News   Jun 24, 2024
 159     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.9K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

well, after a very frustrating day it turns out we will not be moving in 2 weeks!!..The builder apparently thought it appropriate to get their lawyers to tell our lawyers that we had been delayed, shame no one thought to tell us!! We were going to give our notice today, but did not, as no one would give me a straight answer as to what was going on.

Net result is a delay till mid April...not that much, but annoying all the same.

If anyone else was expecting to PDI/move soon, best to contact your lawyer, coz Willowfield won't be telling you direct(that would be far too much like common sense...).

They pulled the same thing on me. Thankfully my lawyer called me that very day to advise.

Installation of washer, dryer, dishwasher

During our PDI, we were told that the builder will install the dishwasher, washer and dryer. I was given a sheet with the phone number to contact on the building site to let them know when the appliances arrive. It stated that they will try to install them within 48 hours after delivery. This came as a surprise to me because several weeks ago, we received a letter from the Willowfield Winchester Head Office clearly stating that installation of the appliances was our responsibility.

If anyone else was expecting to PDI/move soon, best to contact your lawyer, coz Willowfield won't be telling you direct(that would be far too much like common sense...).

I'm sorry to hear that. Must be very frustrating for you. I made sure to contact my lawyer about this and lo and behold, I was informed through my lawyer - not through Willowfield - that my suite was delayed until the end of March.

Bugeyed, was this the general "flood delay" that everyone experienced or is this a new delay on top of the initial one? I'm curious because I've only been pushed back 2 weeks because of the flooding; if they push it again, into April, I'm going to be forced out of my current apartment and most likely have to start looking for a campsite...

This came as a surprise to me because several weeks ago, we received a letter from the Willowfield Winchester Head Office clearly stating that installation of the appliances was our responsibility.

I was also confused about this, but after speaking to Lana, it appears that appliances will be installed in the sky suites, but not the town homes. This is their general policy, according to her. However, if you're one of the town home owners, it's probably best if you checked again when your buildings are closer to completion. The way their information periodically changes, you'd probably only get a proper answer after much incessant pestering when the time comes.

Accommodation issues

I am being told its due to the flooding...I was given a number @ Norstar to call if I was having accomodation issues - Esmeralda nandi x 1203 , (the surname spelling might be off) - I didn't enquire as to what the 'help' might be.

I have no idea re fitting the appliances, but its not difficult, have done them before, so if I have to again, not bothered.

We had received a letter from the developer with a confirmed-revised-final move in date of Feb 20. On Feb 14, we were informed by our lawyer that the move in had changed to March 6 (due to the flooding). That was the easy part...trying to book time on the elevator for the move in was impossible..eventually had to get the lawyer involved. Anyway, Esmeralda can arrange accommodation paid for by the builder....this was also a bit of a challenge. Good luck.

Standard granite counter top

When we made our colour/final selections, I was not aware that the standard granite counter top was going to be so thin. Was anyone else aware of this? Is the upgrade counter top thicker? How much was the charge for the upgrade granite counter top?

Security guard

fyi...there's no security on site and really no plans from the builder. There are signs posted around saying not to open doors to strangers. The builder will let the residents decide if a security gaurd is required. In my opinion, a security gaurd should be needed at least in the evening. The lobby is suppose to have a security desk based on what the builder is saying.

I don't know about anyone else...but everyone is going to be a stranger in the beginning...dahh......

Update. A small amount of water has caused some damage in the storage units. There is an issue of water down in that part of the building and I hope the builder is taking care of it. It only takes a little water to ruin things sitting on the floor as we witnessed last night from a couple dealing with the issue.

Anyone in a tribeca, the hoses Appliance Canada provides for your washer/dryer are too short. We installed our own appliances (except the dishwasher, the builder did it for us after a week). You will need 6 foot hoses. The local hardeware guy said he will order more. Not Home Hardware, the Mom and Pop store on Parliament. (I like to use local merchants it keeps Cabbagetown authentic)

Either way, you (Blight of Downtown) condo newbies serve as a cautionary tale for others considering buying a new home. Sounds like fun! (But I'd rather live in a trailer:)

Blight of Downtown? Are we back to name calling again? It's easy to sit behind your computer and pass judgment as an armchair critic, but this thread has obviously become a place for future owners of this building to discuss issues constructively. There's no need to continue mocking the building unnecessarily. We've heard it all before - funny name, conservative design, etc. We are quite aware of your opinion on this building, which you've voiced many times; however, those of us who have purchased a suite, obviously see something in the building that you don't. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the criticisms and rightfully do much of the criticizing myself, but there's no reason that the sentiment, "this building sucks," needs to be repeated ad nauseam. Hopefully, we can stop with the bashing and continue with the great string of informative posts.

Tough. Christopher Hume has been grading finished condos for years. It's like walking through a residential nabe at night (my favourite hobby:): I always make a note of the "crappy" houses and the few gems I'd consider buying! Enjoy your new home, yes; but I can still judge the exterior shell! Into cars? I love to make judgements of a person's character based on the colour, make and model of their car! (For eg, drive a beige Toyota Camry? You're a bore;)

With all the Brits buying into this development though, perhaps I should call it the Blighty of Downtown!;)

Well, no sense in arguing about opinions and values. Everyone is indeed entitled to their own, so I'll just leave it at that.

Back on topic - was an explanation given as to why the west windows are smaller than the east facing ones?

Back