494     0 

Star: Rick Ducharme Resigns from TTC

I

interchange42

TTC's Ducharme resigns
Jun. 6, 2006. 02:30 PM
KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

Rick Ducharme has tendered his resignation as chief general manager of the TTC, the Star has learned.
It is not clear whether the commission has accepted the resignation.

"I suppose he could resign, there will be more later," said Adam Giambrone, vice-chairman of the TTC.

"We haven't heard anything official yet," said Marilyn Bolton, spokeswoman for the TTC.

Ducharme was said by one source to be writing his letter to staff in the early afternoon.

Ducharme’s resignation comes as the TTC and its union are at odds over many issues. Workers went on a wildcat strike last week over shift changes imposed by the TTC. Drivers are upset at being assaulted when they challenge for fares and many employees are upset that they lose wages when they go on sick leave. Other city employees have their workers’ compensation packages bumped up.

Ducharme came to the Toronto Transit Commission in 1999, not long after the system had reached its lowest point.

Its reputation was still in a slump following a 1995 accident that killed two people and ridership was only 390 million annually (compared with 437 million rides projected for this year).

Ducharme came with a reputation at GO Transit for squeezing every last kilometre out of the system.

The professional engineer was as good as advertised, perhaps better. Ridership grew, service was tweaked to move buses where they were needed and local transit funding became provincial and national election issues thanks to TTC lobbying for a better deal.

New buses are being delivered this year and York University seems poised to get a subway stop.

Ducharme takes the TTC every day and likes to chat with operators and ticket agents. Sometimes with the media he talks too fast and trips over his words or mixes his metaphors but it’s straight talk. He says he cares deeply about moving people in the most efficient way possible.

His predecessor, David Gunn, left two years early. Gunn had called TTC management bloated. Ducharme, however, embraced the TTC’s management team. Ducharme said Gunn’s bullying style would have created a management of ‘yes-men’.

Ducharme wanted to hear ideas and kept most of the team intact.

He can also be quick to say when TTC service is not up to snuff, which often angers his political overlords, who often like to paint a rosy picture. But it gets their attention and Ducharme is often able to get results because of it.

It seems that problems at the TTC run a little deeper than we knew. Stay tuned.

Here's his resignation letter. He appears to be angry with certain commission members.

Resignation letter

I'd hate to have to chalk this victory to Kinnear.

the use of the apostrophe is pretty lame.. best reserved for use by 17 year old girls!!! oh my gawd!!!

Interesting that his letter mentions that he wanted to "work with all levels of government" and that his role was undermined. By that, do you think he means that he couldn't work with the non-commission councilors directly, or is he taking about working directly with the province and feds?

This kind of politics doesn't make me hopeful for the outlook of the GTTA.

From what I heard on CBC Radio this afternoon, Ducharme and Moscoe have "issues" and Ducharme wasn't a fan of how the weekend talks to avoid a second walkout went down.

Looks to me like a poison pill move - walk away from an un-winnable situation, but make sure you hand a victory to the enemy in an effort to take down your rival. Ducharme leaves the labour issues behind, but gives Kinnear a score that Ducarme's allies can use to take apart Moscoe in the press later.

I want to know who's Quimby and who's Wiggum.

Looks to me like a poison pill move - walk away from an un-winnable situation, but make sure you hand a victory to the enemy in an effort to take down your rival.

That's a very interesting assessment. Given that I'd like to see Moscoe gone almost as much as that asshole Kinnear, I'm thinking you may be on to something - I'll gladly replace Moscoe with Giambrone or Mihevc.

Strategic timing with his announcement of his resignation. It would have been more impact full if it were immediate. However, I’m relived that he will stay on until the fall of 2006, giving the city enough time to find a suitable replacement.

Also, I love Giambrone (and not because he is good looking) I sit on the CNE board with him, and always have great conversations and insight from him. The Star ran a positive review of his performance this weekend in today's paper.

Louroz

positive review of his performance this weekend
More style than substance. What has he done to deserve such praise?... bike racks on some buses and a wildcat strike as a TTC commissioner. He must be a real smooth talker to fool a smart guy like you FM.
Ducharme resignation is a huge black eye for the TTC. What person would want that job dealing with the likes of Moscoe, Gambrone, Mihevic and Kinnear.
:(

Manager ends great career with juvenile temper tantrum
John Barber
676 words
7 June 2006
The Globe and Mail
A13
English
All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.
Everybody knows that the player who tips the board and stomps away in anger loses the game. So TTC chief general manager Rick Ducharme, who yesterday ended a tremendous career in public service with a juvenile temper tantrum, is clearly the biggest loser in Toronto today.

The best evidence that the hard-headed engineer temporarily abandoned his normally impeccable good sense is the fact that, while resigning in anger over what he called “political interference,†he attempted to dictate a distant retirement date — Nov. 30. The cruel fact is that if he does show up at today's emergency TTC meeting called to find a successor, he won't be asked to hang around. “I think in the circumstances that's not possible,†Mayor David Miller said yesterday.

As Mr. Ducharme's own letter declared, in excited italics, “the game is over!â€

But the player who tips the board does not surrender everything. He gets to make other losers, among whom the mayor is the one who will suffer longest from this fiasco. But the biggest loser also makes the biggest winner. By surrendering so dramatically, Mr. Ducharme has congratulated Bob Kinnear, president, Local 113 Amalgamated Transit Union, for the ultimate triumph of last week's illegal strike.

Because he refused to return any calls yesterday, even from commissioners, Mr. Ducharme forces us to interpret his message. It's pretty simple. You win, his resignation says to his union adversary, and I lose — and I refuse to play any game in which a bunch of union-loving politicos keeps tilting the board in your favour, even when you cheat.

The message is a powerful indictment of TTC chairman Howard Moscoe and vice-chairman Adam Giambrone, both of whom have attempted to mollify Local 113 while condemning the strike that shut down Toronto for a day last week and threatened to recur.

But what does anybody expect from Mr. Moscoe? Mr. Ducharme is the third TTC chief Mr. Moscoe has interfered into a dither, two of whom have left as a result. Most damage will accrue to the mayor, always vulnerable because of his union ties, whose critics, not unfairly, will now accuse him of compromising the public interest in the face of blatantly illegal union pressure.

(Nobody complained last fall when he caved in the face of gun-toting police, but that's another story.)

Luckily for Mr. Miller and his two colleagues, Mr. Ducharme's losing strategy allowed them to occupy the high ground yesterday as they stood shoulder to shoulder, regretting the unfortunate turn of events. The mayor expressed confidence in his meddlesome commissioners, saying that meddling is their job. And immediately afterward, Mr. Giambrone's staff asked other commissioners to sign a letter demanding Mr. Ducharme vacate his office immediately.

That may be ugly, but it's fair game in the circumstances. Mr. Ducharme offered no warning about his decision to either the mayor or the chair, and declined to return calls from either Mr. Moscoe or Mr. Giambrone once the TTC published his letter “to all TTC employees†yesterday afternoon. He hasn't talked to the mayor since Friday. His was not a classy exit.

But it still makes the point. Whoever was responsible — and the public will decide for itself — this latest blow-up shows just how much clout organized labour has in this city under our NDP mayor. Even wildcat strikes work.

Presumably Mr. Kinnear is satisfied with the sight of his chief adversary's head on a platter. But how long will it be before another union head attempts the same winning strategy? Although the mayor redoubled his indignation about last week's wildcat strike when asked yesterday, he clearly lost it — and Rick Ducharme made sure that everybody knows.

Correction

A column last month incorrectly stated that former mayor John Sewell took photographers along on his trip to a sex show in Amsterdam in 1980. In fact, Mr. Sewell made the visit alone.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

A column last month incorrectly stated that former mayor John Sewell took photographers along on his trip to a sex show in Amsterdam in 1980. In fact, Mr. Sewell made the visit alone.

John, you horny bastard.

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs...8332188492

Why does everyone leave except politicians?
Jun. 7, 2006. 05:54 AM
ROYSON JAMES

The last three transit bosses have left the TTC's Davisville headquarters muttering about political interference. Al Leach left to become a politician himself, calling his overseers "a bunch of clowns." David Gunn couldn't stomach TTC chair Howard Moscoe another day and is off splitting wood in Cape Breton. Now, Rick Ducharme has declared "the game is over."

Good transit men, all, with superb talents — except the one essential ingredient to survive in the madhouse atmosphere brewed by Toronto city council. Ducharme, like his predecessors, was not prepared any longer to tolerate the constant, unrelenting meddling from the likes of chairman Moscoe.

The only ones who never seem to leave are the politicians, the ones who are supposedly accountable for running the system into the ground.

It is the politicians who are accountable, so they should, in effect, meddle, Mayor David Miller said yesterday. He said it in politically correct legalese but that's what it meant. But, if that is so, why didn't Moscoe lose his job over the wildcat strike last week?

When funding is chopped and maintenance lags, city councillors refuse to accept blame.

When ridership falls precipitously, the councillors point to the economy.

When they push up fares twice in one year, they deflect blame.

When workers go out on an illegal strike and the political watchdogs are caught napping, seemingly oblivious to the risk, and uttering not so much as a yelp of warning to unsuspecting commuters, it is not the politicians' fault. Blame it on management.

For no matter how Miller and Moscoe and vice chair Adam Giambrone spin this one, the public sees through it.

Three entities were responsible for the deteriorating labour relations that exploded into a one-day strike — the union, management and the political masters. Guess who's to blame?

Miller is seeking legal action against the union; Ducharme, blamed privately and publicly, if you read between the lines, walked the plank yesterday. Moscoe? Don't be silly.

Whatever the legal outcome of the action against Bob Kinnear, the union chief wins. The renegade union throws the city into chaos, and it is Ducharme who must fall on his sword.

And if you didn't get it, listen to Kinnear welcome the new era of wonderful labour relations now that Ducharme has left.

Instead of admitting they consider Ducharme an obstacle to improved labour relations, Moscoe, Giambrone and Miller appeared at a news conference in a poor dissembling job.

First, solemn tones and faint praise, followed by the vicious twisting of the knife, showing their true assassin character.

"I regret that we're going to lose the expertise of Rick Ducharme. He was somebody who was very qualified, very competent, worked very hard," said Miller yesterday.

So what, then, will be the impact on the TTC when Ducharme leaves with his seven years experience as head of the TTC and 35 years in the transit business?

"I don't believe it will have any," Miller said, his true feelings showing. "The TTC is a superb transit system."

And, in case you were wondering if he really meant the system practically runs itself, he said about Ducharme's successor: "The next one will be equally as capable."

Imagine working for these guys.

Ducharme is not a saint. He's a tough-talking, straight shooter. He speaks his mind. Above everything, he tells the truth as he sees it.

Moscoe is good transit advocate. But he can't help himself. If a bus deal or subway order is to be negotiated he can't help but get involved, to the chagrin of a manager. Once David Gunn almost quit because Moscoe interfered in contract negotiations. Another time, Moscoe announced to the union that the city has a little more it can give in contract talks.

When Kinnear couldn't have his way with Ducharme he appealed to the politicians directly and Moscoe scheduled him to speak directly to commissioners at a private session.

The fact commissioners had to vote a motion of confidence in Ducharme suggests the unusual meeting wasn't a wise one. Ducharme, feeling like a coach that's been given the proverbial kiss of death, figured his stay was over and quit in a strongly-worded letter. "The first hint that a union can go around management and get to the political decision-makers, undermines the process. That, apparently, is the charge that Rick brings to support his allegations. People were going around him," said one source close to the issue.

Ducharme's letter to TTC employees said: "I've always been a straight-shooter, however, when some Commission members choose to undermine my role and responsibilities then, the game is over!"

Moscoe took offence at the words. So did Miller, obviously.

So, now the transit commission meets in a special session today, trying to decipher legal opinions on how to get rid of Ducharme before the Nov. 30 date he says he wants to leave, without incurring a higher than normal severance package for the man earning more than $254,000 a year.

Late yesterday, the Millerites were circulating a letter calling for Ducharme's immediate departure. At least two commissioners, Brian Ashton and Bill Saundercook, didn't sign. There could be a little bit of fencing today, but Ducharme should be gone the end of the month.

Based on what I see taking place at TTC meetings these past years, it is comes as no surprised to me to see Mr. Ducharme resigns.

He has had his hands tied for years by a few commissioners and the lack of funding by the City itself.

He call for all major capital purchase to be done by RFP which I agree with, but a few commissioners say it must go to Thunder Bay at a higher cost and longer time line.

I only have to look at the current LRT replacement delay cause by ordering the new subway train. Then look at the in fight within the commission over how the the new train is to look.

ROTM is supplying the equipment for Vancouver new line. They are also supplying bi-level coaches for Translink normal made in Thunder Bay because they could do it for $100 Million US cheaper.

The current commissioners needs to be given walking papers with the exception of 3 of them and M not one of them.

TTC needs some house cleaning on the upper levels also.

It is also time to do some Union busting for a number of reasons.

Who do you think was calling the shots on the labour issues these past few months as it was not Mr. Ducharme.

Before people thinks I am a fan of Mr. Ducharme, my views of him have mellow over the years, but he was not the person to run TTC.

If 3 general manager have resign under the same few commissioners each time, that should send a clear message some thing is wrong.

Bob Kinnear will only receive a slap on the hand from the city as well from the commissioners for what has happen these past 2 weeks and in the coming weeks.

Back