News   Jul 25, 2024
 742     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 665     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 507     0 

Star: TTC row ends in charges, lawsuit

you really think an empty paper cup is a weapon?

it wasn't empty. it was mostly filled with nitrogen, probably around 78%.

I can only ask people to think about their reaction if the situation was reversed, with the passenger's hand around the driver's neck to the point of bruising.

I'd also add that there are crimes other than attempted murder. Assault (and aggravated assault) are also serious crimes.

The citizen's arrest (so to speak) excuse is BS too. He's not a cop. He should be using as minimal force as possible to detain the individual and if he can't contain the individual, he should have let her go and filed a police report. He decided to be a tough guy.

I think the reaction of the other witnesses, particularly the other gentleman who stepped in and threatened to engage the driver is telling. It would suggest that the witnesses thought the driver was using excessive force.

I can only ask people to think about their reaction if the situation was reversed, with the passenger's hand around the driver's neck to the point of bruising.
'

The driver would have stopped the vehicle, called transit control, who would have informed the police. The rest of the line would also be stopped (unless it's a bus) and charges would be pressed against the passenger, using the legislation designed to protect TTC drivers.

In my personal recent experience on the 501, eastbound:
If a passenger had punched another passenger, drawing blood. The driver would have let the assailant off the vehicle, and then locked the remaining passengers in the vehicle, while calling transit control and ignoring requests to open the doors. The assailant casually walks down the street knowing that nothing will come of this.

I hear a lot of people saying the TTC is like any other organization, there's always "a few bad apples" that give the rest a bad name. I'm tired of this standard disclaimer/acknowledgement when talking about TTC operators and collectors. As a heavy user of the system (several trips every day), I see poor behaviour and bad attitudes from TTC employees often enough that I know it's not just "a few bad apples". Yes, the TTC is not overrun with trolls, and there are some exceptionaly good employees and blah blah blah.... the TTC has more "bad apples" than any comparable organization I can think of. I don't encounter poor service as frequently from GO Transit operators or their ticket booth workers, in fact I wlmost never get surly service from them.

Frankly, I think TTC employees are giving apples a bad name.

Back