at UW, on sheets of salt frozen into ice that looked like peanut brittle.

that's when you use calcium chloride.

Really who the hell keeps Calcium Chloride and Dirt in their House????

^ Well apparently they don't keep shovels in their houses either, or don't get around to using them! :mad:

A few fines to people who don't clear their sidewalks would be appropriate. It's bad enough for able people; I don't know what some disabled or elderly people do, they must be prisoners in their own homes.

Really I just don't like the idea of the city cleaning the entire sidewalk network. The city is not in a position especially financially to provide such a service. Why do they clean it Quebec City or Ottawa and not here, well of course were talking about a city controlled by the NDP and unions...

It would just mean even higher taxes and an even higher outrageous budget. It is already 8.1 billion.

If its turned to ice, you have waited too long to shovel and thats your fault.

Snow does not turn to ice unless it first melts and the water collects, then refreezes. The runoff gets trapped between snow on a lawn and the banks so kindly created by plows. Do you suggest people suck the water out with straws before it freezes up?

And as for "fault," who lives with the fault? The homeowner or all the people who subsequently use the sidewalks? Silly home owner may have to attend to things like work during the day. And pity the homeowner who lives on a corner.

The sidewalks are a public good on city property. They should clear them properly.

Really who the hell keeps Calcium Chloride and Dirt in their House????

i did. when i was able bodied, i kept calcium chloride and rock salt and had a salt spreader. it's expensive though. calcium chloride was like $40 a bag back then while twice the amount of rock salt was only $6. i did my whole property + the sidewalk & driveway apron. i made sure that every square foot of pavement was bare.

The sidewalks are a public good on city property. They should clear them properly.

Please you know you live in the city of Toronto...

I never use salt, and there is no ice on the sidewalk in front of my house. It's clear down to pavement. You just have to clear it early, rather than waiting all day with everyone walking on it. Here's a little trick - invariably I clean the sidewalk in front of my neighbour's house too. And invariably they clear mine ... no more work for either of us, and less trampled on snow before one of us gets to it.

thats wierd, I remember posting, but I doesnt seem to be here any more,
I had said in Calgary its against City By-Laws not to shovel in front of your house, perhaps Toronto should adopt the same. It would take some pressure off the sidewalk cleaners.

Snow does not turn to ice unless it first melts and the water collects, then refreezes. The runoff gets trapped between snow on a lawn and the banks so kindly created by plows. Do you suggest people suck the water out with straws before it freezes up?

And as for "fault," who lives with the fault? The homeowner or all the people who subsequently use the sidewalks? Silly home owner may have to attend to things like work during the day. And pity the homeowner who lives on a corner.

You do realize the city gives you certain rights to that property which they own, right? For example, if you have a driveway... you have to drive over the sidewalk to get to it. You also have to cross the sidewalk to get to your front door. The only thing the city expects in return is that you maintain it. If you have grass, cut it. If you have a sidewalk, shovel it. Would you rather they charge you for access and snow clearing? You are also aware that there is a sidewalk in front of your house when you purchase. It doesn't just appear out of nowhere one day during a snowfall. Cleaning the snow off it is something you agreed to do when purchasing the house, so it is the homeowners fault, not the people walking. Those who purchase homes on corner lots know exactly what they are getting into. You have 12 hours AFTER a snowfall to clear your sidewalk... a normal work day is no longer than 9 hours. Besides, we are complaining about sidewalks that are still snow covered DAYS after a snowfall... not a few hours.

And for the record... snow does turn into ice. It goes from snow, to slush which then freezes into ice. If you walk on snow long enough, it will turn into slush. If you have a problem with runoff freezing into ice, Canadian Tire does sell shovels with a metal blade on the bottom which helps lift and break the ice. Long handled ice scrapers are also sold.

thats wierd, I remember posting, but I doesnt seem to be here any more,

The site went down two days ago and everything posted during a 12 hour period was lost. That's where your previous post went.

With compression from countless feet walking over a section of snow, the snow will turn in to ice. It doesn't have to melt first.

The sections of uncleared sidewalk downtown are an inch-thick with ice polished to a slippery sheen by thousands of feet.

Back