News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.1K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 710     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 704     1 

Star: Shopping wars: 'Screw it, I need some bags'

TO and surrounding area are ever growing but there are alot of things that need to change before this kind of thing would really happen. Specificly the government/union bs that keeps being battled out.

I don't think these things are really related. Setting standards doesn't cost anything in terms of gov't expenditures.

I agree that the unions need to be broken. I think the garbage contracts should go out to tender for the next round of negotiation.

I think your math is a bit off. They are 20 for $3.99 at CTC, or 20 cents. Not all that unreasonable. Same-size Glad bags are 11.5 cents.

Is it not worth the money when it comes to the enviroment though? One big thing though, everyone should own a compost... and every apt building/condo building should have a comunial one. They do the enviroment wonders.

I don't think these things are really related. Setting standards doesn't cost anything in terms of gov't expenditures.

I agree that the unions need to be broken. I think the garbage contracts should go out to tender for the next round of negotiation.

There are a lot of governmental practices that arn't company/investment friendly. There needs to be more incentive for the investment. I'm not sure what that whould really look like but once its in place TO could boom huge again.

What Toronto needs is to divorce itself of Ontario and cut corporate taxes to zero.

I don't understand why the stores don't shift from plastic to more easily recycled paper bags. I would hope that's the next step beyond charging for plastic bags. It would really help cut down on plastic.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Loblaws has discontinued paper bags. Their Zehrs stores (which is the name that Loblaws stores have in south-western Ontario) still have paper (or did a few months ago).

Every time I'm in Zehr's, standing there with nothing with me - and $200 of groceries ... I get asked the silly "Do you want plastic bags?" question. And each time I say "No, I want paper". They never know what to say ...

I don't understand why the stores don't shift from plastic to more easily recycled paper bags. I would hope that's the next step beyond charging for plastic bags. It would really help cut down on plastic.

Or paper bags you encourage people to use in greenbins.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Loblaws has discontinued paper bags. Their Zehrs stores (which is the name that Loblaws stores have in south-western Ontario) still have paper (or did a few months ago).

Every time I'm in Zehr's, standing there with nothing with me - and $200 of groceries ... I get asked the silly "Do you want plastic bags?" question. And each time I say "No, I want paper". They never know what to say ...

I used to shop at Zehrs and I never saw paper bags. Which store did you shop at?

If you want paper bags, they way to get it is to send feedback to retailers. I'm satisfied with reusable bags, myself.

Oh, most of them in the Kitchener-Waterloo-Guelph area over the years.

I did a bit of googling, and it appears that they only discontinued them in the last few months when they started charging for plastic.

What Toronto needs is to divorce itself of Ontario and cut corporate taxes to zero.

Like Quebec wants sot divorce Canada. Won't happen. Besides it would never work to make TO more financially stable. It would just work against you in the long run,

Well people haven't used paper bags main stream in forever. SO its no supprise for me when it shocks clerks. Once plastic came in most people switched,

It's a shame, as you can get so much more into a paper bag; though the newer Loblaws plastic ones have a bit more volume.

When you buy a sanwich at subway, they put it in a plastic bag, that is specifically designd to fit a sub. They don't charge for it though. Should they?

Back