News   Aug 07, 2024
 250     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 323     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 266     0 

Star: Parkway Mall Metro store nominated as heritage property

I grew up in this neighbourhood and I'm happy to see that this local landmark is going to get some official recognition. Although I'm still worried that we'll be loosing a lot of interesting post-war commercial architecture as these smaller malls and plazas get squashed by bland, ill-conceived condo developments.

I grew up in this neighbourhood and I'm happy to see that this local landmark is going to get some official recognition. Although I'm still worried that we'll be loosing a lot of interesting post-war commercial architecture as these smaller malls and plazas get squashed by bland, ill-conceived condo developments.

It'd take a very concerted effort to build anything as bland as the average post-war commericial building, which includes every square inch of Parkway other than the Dominion.

Would the heritage designation apply to the whole commercial plaza or just the Grand Union/Dominion/Metro?

I could envision the arched structure as a grand common lobby with amenities attached to 2 towers, one on each wing.

Sorry for the bad mock up ...

Attachments

• metroparkwaymalltorontopg2.jpg
    metroparkwaymalltorontopg2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 330
lol that's worth saving???

It looks like the shed at Yonge and Sheppard that Tridel's new building will be removing ... thankfully :)

Well, why not. They're basically sister buildings, and probably share common origins. Except that the Yonge/Sheppard one got a silly 80s plaster-PoMo front slapped on, and has been redlined for redevelopment for ages, so the same sentimental grassroots aren't there. (But you can still get a sense of it inside.)

US: I think there were (and still remain in some form or another?) a number of arched Safeway-type groceries up and down the Left Coast, Vancouver not excluded--out there, of course, laminated wood roofing pyrotechnics were practically indigenous. So consider Parkway Mall as a West Coast import.

It'd take a very concerted effort to build anything as bland as the average post-war commericial building, which includes every square inch of Parkway other than the Dominion.

The current incarnation of Parkway, of course. But judging by the 1958rendering, including that canasta-reel pavilion in front of the Grand Union (imagine if that survived!), you might think differently if the balance of the mall survived enclosure...

I quite like this building. I like the glass on the front, it's really cool. I would like to see the roof redone though. It looks crappy with the shingles.

I quite like this building. I like the glass on the front, it's really cool. I would like to see the roof redone though. It looks crappy with the shingles.

Your correct, the brown shingles are all wrong. I lived a little east of there, A&P at Lawrence/Warden & this Miracle Mart were our food shopping stores. Now I haven't been by here in well over 10 years but something is different with the roof. It wasn't brown shingles, but I can't be sure of what it was. I lived near there from the 60's 'til the early 80's.
Does anyone have any recollections?

Back